Iowa Fans Nasty Chants

mnsports255

Banned
Reaction score
Directed towards Trevor Mbakwe.

"DUI"

And "He's still drunk"

That's pretty low. Bad karma to Iowa hopefully. Don't like to see an individual player attacked like that. Maybe it fires Trev up here on going forward?

As a Gopher fan, sure it sucks. But, I was chuckling. Student sections are supposed to be hostile and work to get in players' heads. No extreme vulgarity. Somewhat clever and if it was the Barnyard, I'd really be laughing at what was going on.

As a Gopher fan, sure it sucks. But, I was chuckling. Student sections are supposed to be hostile and work to get in players' heads. No extreme vulgarity. Somewhat clever and if it was the Barnyard, I'd really be laughing at what was going on.

Yep. Exactly my thoughts.

It would be bad if it was a Juan Dixon-like level.

To me, those chants are fair play. That was something Trevor did, it was a free will decision, and it was a stupid decision. That is really different than making fun of things like an ACL injury or a dead grandma like we have seen in recent history.

I have no problem with fans using a chant to hassle a player over something that was under his own control.

"DUI"

And "He's still drunk"

That's pretty low. Bad karma to Iowa hopefully. Don't like to see an individual player attacked like that. Maybe it fires Trev up here on going forward?

I sure hope you're not a fan of the "*&(^ Bo Ryan" chants.

Ya, I feel kinda bad for Trevor when he has to endure that, but he is 100% responsible for it. His ACL injury is off limits. His DUI. Student sections can and should take advantage of that.

Chants are great. Back in the day Antoine Joubert got the CBA chant from the Gopher students it was great...

To me, those chants are fair play. That was something Trevor did, it was a free will decision, and it was a stupid decision. That is really different than making fun of things like an ACL injury or a dead grandma like we have seen in recent history.

+1

I like Trevor, but he brought that on himself, and I don't have a problem with Iowa fans hassling him for it. I don't think it's right to give players crap about unfortunate circumstances that are out of their control i.e. injuries, deceased friends/relatives, illnesses, growing up in poverty, or anything like that, which I don't think they did. But then I didn't hear any of the chants about Mbakwe's DUI. Still, I doubt they chanted anything that I would consider off-limits.

"DUI"

And "He's still drunk"

I sure hope it didn't hurt Trevor's feelings.

Was this is attempt to avoid the ban hammer? Post how cruel Iowa fans were for chanting DUI after making personal insults in the in-game thread.

The irony is that nobody has more drug/alcohol arrests than Iowa's football program.

I was really annoyed listening to the Iowa crowd cry despite the fact that they were getting every f'ing call. Joe/Rodney/Austin all were obviously fouled on layups with the refs swallowing their whistle. I was laughing at their reactions to every call...before the game became not funny anymore.

Was this is attempt to avoid the ban hammer? Post how cruel Iowa fans were for chanting DUI after making personal insults in the in-game thread.

Keep in mind, if you go start to finish in the in-game thread, two or three of us asked him to tone it down, only to have it fall on deaf ears, or should I say brain fart poster.

mnsports255 is generally an alright guy, but today he was acting like the 16 year old he is, but drunk instead of sober. He will learn.

I couldn't stand listening to the first 10 minutes. They literally cried over every single play and there was absolutely nothing close to a missed or incorrect call almost every time. I don't think I've ever noticed unjustified crying in any sport at that level.

I was really annoyed listening to the Iowa crowd cry despite the fact that they were getting every f'ing call. Joe/Rodney/Austin all were obviously fouled on layups with the refs swallowing their whistle. I was laughing at their reactions to every call...before the game became not funny anymore.

I couldn't stand listening to the first 10 minutes. They literally cried over every single play and there was absolutely nothing close to a missed or incorrect call almost every time. I don't think I've ever noticed unjustified crying in any sport at that level.

Really? I mean, it was definitely comical, but it isn't uncommon at all... the home crowd always thinks it is being ripped off. I didn't think the officiating (big picture) was that bad, and I did find it funny how upset they got over and over again, but they weren't anything that most crowds aren't.

It's like that every game with their fans. I always laugh at the guy in the front row, just to the right of the half court line on the near side when watching the game on tv. He really gets into every call.

hard to be holier than thou on that one-- doesn't our student section do the same thing? And sometimes to one of ours? who was the Minneapolis area kid that drunked out of Iowa and then played at Winona State-- I think our student section went after him when they came to the barn.

hard to be holier than thou on that one-- doesn't our student section do the same thing? And sometimes to one of ours? who was the Minneapolis area kid that drunked out of Iowa and then played at Winona State-- I think our student section went after him when they came to the barn.

Anthony Tucker. And We did. And it was great, IMO.

To that extent? It was literally almost every single possession for that entire run we had in the beginning. Of course crowds are biased and complain a lot, especially when things aren't going their way, but most of those cries had absolutely no legitimacy. They weren't even booing questionable calls and no calls. They were just booing at stuff that wasn't there, and it was nonstop. I simply haven't noticed unwarranted crying to that extent for that many clustered possessions. It was pathetic.

Really? I mean, it was definitely comical, but it isn't uncommon at all... the home crowd always thinks it is being ripped off. I didn't think the officiating (big picture) was that bad, and I did find it funny how upset they got over and over again, but they weren't anything that most crowds aren't.

Top Bottom