Who else? other than Flip or Smart who else could be our next BB Coach?

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
It seems the buzz now is that Tubby needs to be removed as coach,,,

Other than the names Shaka Smart or Flip Saunders, who should be on out list of next coaches? Who would actually consider the job?

I am thinking Flip is the most logicial choice. However, I am not certain Minnesota will be able to attract any big name or young "upandcomer" coaches.....

Other than the names Shaka Smart or Flip Saunders, who should be on out list of next coaches? Who would actually consider the job?

I am thinking Flip is the most logicial choice. However, I am not certain Minnesota will be able to attract any big name or young "upandcomer" coaches.....

I think Dr. Don would be a great fit, after all he is comfortable letting people know they have their heads up their arses!!!!

AND this team needs to pull their heads out of their arses!!!!

"Who would actually consider they job?"

Ben Jacobsen
Tad Boyle
Kermit Davis

These 3 guys come to mind.

Dane Fife

Lionel Hollins (dreaming)

Gregg Marshall is another name I've seen floated on twitter

If you want someone that actually played for the Gophers, we should go after Tony Dungy.

Eric Mussleman. The kids would crawl through 20 miles of barbed wire fence for him. He can recruit and he would bring back the famous pre-game warmup. Williams Arena would be alive again. Right now the Barn is a mortuary and Tubby is the mortician. Noise n the Barn during Clem's years? Great! Noise in the Barn during Musselman's years. When you walked out at the end of the game it took 5 minutes for your hearing to come back!!!!!!

Our last two coaches were big name or young "upandcomer" coached.

Up and comer: Monson after he put Gonzaga on the map
Big name: Tubby Smith

Why do you think that trend would be reversed?

Anyone but Flip.

I like the guy, but he has not been part of a college basketball program since he was an assistant in the late 80's.

I really see no logical reason why people think he could just walk in and elevate the team.

Anyone but Flip.

I like the guy, but he has not been part of a college basketball program since he was an assistant in the late 80's.

I really see no logical reason why people think he could just walk in and elevate the team.

Because he is a recognizable name to recruits and can coach offense!!! Not only that he played for the U. His personality as a players coach hits home for a lot of kids and personally I think he would be the perfect fit apart from Smart. The guy is very likable and whether any of you believe me or not go look at his ten year in the NBA, most notably his record with the Wolves and Pistons as proof that he can win.

Mick Cronin. Right know a stretch a guy coaching his hometown team in one of the best conferences would leave. The next few years thought things are going to change. The strength of the Big East will decrease dramatically and Cincinnati is currently hasn't been invited to the ACC or Big XII.

Steve Alford? He struggled at Iowa, but he's had a pretty good run at New Mexico since.

Off the top of my head:

Dane Fife
Chris Mooney
Chris Mack
Gregg Marshall

Off the top of my head:

Dane Fife
Chris Mooney
Chris Mack
Gregg Marshall

Do you think Mooney, Mack or Marshall would come here? (I picked you because you have a higher number of people I'd say fall into the same boat.). I think Flip is much more likely and I'd like to see it (if we feel compelled to make a change and can't get someone like Smart, etc)

I'm just not sure that I can picture any of those guys jumping at the opportunity to come here unless we are offering a huge amount of money. I suppose you could argue that there's more room for error here in making the tourney, but... I love the U, but I am just not sure we can get someone of that ilk. I think it's likely we'd be looking lower (unless Teague and his connections can make a coup or someone like the guys above has some hidden beef with their current job). But maybe I'm missing something?

Tim Miles? I know its taboo to hire within conference and our facilities and athletic budget can't compare to Nebraska, but him and being from Minnesota and how hard it is to win at a football school, he's at least worth a phone call

Gregg Marshall ~ Wichita State
Tommy Amaker ~ Harvard
Greg McDermott ~ Creighton
Chris Mack ~ Xavier

All three have shown a track record of solid coaching, with perhaps the exception of Amaker since he was canned at UM. However, these four coaches could be considered for the MN job.

If we can't get Smart or Stevens I would want somebody young who played like Fife. Marshall has the best pedigree of those listed, but he's gonna be 50 this year and I wonder if he's already losing his appeal to the new generation.

Top Bottom