Monson vs. Tubby (record comparison)

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
Certain things are assumed as true on the Gopherhole.

One of these "truths" is that the Monson program was a disaster. Yet if you compare them six years in, Tubby hasn't really seperated himself from Monson- and Monson had the sanctions to deal with and started with two dismal seasons.

In his first six years, Monson was over 500 in conference play twice (10-6 in 2004-05 and 9-7 in 2001-02) and 500 once (8-8 in 2002-03). In Tubby's first six years (unless things change this year and hopefully they will), his best is 500 twice (9-9 in 2008-08 and 2009-10). Even if gets to 10-8 this year his best three years will be worse than Monson's best three.

Monson went to the NCAA once and lost. Tubby has been twice and lost.

It is an interesting comparison as I remember Monson being much less successful, likely due to the dumpster dive seasons of 2003-2004 and 2005-06 (and the awful start to 2006-07).

The big 10 is also a lot stronger now and Tubby has beat many more quality opponents in OOC.

Monson wasn't awful, but I do think Tubby has been better.

The big 10 is also a lot stronger now and Tubby has beat many more quality opponents in OOC.

Not better when you consider John Wooden's definition of success. Tubby has been a bigger failure when it comes to meeting his capabilities.

Certain things are assumed as true on the Gopherhole.

One of these "truths" is that the Monson program was a disaster. Yet if you compare them six years in, Tubby hasn't really seperated himself from Monson- and Monson had the sanctions to deal with and started with two dismal seasons.

In his first six years, Monson was over 500 in conference play twice (10-6 in 2004-05 and 9-7 in 2001-02) and 500 once (8-8 in 2002-03). In Tubby's first six years (unless things change this year and hopefully they will), his best is 500 twice (9-9 in 2008-08 and 2009-10). Even if gets to 10-8 this year his best three years will be worse than Monson's best three.

Monson went to the NCAA once and lost. Tubby has been twice and lost.

It is an interesting comparison as I remember Monson being much less successful, likely due to the dumpster dive seasons of 2003-2004 and 2005-06 (and the awful start to 2006-07).

The B1G has improved so much that it's hard to compare records. Tubby has had 36 top 25 matchups (last five years) in conference play versus Monson's 20 (first five years). That's almost double the amount of top 25 matchups. Comparing Tubby's record to Monson's record is Apples to Oranges. Furthermore, these #'s do not count non-conference games. Throw that in there and it's a complete landslide; Monson faced ONE top 25 team in non-conference play (Georgia) versus Tubby's 5 (Louisville, Butler, UNC, Duke, Memphis).

He has been MARGINALLY better. Tubby is paid a lot more, brought in the big name, had no sanctions to work against and naturally faces higher expectations for the aforementioned reasons. Has the high ranking of the conference made things tougher? Sure, but it also made it easier for two 9-9 teams to make the NCAAs. Tubby has had a slightly better performance but the fact is that in year six the two are quite comparable and that is something that almost no one thought would happen.

The Tubby era is a big disappointment...thus far.

He has been MARGINALLY better. Tubby is paid a lot more, brought in the big name, had no sanctions to work against and naturally faces higher expectations for the aforementioned reasons. Has the high ranking of the conference made things tougher? Sure, but it also made it easier for two 9-9 teams to make the NCAAs. Tubby has had a slightly better performance but the fact is that in year six the two are quite comparable and that is something that almost no one thought would happen.

It also has made it harder to go 9-9 in conference play.

I thought RPI would be an interesting measure, and I think someone has actually done this before, but I don't remember the results, so what I did was just look up Minnesota's final RPI each season back to '00-'01 and this is what I found:

00-01: 74
01-02: 68
02-03: 70
03-04: 168
04-05: 46
05-06: 91
06-07: 194

07-08: 108
08-09: 42
09-10: 63
10-11: 81
11-12: 62
12-13 so far: 13

Tubby's highest RPI finish is higher than any of Monson's, but only by 4 (that could change this year). He's also never seen the depths that Monson had, really nothing close to it. Monson had three years at 90+ in his last four seasons. Tubby's only gone 90+ once, in his first year here. Essentially, Monson started off well enough, but outside of the blip NCAA tourney season, he was clearly fading later in his run here. Tubby has clearly been better overall, not having the depths that Monson had, but considering expectations, only having an RPI high finish of 42 is not acceptable.

