FOT, KyGopher - any insight to the Billy D to UK rumor?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
There seems to be a rumor flying around that once UK gets knocked out of it's memorable NIT run, that UK will relieve Billy G of his duties and eventually name Billy Donovan as the new HC at UK. Have you heard this at all?

Go Gophers!!

And Anthony Grant would be smiling

That would certainly make Anthony Grant's decision a lot easier. Eddie Munster (Billy D) to Kentucky, then Florida would gobble up former Billy D assistant Grant quicker than a hiccup.

I keep hearing Tubby say he's happy in Minnesota. Gotta believe that. :) I wonder who got the better deal .. him for being out of that snakepit or us for having him as our coach ?

Could be a possibility. UK may be desperate enough to make the money offer overwhelming and Billy D. may have found re-loading at Florida difficult to do. I really believe BG has shot himself "dead" at UK with his remarks of not wanting to be an ambassador for the program. He has now alienated the ticket-buying ( and T-shirt buying) public, former players and coaches, and snubbed the money-pockets. Income from the sale of shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc etc is way down since his debacles. On the other hand Billy D now has the the opportunity to "save" a program from total demise where that was not the case before Billy G arrived. The current players must be leaving: NBA or transferring ( as did Alex Legion ). The Head Coach is more than X's and O's on the court. Billy G has not shown to be willing to fill any role. His 12,000 sq ft mansion didn't add to his fan base. Long time fans are not happy. If the AD doesn't act quickly, he may be next. Do not underestimate the power and clout of the money-pockets.....huge money-pockets like the ones who build practice facilities.

It was necessary for Monson to be replaced because of the empty seats at the Barn and his poor recruiting. There is no possibility of an empty seat at Rupp Arena anytime soon and Billy G has some good looking recruits coming to UK. It would take 6 million $ to buy him out. That is alot of Tshirts.

Didn't Donovan turn them down the after Tubby left?

There seems to be a rumor flying around that once UK gets knocked out of it's memorable NIT run, that UK will relieve Billy G of his duties and eventually name Billy Donovan as the new HC at UK. Have you heard this at all?

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, that's the big rumor going on right now. What I hear is that it's certain that the UK will go after Billy D. first. The question is will he come here? Pitino is very adamant against Donovan going to UK. Pitino is like a mentor to Billy D., so what Pitino thinks carries a lot of weight. I would be shocked if Donovan came to UK actually. He's getting paid $3 mil already. Why come go the pressure cooker?

After Donovan, I hear that they may make a run at Izzo, which would probably delight most Gopher fans.

Yeah, that's the big rumor going on right now. What I hear is that it's certain that the UK will go after Billy D. first. The question is will he come here? Pitino is very adamant against Donovan going to UK. Pitino is like a mentor to Billy D., so what Pitino thinks carries a lot of weight. I would be shocked if Donovan came to UK actually. He's getting paid $3 mil already. Why come go the pressure cooker?

After Donovan, I hear that they may make a run at Izzo, which would probably delight most Gopher fans.

I'm not sure I see Izzo leaving MSU, but you never know. What about Jay Wright? Wasn't he a candidate the last time the job was open? He has a monster recruiting class coming next year, and he is solid coach. Nova is a good job, but I'm always surprised more of the top 10 programs don't go after him.

I always think the coaching changes/speculation are fun to watch at the end of each season. As long as Tubby is not involved.

I'm genuinely curious why Izzo would want to leave MSU. I assume his compensation is pretty good, his reputation is sterling, his program is on sound footing.

Would it just be "change-of-pace" or is there something that I'm unaware of?

Good point Snowman. If Izzo and Tubby are friends as it's been reported, and they've chatted, I would think the fact that Tubby came here to get out of the Kentucky fishbowl would give Izzo serious pause about making a move to Lexington. The only reason for Izzo to go from MSU to Kentucky right now would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. At this point in time (because of Izzo's success) there's certainly no more prestige being the head coach at Kentucky (Hillbilly-Yellow Teeth U) than there is at MSU. Quite frankly Michigan State is a better program than Kentucky and will remain so as long as Izzo stays at MSU.

MSU = probably not quite as much money but a better job with a loyal base and an overall athletic program on the rise, minus having at its core a fan base filled with the lunatic zealots Kentucky has. I'd be very surprised if Izzo left East Lansing for Lexington. Izzo to Arizona? Maybe I could see that. Kentucky? No.

