Doogie talks Tubby's contract, says Teague/Ellis follow recruiting closely, etc.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Doogie was on with Judd & Dubay. He discussed Gopher hoops for a few minutes. Here are notes about what he said. These are not verbatim, but close. Here is a link to the entire podcast:

http://www.1500espn.com/ondemand/

Doogie on what happens if Gophers make Tourney and don’t win game…I think there is a better chance that Tubby is forced to make a move on Saul Smith and I think Vince Taylor could end up with a head coaching job, so there could be a few openings on the staff. It’s atypical for someone like Mike Ellis or Norwood Teague to go to a coach and tell them to make a coaching change, then you add the element that it could be Saul. If they win a few more games and make the NCAA Tournament I still think Tubby will be here. But if the season dovetails and they miss the Tournament, I’ll tell you what, I was told Norwood reached out to a semi-influential donor Sunday night. So this is 9 or 10-o’clock on Sunday night after the Illinois game. Teague is in Chicago for the Big Ten football meetings. He watched the game on the Big Ten Network and he reached to this donor. The donor wouldn’t tell me what was discussed, but put it this way, Teague was not soliciting this individual for money for a practice facility two hours after a loss. It makes me think, is Teague reaching out to other donors? JB Bauer referenced that Smith’s buy-out is north of $3 million.

Doogie on recruiting…It’s interesting. Mike Ellis and Norwood Teague pay attention to recruiting more than just about 99% of the administrators in this country at the college level. It’s just an obsession. Those two guys talk to the Dave Telep of ESPN’s of the world. So these guys are well aware of how important to land at least one of these guys (2014 in-state Big 3). It’s unrealistic to get all 3.

Doogie on Big 3 update…Tubby saw Tyus on Tuesday night. Roy Williams will be at Rashad’s game tomorrow night and Bill Self will be back a week or two from now. Reid Travis is still deciding between basketball and football. I’m hearing UCLA will make a football offer soon. Arizona recently offered in basketball.

Go Gophers!!

When you are competing with Arizona, Kansas, North Carolina, etc. it almost seems you need some excitement around your program to compete, I'm afraid that doesn't exist and momentum is going the other way, I think recruiting was the final straw with Monson and it may be the very same issue with Smith if he doesn't land any of the big three.

I wonder if Teague could pull off buying out Tubby and announcing simultaneously the hiring of a new (somewhat prestigious coach) and that construction on the new practice facility would begin very shortly. If a donor is willing to donate for Tubby buyout, why not donate some for the practice facility to get the new coach off to a solid start.

When you are competing with Arizona, Kansas, North Carolina, etc. it almost seems you need some excitement around your program to compete, I'm afraid that doesn't exist and momentum is going the other way, I think recruiting was the final straw with Monson and it may be the very same issue with Smith if he doesn't land any of the big three.

IMO The big 3 were never going to commit here because of the winning and prestige of MN. they weren't going to commit here to get to the NBA (They'll do that regardless)

The main reason(s) they commit here would be for a convenient way of teaming up together, and the main one, home town pride. If they are coming to MN it is because they want to play in front of their family every night and to bring winning to their home state university. None of those reasons change based on coach, wins, practice facility, etc. that is the one advantage we have over every other school offering these kids and luckily it is an impossible advantage to take away.

I wonder if Teague could pull off buying out Tubby and announcing simultaneously the hiring of a new (somewhat prestigious coach) and that construction on the new practice facility would begin very shortly. If a donor is willing to donate for Tubby buyout, why not donate some for the practice facility to get the new coach off to a solid start.
Its a master facility plan for all sports don't think he would do that and I don't think you can negotiate with a coach unless you don't have a coach.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, not suggesting any way whatsoever.

What is more exciting?

Tubby righting the ship, Gophs go 10-8 in the B1G and win 2 or 3 Conference Tournament games and win one game in the Tournament (AKA Tubby stays and the program has a good end of the season)

OR

Season ends on a average to down note, we fire Tubby and land (just throwing names to illustrate) a Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart type personality/face for the program

AAAAAANNNNNNDDDD

Teague announces a new practice facility/remodeling of the Barn package to break ground in the next semester?

What gets recruits more excited? New Coach/Facilities? Or a turnaround of the program.

I'm inclined that if I was given the choice, I'd push for option numero dos.....

Just for sh!ts and giggles, not suggesting any way whatsoever.

What is more exciting?