None of this means anything until the gophers win a SINGLE tournament game.

I'm still not really sure why Monson's poor performances are excused because of sanctions, but injuries/transfers/suspensions don't count for Tubby. They both equal personnel losses don't they? Not to mention that in one of Tubby's best seasons here, 2009-10, in which we finished 12-10 in conference counting BTT games, Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe, maybe our two best players, were sidelined for the entire season, and Al Nolen missed most of Big Ten play due to academic ineligibility.

None of this means anything until the gophers win a SINGLE tournament game.

Had we won a tournament game in the past, I think the only difference would be complaints of "Six years with only one tourney win is not acceptable," vs. "Six years and no tourney wins is not acceptable." I really don't think it would make people significantly happier.

Monson was a relatively young coach trying to move up from a mid-major to a major school.

Tubby was coming off a run at KY that included a national championship. Which coach should have higher expectations?

Bottom line - "Tubby Smith" is a big-name, big salary coach, which guarantees big expectations. There was an implicit guarantee that hiring Tubby would lead to more wins, and especially more NCAA tournament wins.

IMHO, Tubby has been a major disappointment. Add his refusal to accept responsibility, and his willingness to throw players under the bus, and you have an unacceptable situation.

I don't know if firing Tubby will turn the program around - but keeping Tubby may be even more risky - if it results in the "big 3" recruits saying "No" to the U.

If you want NIT success then Tubby is your man. Dude can get a team up for those big games.

What? I said that Tubby hasn't proven anything until the gophers win a single tournament game under him. Which will not happen. Shaka Smart better be the man by July this year...

Had we won a tournament game in the past, I think the only difference would be complaints of "Six years with only one tourney win is not acceptable," vs. "Six years and no tourney wins is not acceptable." I really don't think it would make people significantly happier.

I agree with one win. If he had 2-3 wins I think the leash from fans would be a lot longer.

What? I said that Tubby hasn't proven anything until the gophers win a single tournament game under him. Which will not happen. Shaka Smart better be the man by July this year...

I wasn't making fun of you. It was a crack at Tubby. I need to work on my sarcasm.

Tubby has a name and reputation that gets him in the door recruiting where Monson didn't have a chance. Tubby's recruiting results have been better than Monson's, it's the wins in tight games that is the problem. They have always been close under Tubby, but after six years being close just doesn't cut it, there just isn't any evidence that anything is ever going to change.

I agree to a point, however, it's been 16 years since the program has had a NCAA win; 23 years since the program has won a NCAA game legitimately. An NCAA win would break an ugly streak of NCAA futility. It would at least be the first step to recovery.

Looking at those RPI #s a little closer, what do they say?

What I see is that Tubby's COMBINED RPI rankings for his last 5 years is 261. Monson's combined RPI rankings for just his final 2 seasons is 283.

Looking at the BEST 5 years for each coach, Tubby's combined RPI ranking of 261 compared to Monson's 426 shows a HUGE difference.

426 > 261.

And something to note about that comparison, is it excludes Tubby's first year, which is often acceptable to give a coach a pass on their first season, since they are having to basically coach the proceeding coaches recruits.

But that comparison excludes Monson's LAST TWO YEARS!!!!!!

Basically Monson GOT WORSE.

Tubby's 6th year is HIS BEST.

Comparing Tubby's 6 years head to head with Monson's BEST 6 years shows this

#13 vs #46
#42 vs #68
#62 vs #70
#63 vs #74
#81 vs #91
#108 vs #168

So Tubby's best season IS better than Monson's best season was
Tubby's 2nd best season was better than Monson's 2nd best season, all the way down the line to their 6th best season. And not included is Monson's 7th best season, or his worst, #194. So, does anyone think that if Tubby remains, that next year's RPI will be worse than #194?