Would it just be "change-of-pace" or is there something that I'm unaware of?

Typical Kentucky arrogance I would suspect.

After all - Kentucky is the best job in college basketball. The best fans. The best facilities. Top compensation - if you win. If you lose though, well, it's signs in your yard, moving trucks parked outside, bumper stickers, websites, messageboards, etc.

They think they should be able to get any coach they want. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to go ? :)

Go Gophers!!

Sorry, no insight here.

I happen to think Gillispie deserves more time to show what he can do.

Tally right now:

Minnesota 42-25

Kentucky 40-26

Calipari is higher on the list than U think.

I still think (and actually prefer) that Gillispie gets 2-3 more years to show results.

Tubby averages 24-9 in his career and about 2 W per NCAA appearance.

Gillispie averages 20-12 in his career and under 1 W per NCAA appearance.

IZZO

I have to agree with previously stated sentiments. MSU is a better place for Izzo than UK, as much as I would love to see him leave the big 10!

The only good thing about the UK job would be the excellent seats for the Derby !

Beyond that, eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :p:p:p

Calipari would be the perfect fit for UK

Cal's smooth. He's got the coaching pedigree and perhaps most importantly he's got the moxie, stones & the chip on his shoulder to handle all that the UK lunatics would throw at him. I've gotta' believe Calipari at some point in his career wants to prove he's a truly elite coach (IMO he's already proven that) by winning big at a BCS program. ... no offense to UMass and Memphis.

What more does he need to prove at Memphis? At some point it's gotta' get old beating up on the likes of East Carolina, Houston, Marshall, SMU, Tulane, etc., every single season.

Could be a possibility. UK may be desperate enough to make the money offer overwhelming and Billy D. may have found re-loading at Florida difficult to do. I really believe BG has shot himself "dead" at UK with his remarks of not wanting to be an ambassador for the program. He has now alienated the ticket-buying ( and T-shirt buying) public, former players and coaches, and snubbed the money-pockets. Income from the sale of shirts, hats, sweatshirts, etc etc is way down since his debacles. On the other hand Billy D now has the the opportunity to "save" a program from total demise where that was not the case before Billy G arrived. The current players must be leaving: NBA or transferring ( as did Alex Legion ). The Head Coach is more than X's and O's on the court. Billy G has not shown to be willing to fill any role. His 12,000 sq ft mansion didn't add to his fan base. Long time fans are not happy. If the AD doesn't act quickly, he may be next. Do not underestimate the power and clout of the money-pockets.....huge money-pockets like the ones who build practice facilities.

Billy D. has reloaded at Florida previously(i.e. after the Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem team that lost in the national title game to MSU) and can do it again. He has already turned them down before and I don't see him leaving Florida where they can match any money that Kentucky can and he doesn't have to deal with living up to the legends of former coaches. Also, Florida has more talent in the state for him to recruit than Kentucky.

Good point Snowman. If Izzo and Tubby are friends as it's been reported, and they've chatted, I would think the fact that Tubby came here to get out of the Kentucky fishbowl would give Izzo serious pause about making a move to Lexington. The only reason for Izzo to go from MSU to Kentucky right now would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. At this point in time (because of Izzo's success) there's certainly no more prestige being the head coach at Kentucky (Hillbilly-Yellow Teeth U) than there is at MSU. Quite frankly Michigan State is a better program than Kentucky and will remain so as long as Izzo stays at MSU.

MSU = probably not quite as much money but a better job with a loyal base and an overall athletic program on the rise, minus having at its core a fan base filled with the lunatic zealots Kentucky has. I'd be very surprised if Izzo left East Lansing for Lexington. Izzo to Arizona? Maybe I could see that. Kentucky? No.

Hey, that offends me. My one tooth is very white, thank you. :D

I would also say that thinking the fans on the internet represent the majority of all fans is not a very good assumption.

Believe me, if Billy G. is fired, it's not because of fan unrest.

