Amelia blog: Breaking down Trevor Mbakwe's touches in context

Wow, great article. This is what a sports writer should do. Amazing that none of the BOYS in her field is capable of doing any real analysis like this. They should all feel humiliated by this. As of course should Tubby. Trevor went 3 full games getting about 15 percent of the Gophers non-Andre touches and only about 1/3 of those in or near the paint. Say what you want about Ralph Sampson III, he got the ball to Trevor in the paint more than this year's group combined.

And as the article clearly implies, I guess we need to get EE back in the lineup in place of either Rodney or JC.

Wow, great article. This is what a sports writer should do. Amazing that none of the BOYS in her field is capable of doing any real analysis like this. They should all feel humiliated by this. As of course should Tubby. Trevor went 3 full games getting about 15 percent of the Gophers non-Andre touches and only about 1/3 of those in or near the paint. Say what you want about Ralph Sampson III, he got the ball to Trevor in the paint more than this year's group combined.

And as the article clearly implies, I guess we need to get EE back in the lineup in place of either Rodney or JC.

JC to the bench and would be a decent 6th man. Rodney plays much better defense and had done a great job of helping to break the press this year. ALso has been able to knock down more shots.

If they can ever figure out the post feed, or any other ways to get Mbakwe the ball in the post, this team may still have a chance. Not sure I have a ton of confidence they will, but the Illinois game was encouraging. Seeing how Mbakwe rebounds after seeing legit doubles like that will be interesting to watch, cause I think our offense could really take a notch up if he's able to figure that out.

Feed the Man!!!

Really good article! I wish I had time to do this sort of analysis.

I totally agree with the findings. Trevor needs to get the ball down low way more than he does. (They miss him constantly on the pick and roll as well.)

As was pointed out it apears Tubby was emphisisng that very thing judging by Eliason's play. Maybe The Hollins lads and Coleman will get the message and join in.

Trevor opens everything up!!!!

Feed the Man!!!

I love Trevor, but he needs to do a better job of using his quickness to beat his man to a spot on the floor deep in the paint and then quickly do something with it when he catches it. He will at least draw a lot of fouls that way. As an undersized center, he needs to use his quickness to make up for his lack of size. Likewise, his teammates will need to hit him with quick passes when he's open. The most successful utilization of him is not going to be of the garden variety posting up, per se.

I love Trevor, but he needs to do a better job of using his quickness to beat his man to a spot on the floor deep in the paint and then quickly do something with it when he catches it. He will at least draw a lot of fouls that way. As an undersized center, he needs to use his quickness to make up for his lack of size. Likewise, his teammates will need to hit him with quick passes when he's open. The most successful utilization of him is not going to be of the garden variety posting up, per se.

As we saw last game too, also needs to work on passing out of double teams.

As we saw last game too, also needs to work on passing out of double teams.

...but quickly and decisively - like a sixth year senior should know to do and be able to do.

...but quickly and decisively ...

none of our Gophers do anything quickly and decisively in our half court offense.

Everyone seems to hold the ball for 4 to 5 seconds before they pass it.

Trevor needs someone to pass to. If a guard doesn't rotate to create a passing lane, there isn't much Trevor can do, besides throwing the ball across the court and 10 feet out of bounds of course.

Too bad she didn't do Tubby's homework about a month ago. This is exactly what Tubby's assistants should be doing instead of getting DUI's.

Too bad she didn't do Tubby's homework about a month ago. This is exactly what Tubby's assistants should be doing instead of getting DUI's.

Or maybe Trevor should be working on skills instead of getting one.

Good article. None of the other writers would put in the time to do something like this. It's ridiculous that we don't get Trevor the ball more inside.

Top Bottom