And yet another way to look at their numbers.

Monson's first 3 yrs = 212
Tubby's first 3 years = 213

Monson had the scandal aftermath to deal with, so that comparison is interesting, but Monson got the benefit of several Minnesota natives transferring back to Minnesota, and honestly, the team that Monson inherited from Clem was not too bad of a team. Not too deep, but still pretty good. The team that Tubby inherited from Monson was HORRIBLE. So Tubby's worst RPI season, his first, being included skews that comparison.

But now, the REAL interesting part of this comparison is now to look at the next 3 seasons.

Monson's seasons 4-6 = #305 (his last 3 would be #331)
Tubby's seasons 4-6 = #156

305 > 156

So Tubby's seasons 4-6, the points of their career where they've had time to establish themselves. All of the players are their recruits, the coach has had plenty of time to establish his system. And the results are clear.

Now, lets look at Monson vs Monson, his first 3 years vs his next 3 or last 3 and then Tubby's first 3 vs his next/last three.

Monson's first 3 = 212 vs 305/331 - his next/last 3 years

Tubby's first 3 = 213 vs 156 - his next/last 3 years

Monson's teams got worse.

Tubby's teams got BETTER.

But during the middle of his VERY BEST YEAR YET, fans are demanding that he be fired??

Now I'm not trying to say that Tubby's an incredible coach. I'm not trying to say that we couldn't get a better coach.

I'm trying to point out the character of Tubby haters. They hate him, and so are willing to manipulate facts and basically say anything to skew the facts to TRY to make Tubby look worse than he is. Some are even willing to flat out lie. Justifying in their minds their actions feeling that the ends will justify the means?!

What motivates me to defend Tubby as much as I do?? It's NOT because I love Tubby.

It's because I HATE the tactics of the Tubby Haters who feel that the ends justify the means.

This doesn't mean that I hate all Tubby Haters, or that I don't appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. In fact, I appreciate reading the criticisms of Tubby's recruiting and coaching. I am NOT one who wants only to read positive rah-rah-rah. I don't like the EXTREME negativity and all the EXAGGERATED comments posted after losses. I feel that the TRUTH, the simple truth, without the exaggerations, would have more influence.

When I'm reading toned down constructive criticism, I actually ENJOY reading it, and I open my mind to what I'm reading.

When I'm reading UBER NEGATIVE exaggerated comments, I get pissed off, and I feel compelled to defend whoever is being attacked, whether they deserve to be defended or not.

I have to laugh, the first analogy that came to my mind, and take into account that I'm watching a tv program with a lot of violence, but the analogy that came to my mind is that if I witnessed a big tough bouncer push a skinny little kid to the ground, I'd be pissed at the bouncer, but then if I then found out that someone was falsely accusing the bouncer of then kicking him and beating him senseless when I knew that wasn't true, my anger would be refocused on the false accuser.

So Tubby deserves criticism, but when people lie or exaggerate or manipulate facts to try to skew people's perceptions, it just pisses ME off and my attention is redirected away from the person truly deserving of criticism and is directed towards those who are exaggerating or manipulating the facts.

I will admit that the Tubby defenders, myself included, often do the same thing, manipulate facts and ignore certain negatives and only highlight the positives, but honestly, I see it as far less of a crime to manipulate facts in an effort to DEFEND someone's name, reputation, honor, that it is to manipulate facts in an effort to DEFAME someone's name, reputation, honor. And far more often than not, those who are defending Tubby, are doing so ONLY in response to the Tubby Haters drawing first blood.

Was Rambo in the movie First Blood a good guy?! No, he blew up a town. lol But if you watch the movie, you can't help cheering for him because he started out a good guy and didn't start going psycho on everyone until after they continued to persecute him, over and over and over again. They wouldn't stop, so finally Rambo fought back. His defense of his actions? They drew first blood.

