Sid on Wally Ellenson: "He might still get a redshirt season"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

"Wally Ellenson, the Gophers freshman from Rice Lake, Wis., has played in only 35 minutes over eight games, and he has been sidelined of late because of a strained Achilles' tendon. He might still get a redshirt season, even though coach Tubby Smith and the Gophers pulled him off that list earlier this year. If that doesn't happen, Ellenson made a big mistake by deciding not to redshirt this year, because he wasn't going to play much this season anyway."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/191132841.html

Go Gophers!!

I thought you couldn't redshirt if you played at all? Is he talking about a medical redshirt?

Sid Hartman needs to brush up on his NCAA rules regarding redshirts.

I find his column comical and not sure if it's supposed to be taken seriously.

Pretty certain he won't get it. Nevertheless, a wasted year of eligibility if he doesn't get it, but it sure sounds like that's what Wally and his family wanted. Can't blame Tubby for this one.

Wally Ellenson played last week against Michigan State and has played in 4 B1G conference games. He cannot and will not get a redshirt of any kind for this season. You cannot just give players limited minutes this deep into the season and then decide to redshirt due to an injury. This would be an abused loophole if it were allowed.

Indeed, this is a case of the Strib not understanding the requirements of a medical hardship waiver.

He might still get a redshirt season, but he can't and won't this season.

He might still get a redshirt season, but he can't and won't this season.

In theory I agree with you but it seems the NCAA is becoming more and more flexible on redshirts, although usually it is cases like Trevor's rather than first year players like Wally. I almost wonder if the NCAA has decided to be lenient to avoid a legal challenge that could knock down their whole house of cards.

I agree this is a wasted year for Wally. It may be what he wanted at the time but I hope Tubby gave him (and his family) a frank assessment of what his P/T would be. If he just said, "if Wally earns minutes, he will get minutes", then the family will likely be upset.

Wally wanting the redshirt pulled smacks of a player thinknig of transferring.

Wally wanting the redshirt pulled smacks of a player thinknig of transferring.

That's not how I viewed it. If my memory is correct, at the time of the decision the Gophers were rolling pretty good. ... they weren't yet in freefall mode. I viewed it as Wally thinking, "Hey, this has a chance to be a special season for Minnesota basketball, and I want to play any small part in it I can (even if sporadic minutes) rather than redshirt with no chance of contributing.

Put it this way.

Wally Ellenson and Nerlens Noel have the same case for getting a redshirt this season.

Put it this way.

Wally Ellenson and Nerlens Noel have the same case for getting a redshirt this season.

You are probably right but I have read a lot of absolute statements on the Gopherhole that have been incorrect, including Trevor will not get a 6th year and Penn State will not be sanctioned by the NCAA.

Certainly worth a try. I never thought Trever would get one.

That's not how I viewed it. If my memory is correct, at the time of the decision the Gophers were rolling pretty good. ... they weren't yet in freefall mode. I viewed it as Wally thinking, "Hey, this has a chance to be a special season for Minnesota basketball, and I want to play any small part in it I can (even if sporadic minutes) rather than redshirt with no chance of contributing.

What I had heard was that he only wanted to spend four years in school, so even if he redshirted, he would not be back for year 5.

What is interesting that has been missed in this discussion is that the basketball program is basically announcing that Wally will not play the rest of the year.*

*This assumes that this info was given to Sid by the program and the Gophers will try to get a redshirt. If Sid is just making this up (roughly 50/50 chance) then disregard the above comment.

I suepct Amelia will follow-up on this in the next day or so.

You are probably right but I have read a lot of absolute statements on the Gopherhole that have been incorrect, including Trevor will not get a 6th year and Penn State will not be sanctioned by the NCAA.

The difference in this case is that Trevor Mbakwe's injury happened early enough in the season where he had not played a certain % of games yet.

I believe Purdue did that this season with highly coveted Freshman Jay Simpson. Simpson hurt his ankle playing AAU ball over the summer and tried to play through the pain early in the season. They decided to shut him down before he had played too many games to waste a year of eligibility.

If Charles Buggs were to come off the bench tonight and break his leg 30 seconds later - he would not be eligible for a redshirt.

Certainly worth a try. I never thought Trever would get one.

Different situation and applicable bylaws - Trevor's issue was that of an additional year of eligibility (Five Year Rule Waiver)... his situation was fine in terms of a medical hardship waiver.

Wally will be fine. Worst case scenario: in a few years there will be a lot of complaining about how a stud senior isn't able to play one more year because of a decision made in 2012.

What I had heard was that he only wanted to spend four years in school, so even if he redshirted, he would not be back for year 5.

That's the perception I had, can't fault the kid for that, I kind of like it, he'll get plenty of playing time next year.

Or the Jess Settles rule? Or the Evan Eschmeyer rule?

Btw how many points did Eschmeyer have against the Gophers when they beat us? I assume he was a pretty instrumental part of that win. He still starts for them right?

per Amelia's Q&A:

Can Wally Ellenson still get redshirted?

@MrJohnson612

Technically, Ellenson could still get a medical redshirt because he’s been eligible for less than 30 percent of the team’s games (which is the cutoff). But Minnesota would have to convince the NCAA that Ellenson has a season ending-caliber injury, which, unless his strained Achilles has gotten a lot worse than the original diagnosis, it’s not. That said, Smith noted last week that the rehab was progressing slower than he planned.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/191819531.html

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia's Q&A:

Can Wally Ellenson still get redshirted?

@MrJohnson612

Technically, Ellenson could still get a medical redshirt because he’s been eligible for less than 30 percent of the team’s games (which is the cutoff). But Minnesota would have to convince the NCAA that Ellenson has a season ending-caliber injury, which, unless his strained Achilles has gotten a lot worse than the original diagnosis, it’s not. That said, Smith noted last week that the rehab was progressing slower than he planned.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/191819531.html

Go Gophers!!

That is incorrect.

One of the requirements (in addition to the less than 30% requirement and incapacitated requirements) is that the student-athlete has not played at all in the second half of the season. Wally Ellenson has (as calculated per 14.2.4.3.4.1).

Therefore, not eligible.

Or the Jess Settles rule? Or the Evan Eschmeyer rule?

Believe it or not, Brian Cardinal did not play 6 years at Purdue. He was redshirted as Frosh and then played 4 years - just like a normal redshirted player would. He was never injured.

Settles and Eschmeyer were granted 6th years just like Mbakwe.

That is incorrect.

One of the requirements (in addition to the less than 30% requirement and incapacitated requirements) is that the student-athlete has not played at all in the second half of the season. Wally Ellenson has (as calculated per 14.2.4.3.4.1).

Therefore, not eligible.

They have made such exceptions for injury's. It's not out of the question unless is is 'physically able' to play later this season.

Believe it or not, Brian Cardinal did not play 6 years at Purdue. He was redshirted as Frosh and then played 4 years - just like a normal redshirted player would. He was never injured.

Settles and Eschmeyer were granted 6th years just like Mbakwe.

Didn't Acie Earl play about 8 or 9 years at Iowa.

They have made such exceptions for injury's. It's not out of the question unless is is 'physically able' to play later this season.

He's not eligible under the rule. Sorry.

Almost nothing in this world is out of the question, but please - find me an example or two of such an exception.

Top Bottom