New Rodney Williams Highlight Video (more than just dunks)

GophersOnTheRise

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people saying that Rodney Williams is nothing but a dunker and will struggle in the Big Ten next year. Although it is true that he is raw at this point and needs to work on his shooting, he is more than just a dunker and I believe he will have an impact for us next season. He fits Tubby's system perfectly and has the potential to be a great defender for the Gophers as well as being a human highlight reel.

Here's a video I just made to kind of show a little bit more of his versatility that hasn't been shown in many other videos. The highlights are made from only two games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxTtU4G8Xo

Click on HQ to improve the picture quality.

What song is this? I can't put my finger on who the other is besides chamillionare. Nice video, by the way.

Thanks for the video. Looks like Rodney does a good job of keeping the ball in play after a block. It appears he has good vision and sometimes sends the block to a teammate. Awesome athlete. Already looking forward to next year.

I think it has been years since I've seen a high school highlight reel without hearing the word n***** being rapped in the background.

A lot of kids can jump. I would think that's a prerequisite for a good share of D-I college basketball players. Dunking's great for ESPN's top 10. I just hope after his stint as a Gopher Rodney's known more for being a complete basketball player than an emphatic dunker.

The biggest reason I think he'll play quite a bit next year is because of his potential as a defender. Most of the scouting reports I've read indicate not only is he a freakish athlete (which everybody already knows), but that he has the skills and talent to be a big-time defender at the college level. In fact, I think I remember ESPN calling him the best defender amongst small forwards in the country in this year's class.

If this happens to be true and he plays that kind of defense as a freshman next year, he'll see plenty of the court because Tubby loves kids who play defense. In addition, he'll add an extra dimension in transition because of his ability to go up and get it around the rim. All and all, I would agree that he still has a ways to go as far as his overall skills go. But he also adds an explosive level of athleticism and a potentially good defender to the mix from the start (at least, from what I've read and heard).

Yup that was kind of my point, he's not just a dunker. He has the potential to be a great defender. Not just a shot blocker, but someone who can lock a player down and harrass them when they have the ball too. Here's a link supporting it....has Royce as the second best scorer too: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recr...s/story?columnist=williams_antonio&id=3619615

And the song is Famous-Nobody to Blame ft. Chamillionaire

Really doesn't impress me that much. He is a man amongst boys. In college, he'll be the boy. (At least in his first year or two.) I have great expectations for him, but a big division I college recruit should play like that against your average high school basketball player. If he played in the McDonald's AA game, you'd be seeing something different.

I'm impressed cause unlike a lot of top talent, he actually competes on defense and challenges guys. How many players just let some of those layups go instead going in there and actually compete? He'll be able to contribute from day 1 just because of his ability to defend alone. And another key for him is he should be able to get his shots off easier because he can rise up over guys to get cleaner looks. Once he adds some bulk, he'll be tough to deal with for any team in the Big Ten, especially if he has a consistent jumper in his arsenal.

Ive seen him play against the top talent in many AAU games and he has been more than dominant in many. You also have to take into account that in high school he is getting double and triple teamed every game and still puts up 20 a game.

OK, two threes and two mid-range jumpers. Lots of blocks and some dunks.

Rodney is projected as a SF/SG and I saw few of the skills (and this is a highlight clip right?) that would apply to a wing. No ball handling, no passing, no creating your own shot (and this is a highlight clip right?). I absolutely do not see him at guard. At SF he's got a similar skill set to both DJ and Carter who both block some shots and have a (very) few threes to put on a highlight clip themselves.

One reason I have high hopes for Royce White is that he, potentially, adds some skills at SF (and PF) that Damian and Paul don't have.

OK, two threes and two mid-range jumpers. Lots of blocks and some dunks.

Rodney is projected as a SF/SG and I saw few of the skills (and this is a highlight clip right?) that would apply to a wing. No ball handling, no passing, no creating your own shot (and this is a highlight clip right?). I absolutely do not see him at guard. At SF he's got a similar skill set to both DJ and Carter who both block some shots and have a (very) few threes to put on a highlight clip themselves.

One reason I have high hopes for Royce White is that he, potentially, adds some skills at SF (and PF) that Damian and Paul don't have.

Considering these clips are all from one game, it is an impressive highlight clip. Wait and see what happens when this kid shows up at the barn this winter, you have no idea what kind player he is based on a youtube video.

Considering these clips are all from one game, it is an impressive highlight clip. Wait and see what happens when this kid shows up at the barn this winter, you have no idea what kind player he is based on a youtube video.
OK, for one game that's awesome. .

But is there a clip out there that shows some wing skills?

Mikie......

open your eyes......or your link to youtube.

This kid plenty of talent.....he already is a VERY good passer....and he can take the ball to the basket well. He does need work on some fundamentals. I don't see him get into a defensive stance much, and while his shooting percentage is not high, he does not have bad form. IF HE IS WILLING TO WORK, this kid is going to a very good player.

open your eyes......or your link to youtube.

This kid plenty of talent.....he already is a VERY good passer....and he can take the ball to the basket well. He does need work on some fundamentals. I don't see him get into a defensive stance much, and while his shooting percentage is not high, he does not have bad form. IF HE IS WILLING TO WORK, this kid is going to a very good player.
Bear with me because I have not seen him play in person.

he already is a VERY good passer

I'll take your word on this, the highlights I've seen have yet to show a single pass.

and he can take the ball to the basket well.
Again I will take your word for this.

And as I said in my previous post: " is there a clip out there that shows some wing skills." Is that an unfair question?

I'm with Mike S. Show me a video of his ball-handling skills.

That showed a high school kid playing defense. That's just stupid. We don't want no stinkin' defense in high school, we want highlight dunks.

I think it has been years since I've seen a high school highlight reel without hearing the word n***** being rapped in the background.

I agree, so unnecessary. other 4 letter words plentiful as well, not sure how that doesn't get old.

I agree, so unnecessary. other 4 letter words plentiful as well, not sure how that doesn't get old.

sorry, but it's impossible to pick a song that everyone will like. Regardless of what song is used there's going to be someone complaining.

Top Bottom