So what I'm saying is, TUBBY HATERS, if you want to get everyone else on board, TONE DOWN your criticisms. Seriously. Stop exaggerating. Stop manipulating the facts.

Actually, try something creative, turn on your brains, start out by first praising Tubby for something good, and then toss in a criticism. And guess what, Tubby defenders will be open to discussing the negative if they think you are willing to admit to the positives.

Looking at those RPI #s a little closer, what do they say?

What I see is that Tubby's COMBINED RPI rankings for his last 5 years is 261. Monson's combined RPI rankings for just his final 2 seasons is 283.

Looking at the BEST 5 years for each coach, Tubby's combined RPI ranking of 261 compared to Monson's 426 shows a HUGE difference.

426 > 261.

And something to note about that comparison, is it excludes Tubby's first year, which is often acceptable to give a coach a pass on their first season, since they are having to basically coach the proceeding coaches recruits.

But that comparison excludes Monson's LAST TWO YEARS!!!!!!

Basically Monson GOT WORSE.

Tubby's 6th year is HIS BEST.

Comparing Tubby's 6 years head to head with Monson's BEST 6 years shows this

#13 vs #46
#42 vs #68
#62 vs #70
#63 vs #74
#81 vs #91
#108 vs #168

So Tubby's best season IS better than Monson's best season was
Tubby's 2nd best season was better than Monson's 2nd best season, all the way down the line to their 6th best season. And not included is Monson's 7th best season, or his worst, #194. So, does anyone think that if Tubby remains, that next year's RPI will be worse than #194?

And yet another way to look at their numbers.

Monson's first 3 yrs = 212
Tubby's first 3 years = 213

Monson had the scandal aftermath to deal with, so that comparison is interesting, but Monson got the benefit of several Minnesota natives transferring back to Minnesota, and honestly, the team that Monson inherited from Clem was not too bad of a team. Not too deep, but still pretty good. The team that Tubby inherited from Monson was HORRIBLE. So Tubby's worst RPI season, his first, being included skews that comparison.

But now, the REAL interesting part of this comparison is now to look at the next 3 seasons.

Monson's seasons 4-6 = #305 (his last 3 would be #331)
Tubby's seasons 4-6 = #156

305 > 156

So Tubby's seasons 4-6, the points of their career where they've had time to establish themselves. All of the players are their recruits, the coach has had plenty of time to establish his system. And the results are clear.

Now, lets look at Monson vs Monson, his first 3 years vs his next 3 or last 3 and then Tubby's first 3 vs his next/last three.

Monson's first 3 = 212 vs 305/331 - his next/last 3 years

Tubby's first 3 = 213 vs 156 - his next/last 3 years

Monson's teams got worse.

Tubby's teams got BETTER.

But during the middle of his VERY BEST YEAR YET, fans are demanding that he be fired??

Now I'm not trying to say that Tubby's an incredible coach. I'm not trying to say that we couldn't get a better coach.

I'm trying to point out the character of Tubby haters. They hate him, and so are willing to manipulate facts and basically say anything to skew the facts to TRY to make Tubby look worse than he is. Some are even willing to flat out lie. Justifying in their minds their actions feeling that the ends will justify the means?!

What motivates me to defend Tubby as much as I do?? It's NOT because I love Tubby.

It's because I HATE the tactics of the Tubby Haters who feel that the ends justify the means.

This doesn't mean that I hate all Tubby Haters, or that I don't appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. In fact, I appreciate reading the criticisms of Tubby's recruiting and coaching. I am NOT one who wants only to read positive rah-rah-rah. I don't like the EXTREME negativity and all the EXAGGERATED comments posted after losses. I feel that the TRUTH, the simple truth, without the exaggerations, would have more influence.

When I'm reading toned down constructive criticism, I actually ENJOY reading it, and I open my mind to what I'm reading.

When I'm reading UBER NEGATIVE exaggerated comments, I get pissed off, and I feel compelled to defend whoever is being attacked, whether they deserve to be defended or not.