Part of me wonders if Coach Cal knows a good thing and continues under the radar at Memphis. Kentucky brings a whole lot of attention, attention that Cal might not want (i.e., a closer examination of the relationship between himself and "Worldwide Wes"). That's purely speculation on my part, but his name came up for Kentucky previously and for N.C. State when that opened up, you wonder if he playing it shrewdly and avoiding the specter of bright lights that the truly powerful teams/conferences/media brings.

article on Worldwide Wes, previously posted by someone else on the Hole:
http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_5735

I don't think Izzo would go there. I do think that MSU is always at risk of losing Izzo to the NBA at some point.

The only way Izzo leaves MSU is if he believes that the economy is about to turn Michigan into a 3rd world country (which is possible.)

There's a reason Calipari has only coached at UMass and Memphis. He's always struck me as a bit of a dirty rat, but I never trust a coach with slick hair. I do think there were some issues at UMass right after he left? And he gets any kid with a pulse into Memphis, something he would not be able to do other places.

As for Donovan, there's no real reason for him to leave UF, but I get the sense watching them play that he's burned out. There's a reason he flirted with the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere else if not UK. (Shockingly his name has come up at UVA though not seriously.)

MSU is a better place for Izzo than UK, as much as I would love to see him leave the big 10!

I think Izzo is good for the Big Ten and I would not want to see him leave. The more good coaches the Big Ten gets the better off the league is. JMO

As for KY and Calipari, they deserve each other. Calipari would finally have the job his ego needs and KY would have a Great Coach just like Eddie Sutton was NCAA sanctions and all.

In Olympic Scoring . . .

Sorry, no insight here.

I happen to think Gillispie deserves more time to show what he can do.

Tally right now:

Minnesota 42-25

Kentucky 40-26

The "degree of difficulty" points Tubby would be given - when considering the relative standing of these 2 programs entering the 07-08 year, and subsequently exiting the 08-09 year - makes Tubby's numbers even more convincing than simple wins and losses (although it is delicious that he actually leads in that category anyway)!

I think izzo has his dream job at this point. He's good.

UK President Lee Todd said a decision on Gillispie will come in about 48 hours. A lot of respected journalists say already that it's a done deal that Gillispie is gone. UK will go after Donovan again. He's going to be their #1.

It sounds like it will be announced on Friday that the Billy G era is over. What a ride.

Go Gophers!!

UK President Lee Todd said a decision on Gillispie will come in about 48 hours. A lot of respected journalists say already that it's a done deal that Gillispie is gone. UK will go after Donovan again. He's going to be their #1.

I think the decision will be ANNOUNCED within 48 hours but it was already made weeks ago.

Donovan, maybe. Or Calipari. Guys like that (with FF experience).

How much money is Kentucky going to have to throw at their chosen candidate? And even with that, why would the likes of Donovan, Izzo, Jay Wright, Mark Few, John Calipari, etc. step into this pressure cooker after seeing what occurred with the last two coaches and evaluating their own situation, where they are millionaires, beloved, and life is rolling along pretty good?

I wonder if jobs like Alabama football and Kentucky basketball are evolving into 'untouchable jobs' but in a negative way. Combine the rabid immediacy of today's media with the fact that you don't have to go to one of the traditional powers anymore to carve out a great living, program, etc. and who does the job appeal to? Nick Saban, Billy Gillispie. . .not exactly your ambassador of the program types, no matter how great a coaches they may be. I have a feeling this coaching search for Kentucky will be fascinating (without any worries about our coach being mentioned in the proceedings :))

How much money is Kentucky going to have to throw at their chosen candidate? And even with that, why would the likes of Donovan, Izzo, Jay Wright, Mark Few, John Calipari, etc. step into this pressure cooker after seeing what occurred with the last two coaches and evaluating their own situation, where they are millionaires, beloved, and life is rolling along pretty good?

I wonder if jobs like Alabama football and Kentucky basketball are evolving into 'untouchable jobs' but in a negative way. Combine the rabid immediacy of today's media with the fact that you don't have to go to one of the traditional powers anymore to carve out a great living, program, etc. and who does the job appeal to? Nick Saban, Billy Gillispie. . .not exactly your ambassador of the program types, no matter how great a coaches they may be. I have a feeling this coaching search for Kentucky will be fascinating (without any worries about our coach being mentioned in the proceedings :))

Our coach could be indirectly involved. If UK pulls a coach from a prominent non B10 program then the rumors will start all over again about Tubby being a candidate for the newly vacated job.

Top Bottom