UCONN In Trouble

Reserve

Reaction score
The University of Connecticut violated NCAA rules in the recruitment of former guard Nate Miles, a six-month investigation by Yahoo! Sports has found.

Miles was provided with lodging, transportation, restaurant meals and representation by Josh Nochimson – a professional sports agent and former UConn student manager – between 2006 and 2008, according to multiple sources. A UConn assistant coach said he made Nochimson aware of the Huskies’ recruitment of Miles. Later, the assistant coach said he knew that Nochimson and Miles had talked.

As a representative of UConn’s athletic interests, NCAA rules barred Nochimson from having contact with Miles or from providing him with anything of value.

The relationship and UConn’s knowledge of the situation are potential major NCAA violations. The findings are part of Yahoo! Sports’ ongoing look into the changing role of agents and their impact on college basketball. Agents aren’t just recruiting players from college programs, they are recruiting players for them, according to an NCAA official

Kind of long read. More here ..

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-uconnphone032509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The NCAA has immediately began a strenuous investigation of Central Connecticut. These heinous allegations cannot go unpunished.

I think now would be once again a good time to ask Jim C. if he thinks he makes too much money :)

I wonder if the recruitment and time spent at UConn by our local hero was on the up and up.

Khalid?

I wonder if the recruitment and time spent at UConn by our local hero was on the up and up.

You are wondering if evil, cheating UConn broke the rules to lure Khalid El-Amin away from pure and virtuous Clem Haskins?

Wetzel

is a real journalist who covers basketball very well. I trust him. This is messy. The most galling piece of this is that they continued to recruit him after he was expelled by the university. Clearly, the basketball program at UConn believes it is bigger than the university. That is a very bad thing. Will this bring Coach Calhoun down? Or perhaps no one from the NCAA reads Yahoo sports.

Calhoun will retire 'because of health reasons'... They don't make the Final Four ... UCONN will lose a number of players, some to the draft, and UCONN won't be heard from for 4-5 years.... because of Calhouns 'health reasons' ... I can already hear Dickey V and (especially) ESPN talking heads singing the praises of Calhoun & UCONN.

You are wondering if evil, cheating UConn broke the rules to lure Khalid El-Amin away from pure and virtuous Clem Haskins?

I don't remember Clem cheating to get players here. Could you imagine the fallout if the investigation uncovered players riding in vintage Cadillacs with dime bags. Difference between Clem and the others that take short-cuts, Clem was stupid enough not to screen his components to his operation or keep them happy.

So if the NCAA gets really mad at UCONN, who will be the poor mid-major school that suffers?

Sacred Heart

They are in the neighborhood.

I can't believe that no one says Yahoo should have waited to publish this until after the Huskies lose.

This is great, now UCONN will be distracted and Purdue will pull off the upset to represent the big ten.

No doubt

This is great, now UCONN will be distracted and Purdue will pull off the upset to represent the big ten.

I'm hoping so. I'm road-tripping to PHX in the morning to watch the West Regionals (with a former Purdue student, no less) so I'm hoping Purdue represents the Big Ten well and pulls off the upset.

Go Boilers?

Nice call, Mikie...

So if the NCAA gets really mad at UCONN, who will be the poor mid-major school that suffers?

I love that old Tarkanian quote; "... the NCAA was so mad at Kentucky that they gave Cleveland State two more years of probation..."

Gotta love the old guy, cheating or not. He's at most of the current UNLV games, never sitting in the same place but usually close to the floor, enjoying the Rebel action.

Top Bottom