Charging call on Austin

book

Reaction score
Am I wrong that that was a BS call?

i was at the game so had no instant replay to consult-- but live, I thought he traveled first.

Am I wrong that that was a BS call?
My buddy (we were both at the game) felt it was a good call. I disagreed, but at the time only because I feel all calls that go against the Gophers are wrong. Now after seeing the highlights on ESPN, it looked like Bruesewitz (sp?) leaned into Austin. That ref sure looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole. He ran right over to his buddy Bo looking for approval.

Block all the way

It's a bang-bang call that goes to the home team in most B1G games. The Gophers? Not so much. Does anyone think the Gophers get that call in reverse at the Kohl Center? No chance.

It's a bang-bang call that goes to the home team in most B1G games. The Gophers? Not so much. Does anyone think the Gophers get that call in reverse at the Kohl Center? No chance.

Agree. It was just on Sportscenter and they showed it, I rewound it and played it frame by frame. It appears that Hollins leaves his feet at about the same time that clown-boy (maybe) gets set. It's hard to tell, since the only angle they showed it from, clown-boy's left foot was obscured by Rodney. He stayed pretty much straight up, and angled he arms in only slightly, not enough for that to be the call.

But to the point that I am replying to, it seems that almost 100% of the time that goes to the home team. Not so much in this case.

Terrible call. You don't call that unless a player is set early, meaning the guy with the ball is out of control. He was only set right as Austin jumped. As mentioned, with the rolls reversed, no way they make that call in Madison.

It was close, but I agree with howeda in this case in that you would hope the Gophers would get the benefit of that call on their home floor. The charge call in college ball has gotten out of control.

I'd like it very much if one of the pleasant Badger fans who like to post here would weigh in with an opinion. None seem to be around. Funny. They all say that they're here to talk about the Badgers and here were are talking about the Badgers and none of them are around. Wonder what changed?

I'd like it very much if one of the pleasant Badger fans who like to post here would weigh in with an opinion. None seem to be around. Funny. They all say that they're here to talk about the Badgers and here were are talking about the Badgers and none of them are around. Wonder what changed?

Their mothers are bringing Unregistered User home to introduce him to their families.

It was close, but I agree with howeda in this case in that you would hope the Gophers would get the benefit of that call on their home floor. The charge call in college ball has gotten out of control.

Jay Bilas couldn't agree more lol. But seriously, it is getting ridiculous. I know we have our own "charge-taker" in Ingram, but it's getting insane how many of them they call, as though an offensive player can defy the laws of physics once they're already taking off and just stop moving mid-air.

The fact that the bad charge call led to one of the stupidest turnovers in years made the bad charge call well worth it.

Bad charge call, but hilarious 7th grade basketball turnover!

Go Gophers!!

From the TV replays it did look like a charge but it was close enough that the home team should have gotten the call. I think the reason that we didn't get the call was that it looked like Austin walked before the contact and the ref was partially reacting to that. Traveling would have been the more appropriate call.

The fact that the bad charge call led to one of the stupidest turnovers in years made the bad charge call well worth it.

Go Gophers!!

why do you hate 7th graders?

I thought it was a horrible call and Austin was already going up and red started to slide under him. Even if you wanna say that is a call that could go either way that is a call that I would expect to go our way at home in that situation.

I wish Tubby would work the refs more. He seems so accepting of their calls. Once in a while he spreads his hands but usually just sits and accepts it.

On that call it would have been nice if Tubby would have reacted a bit more like Bo and gone off on them.

He did get upset when the refs called the foul on the Badgers about 4 seconds after it alledgedly happened but that was about it last night.

It was a close game at the end and the charging foul should have been protested more in my opinion.

That was exactly my take as well.

I wish Tubby would work the refs more. He seems so accepting of their calls. Once in a while he spreads his hands but usually just sits and accepts it.

On that call it would have been nice if Tubby would have reacted a bit more like Bo and gone off on them.

He did get upset when the refs called the foul on the Badgers about 4 seconds after it alledgedly happened but that was about it last night.

It was a close game at the end and the charging foul should have been protested more in my opinion.

I wish refs wouldn't allow coaches to work them like they do. Guys like Ryan and Coach K get away with so much. Heck, did anyone see what Coach K's assist did the other night in their game against UNC? Wojciechowski got right in the face of one of the refs as the teams went to the locker rooms. Not only did he not get kicked out like he should have, he didn't even receive a technical.

I thought Austin walked prior to the contact...it was a toss up call, but if Austin had drivin all the way to the rim instead of trying to jump stop, he would have gotten the 2 points and the foul...Austin played it tentatively.

Personally, I thought that the no call on Bruezdimwitz block of Rodney was far worse. Rodney had the ball 5 inches above Bruezdimwitz hands and got racked across the forearm and the official called nothing. Horrible call...if you look at the replay you will see just how far down Rodney's arm he hits. Freaking redic.

I wish refs wouldn't allow coaches to work them like they do. Guys like Ryan and Coach K get away with so much. Heck, did anyone see what Coach K's assist did the other night in their game against UNC? Wojciechowski got right in the face of one of the refs as the teams went to the locker rooms. Not only did he not get kicked out like he should have, he didn't even receive a technical.

With you all the way on this notion. As much as we revile refs when they make calls against our team, they have an extremely difficult job. Made tougher by having the likes of a Bo Ryan constantly whining and face contorting at you. And that's the point I suppose, to force the refs to pay attention to your act and get him to think twice. Still, I'd love to see politicking in games by coaches cracked down on.

THIS

I've often had to remind the head coaches to keep their benches quiet. I can tolerate some back-and-forth from the head coach, but I have ZERO tolerance for the bench running their mouths.

Also, is there a video online of the charge? I was watching Hollins on the play and have no idea whether or not the charge was good.

Personally, I thought that the no call on Bruezdimwitz block of Rodney was far worse. Rodney had the ball 5 inches above Bruezdimwitz hands and got racked across the forearm and the official called nothing. Horrible call...if you look at the replay you will see just how far down Rodney's arm he hits. Freaking redic.

+1

I am a fan of both. Call could go either way, but being that the Gophers were the home team it should have went there way. It did not but Bruiser made a horrible mental mistake and karma established.

I am a fan of both. Call could go either way, but being that the Gophers were the home team it should have went there way. It did not but Bruiser made a horrible mental mistake and karma established.

I really hate that mentality. Things like home-cooking, star players getting calls, and make-up calls drive me bonkers. There is a right call, it is the ref's job to make it. Some calls are subjective, in which case it is the ref's job to be consistent while being blind to things like home team, who the player is, and who he screwed on his last bad call.

Go Gophers!!

How true. It was especially funny that the announcers were having a Bruesewitz lovefest about what a smart, veteran move that was to get planted and take the charge. Then he forgot basic basketball rules and gave away the game.

We could here the skin contact from the second deck on the other end of the court. Rodney got mugged. I was loud last night because it was a big game and this was the worst officiated game I have seen this season. That crew was brutal.

As long as we are on refs, this is not their fault, but there needs to be a two shots (and maybe the ball) for fouls from behind on a break away. Jackson tackling Andre after the steal was horrible, but at least it was called. The clutch and grabbers like Wiscy need to get really penalized for that crap. No attempt to play any real defense. I hate that.

Top Bottom