Gophers starting group is efficient, but used together for less than half the game

Interesting article. The one group -10 in only a couple of minutes...

"Smith made his first switch just under five minutes into the game, bringing in Oto Osenieks and Andre Ingram to replace Joe Coleman and Trevor Mbakwe. At that time, the starting group had put the Gophers ahead 8-0.

“We felt like they needed a breather that time and you could tell by the way they were running – not getting up and down the court, the way they were breathing,” Smith said"

"Smith made his first switch just under five minutes into the game, bringing in Oto Osenieks and Andre Ingram to replace Joe Coleman and Trevor Mbakwe. At that time, the starting group had put the Gophers ahead 8-0.

“We felt like they needed a breather that time and you could tell by the way they were running – not getting up and down the court, the way they were breathing,” Smith said"

Tubby might need the breather........

“No one is really that much better,” false

And as station19 pointed out... wow. I think our starters were okay after 5 minutes of play. No other coach would've taken out the starters that quickly when they were playing so well.

Nice work by Amelia. I like Tubby. He's a good man. But four words come immediately to mind, especially as it pertains to sub patterns,

"Stubborn as a mule."

Tubby's not changing. Even as the Gophers struggle simply trying to assure a spot in the tourney, I've accepted that at least once or twice a game we're going to have 4 or 5 subs on the floor at the same time. Never understand it, never will, but it's the way Tubby does things.

Beat Wisconsin.

Nice work by Amelia. I like Tubby. He's a good man. But four words come immediately to mind, especially as it pertains to sub patterns,

"Stubborn as a mule."

Tubby's not changing. Even as the Gophers struggle simply trying to assure a spot in the tourney, I've accepted that at least once or twice a game we're going to have 4 or 5 subs on the floor at the same time. Never understand it, never will, but it's the way Tubby does things.

Beat Wisconsin.

I agree with your entire post. Tubby's not changing so Tubby will continue to fail.

Sad.

Do most teams play their starters together for more minutes?

best from the comments section

7:37 pm

5 minutes in and players are tired? Then do a better job conditioning your players! Nolan Richardson must be available to help with conditioning. Tubby has a new version of Nolan's 40 minutes of hell, but his is directed at the poor fans who watch this baloney sausage. Awful half court basketball

"Mo Walker is coming around"

Coming around what?

I laughed when I red that. Out side of the one aggressive play, Mo looked lost. Not using his body to block out for easy rebounds, missing easy bunnies and getting up and down the court slow (to be expected).

It would be very interesting to analyze other B1G teams and compare. A friend and I were arguing the other day about this. When you look at actual minutes played...
MBakwe 31
Elliot 28
Austin 34
Joe 27
Andre 36

Not awful, ESP considering their (arguably) less effective players (granted EE played great) playing least mins. I think the problem is the combinations used.

I would love to see a staring five of Trevor (30-34 mins), EE (30 mins), Rodney (30 mins), Austin (35 mins) and Andre (35 mins). Guards need to play big minutes! If they are really struggling bring Welch/Mav off bench to spell in short spurts unless one of the two catches fire. Ingram can be first big off the bench and Walker can play few minutes if he gets his act together.

Top Bottom