It appears UVA has officially moved on

My curiosity got the better of me and I headed over to thesabre.com. . .speculation has Rick Barnes, Travis Ford, John Beilein, or Trent Johnson becoming the next coach. I can't help but thinking the Cavalier fanbase are going to be mighty disappointed, because logically I can't see any of these guys leaving their current jobs for the VA job, it just doesn't seem like a plum job to me, even with their gleaming new arena.

Adam Godshaw's radio show sounds like a high school production, but he does have some sort of source inside the AD's office, so it appears you are correct.

The rumor I'm hearing is Lorenzo Romar. In any case NOT Tubby as we've been trying to tell them all along.

The rumor I'm hearing is Lorenzo Romar.

That would be shocker. I don't see Romar leaving his alma mater Washington and the west coast. He seems pretty well connected there, just won a Pac Ten title, and has a really nice recruiting class coming into Seattle for next year, including the No. 2 point guard in the country (No. 13 player overall nationally).

Speculation

Offer to Bob Knight, who dances with them and refuses, sending them back to the drawing board.

Waters from Cleveland State capitalizing on his success this year and getting back to the big time after struggling at Rutgers.

Maybe they are desparate enough to dig up Jim Harrick, who has won everywhere he has been, and only cheated at two or three of those places. The show cause clause must have expired by now.

It sounds like the UVA fans are delusional. While all the speculation about Tubby's status grew tiresome, at least we are not, as a fanbase, naive enough to think Minnesota is one of the top five jobs in the country. It's clear that UVA thinks their job is.

Find yourselves a solid mid major coach who can recruit, and they will be just fine.

Offer to Bob Knight, who dances with them and refuses, sending them back to the drawing board.

Waters from Cleveland State capitalizing on his success this year and getting back to the big time after struggling at Rutgers.

Maybe they are desparate enough to dig up Jim Harrick, who has won everywhere he has been, and only cheated at two or three of those places. The show cause clause must have expired by now.

It sounds like the UVA fans are delusional. While all the speculation about Tubby's status grew tiresome, at least we are not, as a fanbase, naive enough to think Minnesota is one of the top five jobs in the country. It's clear that UVA thinks their job is.

Find yourselves a solid mid major coach who can recruit, and they will be just fine.

Not Top 5 perhaps but CLEARLY Top 25 and headed higher. The Gophers' program is better than some think.

Not Top 5 perhaps but CLEARLY Top 25 and headed higher. The Gophers' program is better than some think.

Amen. I agree. But I seem to recall getting ripped for even suggesting it was the 4th or 5th best job in the Big 10.

Absolutely top 25

And it will get better with consistent winning, new facilities, and ever expanding talent pool in the area. And who can beat a fan base that largely stayed loyal over a horrific period of basketball at the turn of the millenium? It's a great job.

I don't think they were delusional about themselves so much as they looked down on the Minnesota job as some sort of second rate crap job and surely they were a huge upgrade by comparison. They were convinced they could get Tubby, yet would someone would mention John Boehline, who is in almost the exact same situation (2nd year in Big 10, last job was in the south, former coach in VA at Richmond) they would say 'oh no way he leaves Michigan for UVA.' Well, Minnesota is a better job then Michigan, hands down IMO. Yet they somehow perceive Michigan as an equal job to UVA and Minnesota far beneath. Maybe this perception will start to change in other parts of the country now.

about gary waters...living in horizon territory and 50 minutes from cleveland, everything ive heard he is content with being at this level again, one of those been there done that things with the big time. cleveland state actualy pays him very very well for a mid major coach, and i believe he is nearing 60 years of age, a guy if i was them to look into if you want to go the mid major rout is brad brownell, this guy will be a big time coach soon i would imagine.

I know he is very young, basically walked into a great sitution, hasn't won huge yet, but is going to be a BCS coach so why not look at Brad Stevens at Butler. Some one is going to scoop him up sooner or later. Might as well be sooner.

Also look at Mark Few from Gonzaga going to Arizona. I don't think he would go to UVA, Bama, or Georgia but if Few was going to make a move to a BCS conference that would the program to grab right know. It's not everyday a "blue blood" type program head coaching job falls into your lap.

Also depending on who all leaves OSU don't be shocked if you see Matta go to. Personally I think Turner is good as gone, Mullens might go and would be drafted highly based solely on potenial. Also Buford might leave but that would a really bad idea for him. I think if 1 of those 3 are gone Matta stays, if 2 of 3 are gone I'll give it 50-50, if all 3 go Matta is gone also. So there is another potenial high level gig opening up.

I don't see Few going anywhere. Gonzaga is one of the top 10 or so jobs in America. Everything I read says he loves it there, and they love him. Personally, I think it would be a massive mistake for Few to consider leaving a place where he is established, loved, and where 20 win seasons and top 25 recruiting classes are frequent.

His article is 4 years too late. In 2005, he'd be Spot On.

In 2009, he's just a Jack Off.

That may be. This is the 4th article in a row he's written about Tubby being the guy, so the C'villians are convinced he wouldn't stake his reputation unless he was sure. But all he's written is reams about why Tubby is perfect for UVA. Nothing about why UVA is perfect for Tubby. This is the part they can't get through thier heads. Yes he's perfect for them. But he already has a job here that is better.

Perfect !

That may be. This is the 4th article in a row he's written about Tubby being the guy, so the C'villians are convinced he wouldn't stake his reputation unless he was sure. But all he's written is reams about why Tubby is perfect for UVA. Nothing about why UVA is perfect for Tubby. This is the part they can't get through thier heads. Yes he's perfect for them. But he already has a job here that is better.

Tubby is perfect for almost every D1 school. That is why his name pops up every time.

VA and Alabama, etc, seem delusional in their searchs. But I cant blame them for trying.

Adam Gottschalk has made so many predictions as to whom the new UVA coach will be he'll be able to say he "CALL IT" no matter who it is, even if it's Bobby Knight.

Adam Gottschalk has made so many predictions as to whom the new UVA coach will be he'll be able to say he "CALL IT" no matter who it is, even if it's Bobby Knight.

Plus, the guy doesn't know what day it is...literally!!!!:D He said he's missed a couple of meetings as a result. That's pretty much all I need to know about this guy's credibility.....:rolleyes:

Granted, Godshalk is not a great source. Jerry Ratcliff is on the radio here saying he'd 'put his money' on Tubby. I don't know whether there's anything to this or Ratcliff is just wishful thinking. He's been harping Tubby the whole time, he may figure it's best just to go down with the ship.

UVA is using the same firm MN used when when Tubby was hired. Judging by the lack of leaks then, I doubt any real info is getting out of UVA in this process. So I take Tubby's comments here as enough evidence that he's not going.

Supposedly Rick Barnes was the great mystery candidate and was here last night getting a tour and has an offer in hand. I would be surprised if he actually takes the offer, but who knows. And then does this whole process start again with Texas? Oy. Have we had a season in recent memory where 3 jobs as high profile as UK, Arizona and Texas have all been open at the same time?

Top Bottom