I have to laugh, the first analogy that came to my mind, and take into account that I'm watching a tv program with a lot of violence, but the analogy that came to my mind is that if I witnessed a big tough bouncer push a skinny little kid to the ground, I'd be pissed at the bouncer, but then if I then found out that someone was falsely accusing the bouncer of then kicking him and beating him senseless when I knew that wasn't true, my anger would be refocused on the false accuser.

So Tubby deserves criticism, but when people lie or exaggerate or manipulate facts to try to skew people's perceptions, it just pisses ME off and my attention is redirected away from the person truly deserving of criticism and is directed towards those who are exaggerating or manipulating the facts.

I will admit that the Tubby defenders, myself included, often do the same thing, manipulate facts and ignore certain negatives and only highlight the positives, but honestly, I see it as far less of a crime to manipulate facts in an effort to DEFEND someone's name, reputation, honor, that it is to manipulate facts in an effort to DEFAME someone's name, reputation, honor. And far more often than not, those who are defending Tubby, are doing so ONLY in response to the Tubby Haters drawing first blood.

Was Rambo in the movie First Blood a good guy?! No, he blew up a town. lol But if you watch the movie, you can't help cheering for him because he started out a good guy and didn't start going psycho on everyone until after they continued to persecute him, over and over and over again. They wouldn't stop, so finally Rambo fought back. His defense of his actions? They drew first blood.

So what I'm saying is, TUBBY HATERS, if you want to get everyone else on board, TONE DOWN your criticisms. Seriously. Stop exaggerating. Stop manipulating the facts.

Actually, try something creative, turn on your brains, start out by first praising Tubby for something good, and then toss in a criticism. And guess what, Tubby defenders will be open to discussing the negative if they think you are willing to admit to the positives.

if you want to get everyone else on board, TONE DOWN your criticisms.

If you want everyone else to read your manifestos, cut them down to 19 million words.

Any other condescending rules you would like to impose?

Once again, #Alphabet's post was too long for my short wave cranium to absorb, so I am just going to read replies to his lengthy post and go from there.

I'm still not really sure why Monson's poor performances are excused because of sanctions, but injuries/transfers/suspensions don't count for Tubby. They both equal personnel losses don't they? Not to mention that in one of Tubby's best seasons here, 2009-10, in which we finished 12-10 in conference counting BTT games, Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe, maybe our two best players, were sidelined for the entire season, and Al Nolen missed most of Big Ten play due to academic ineligibility.
Tubby has had no sanctions. Monson was not responsible for sanctions . Who is for all of Tubby's transfers? His great personality. Tubby has been a huge disappointment. No excuses.

Once again, #Alphabet's post was too long for my short wave cranium to absorb, so I am just going to read replies to his lengthy post and go from there.

Haha, now THAT was a novel written by #1HkyBbFbVbWrSolarDebate or whatever the name is. He/she should publish his/her own gopher newspaper using that newspaper template they have on Microsoft word!

Tubby has had no sanctions. Monson was not responsible for sanctions . Who is for all of Tubby's transfers? His great personality. Tubby has been a huge disappointment. No excuses.

You're excusing poor performances from Monson because of sanctions, which is totally reasonable, but then you say no excuses, which seems contradictory. Even if every single transfer was because the players simply can't stand Tubby, which I have a hard time believing, that still doesn't account for losing Mo Walker for more than a season and a half, Mbakwe for a little more than that, and Al Nolen for the second half of two separate seasons, not to mention some of the less severe injuries like Dre's ankle last season, Rodney's shoulder which kept him from playing against Illinois last week, Wally's hand earlier this season, and losing Ralph and Oto in the post-season last year.

The end result is the same: each coach had fewer players available than they would have liked, and were put at a disadvantage that was not their fault. I don't really have anything against Monson, but some act like he was handicapped by the sanctions, which he was, but then think that Tubby losing his best players to injuries should have no negative effect on the teams he puts on the floor.