Tubby righting the ship, Gophs go 10-8 in the B1G and win 2 or 3 Conference Tournament games and win one game in the Tournament (AKA Tubby stays and the program has a good end of the season)

OR

Season ends on a average to down note, we fire Tubby and land (just throwing names to illustrate) a Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart type personality/face for the program

AAAAAANNNNNNDDDD

Teague announces a new practice facility/remodeling of the Barn package to break ground in the next semester?

What gets recruits more excited? New Coach/Facilities? Or a turnaround of the program.

I'm inclined that if I was given the choice, I'd push for option numero dos.....

But one can happen and the other is simply a dream.

IMO The big 3 were never going to commit here because of the winning and prestige of MN. they weren't going to commit here to get to the NBA (They'll do that regardless)

The main reason(s) they commit here would be for a convenient way of teaming up together, and the main one, home town pride. If they are coming to MN it is because they want to play in front of their family every night and to bring winning to their home state university. None of those reasons change based on coach, wins, practice facility, etc. that is the one advantage we have over every other school offering these kids and luckily it is an impossible advantage to take away.

If all three committed here, the Gophers would be a national title contender - every bit the contender as any other program they might choose. It would take all three to make that, but that's what it would be. I don't buy that the only reason you choose Minnesota is hometown pride or convenience.

If all three committed here, the Gophers would be a national title contender - every bit the contender as any other program they might choose. It would take all three to make that, but that's what it would be. I don't buy that the only reason you choose Minnesota is hometown pride or convenience.

They could all 3 go to UK and do the same thing though. If Tyus signs alone or with Jahlil at Duke it's a national title contender, if Vaughn signs with UNC they are a national title contender, etc. That opportunity isn't unique to MN. If the three were from Texas, they don't even consider MN. The Gophers are considered and would be chosen for many reasons, but primarily due to it being their hometown school.

I would tend to disagree with that.(if I'm taking you right).

If they are truly considering MN, I think the difference between the Gophers being a solid program and a struggling, or floundering program, would weigh heavily on their decision.

I also would think if they aren't sure the coach will even be around very long would affect their decision. I would think the perception is Tubby's tenure is shaky at present time.

I'm starting to believe if the Gophers replaced Tubby with a known coach at the end of this season we would have a better chance of landing any of the big three. Obviously I have no idea.

I would tend to disagree with that.(if I'm taking you right).

If they are truly considering MN, I think the difference between the Gophers being a solid program and a struggling, or floundering program, would weigh heavily on their decision.

I also would think if they aren't sure the coach will even be around very long would affect their decision. I would think the perception is Tubby's tenure is shaky at present time.

I'm starting to believe if the Gophers replaced Tubby with a known coach at the end of this season we would have a better chance of landing any of the big three. Obviously I have no idea.

Agree to disagree then.

I just look at what MN has to offer over somewhere like UK and I look at: tradition? Nope. Recent success? Nope. Coach? Nope. Facilities? Nope. NBA prospects? Nope. Ability to win a title? Nope. Playing time? Nope.

The reasons you'd choose MN over UK is academics, prefer a larger city, or hometown pride and putting your hometown on the map and playing in front of your family and friends. I don't think any of those things change no matter how we do this year or who is the head coach.

Now, if Tyus or Vaughn or Travis hates Tubby or hates Tubby's offense, then yeah, it could play a negative factor. I just don't see them saying, I choose MN because I like Tubby better than K or Cal. Or that they need MN to win without them to prove they can win with them. The big 3 will win regardless where they go, even if it is Northern Iowa and I believe they know that.

Agree to disagree then.

I just look at what MN has to offer over somewhere like UK and I look at: tradition? Nope. Recent success? Nope. Coach? Nope. Facilities? Nope. NBA prospects? Nope. Ability to win a title? Nope. Playing time? Nope.

The reasons you'd choose MN over UK is academics, prefer a larger city, or hometown pride and putting your hometown on the map and playing in front of your family and friends. I don't think any of those things change no matter how we do this year or who is the head coach.

Now, if Tyus or Vaughn or Travis hates Tubby or hates Tubby's offense, then yeah, it could play a negative factor. I just don't see them saying, I choose MN because I like Tubby better than K or Cal. Or that they need MN to win without them to prove they can win with them. The big 3 will win regardless where they go, even if it is Northern Iowa and I believe they know that.

heh?

How much playing time has number 1 recruit Nerlens Noel gotten at UK? Starts doesn't he? I think playing time is pretty easy to come back for highly rated recruits at Kentucky.
Gotcha.
THey dont have that OVER them.. Read it as the GOphers couldnt offer playing time.

Mabad.

Love the rubes that follow doogie and sid and think they are learning something

Top Bottom