You're excusing poor performances from Monson because of sanctions, which is totally reasonable, but then you say no excuses, which seems contradictory. Even if every single transfer was because the players simply can't stand Tubby, which I have a hard time believing, that still doesn't account for losing Mo Walker for more than a season and a half, Mbakwe for a little more than that, and Al Nolen for the second half of two separate seasons, not to mention some of the less severe injuries like Dre's ankle last season, Rodney's shoulder which kept him from playing against Illinois last week, Wally's hand earlier this season, and losing Ralph and Oto in the post-season last year.

The end result is the same: each coach had fewer players available than they would have liked, and were put at a disadvantage that was not their fault. I don't really have anything against Monson, but some act like he was handicapped by the sanctions, which he was, but then think that Tubby losing his best players to injuries should have no negative effect on the teams he puts on the floor.

Wow. Not only missed the target, missed the backstop completely.

Comparing injuries under Tubby to Monsons sanctions is absolutely ridiculous. When Monson took over, the shame of the scandal cast dark shadows over the program for years to come. Recruiting restrictions and scholarships were only part of the story.

Injuries under Tubby have caused problems, players run off or defecting have been very disconcerting and troubling to say the least, and the team when healthy has underachieved. Can barely think of more than a handful of big wins or upsets, maybe Louisville down in PHX or Westbrook beating the Badgers in Madison?

Hate to admit it after this long but Tubby has largely failed big by most measures.

Comparing injuries under Tubby to Monsons sanctions is absolutely ridiculous. When Monson took over, the shame of the scandal cast dark shadows over the program for years to come. Recruiting restrictions and scholarships were only part of the story.

Injuries under Tubby have caused problems, players run off or defecting have been very disconcerting and troubling to say the least, and the team when healthy has underachieved. Can barely think of more than a handful of big wins or upsets, maybe Louisville down in PHX or Westbrook beating the Badgers in Madison?

Hate to admit it after this long but Tubby has largely failed big by most measures.

The team has only had three healthy seasons with Tubby. The first one Tubby got a 7 win team up to 20 wins. The year after that we made the tournament. I would not call either of those seasons disappointing or underachieving. This one could be if things don't get turned around soon.

Big wins:

2007-08
Indiana (Hoff's game-winner)

2008-09
Louisville
@Wisconsin
Wisconsin

2009-10
Butler
Ohio State
@Illinois (not sure if this one was a big deal, but it was on the road against a team that I think we've typically had trouble against)
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Purdue

2010-11
North Carolina
West Virginia
Purdue

2011-12
@Indiana (Indiana's only home loss last year, beat #1 Kentucky and #2 Ohio State there)

Looking back, the 2009-10 team could have probably challenged for or won the Big Ten title if everyone would have been healthy and eligible, it would have been better than this year's team.

No big wins? Have you not watched Gopher basketball the last 4 years? Big wins isn't the problem the Big Ten season is the problem.

I don't think Monson did a good job here, so I am not defending him, but there is a big difference. Injuries are the kind of adversity that happen regularly in sports, sanctions are one team being told that they will be playing under a different set of rules than the teams they are playing against.

You know I feel like some of Monson's beat teams were during the sanction years, his best team was 05 the first year we were free, but after that, the team took a nose dive, at least in 01, 02 and 03 they were competitive. 04 and 06 guys like Boone and Hargrow were such a waste of talent

Injuries and transfers are issues all programs deal with. Some people here think it is only a problem the poor Gophers face. Some deal with it very well; we haven't. We use it as a crutch for our "Hall of Fame" coach.

Get real.

Comparing what Monson had to deal with to Tubby is absurd.

And finally, for those who think we can't possibly land a decent coach, our resident history expert here Dpo would even have to agree that is false. When we faced awful sanctions, we landed the hot up and comer coming off an Elite 8 appearance. Then we got Tubby frickin' Smith to leave Kentucky.

Who knows who we'd get? But don't tell me it's impossible to get someone good.

Top Bottom