A Time Out?

Roland Brooks

Reaction score
Trevor is trapped on the baseline in front of the Gopher bench and no timeout is called??? I dont get that?? He had struggled a couple times earlier passing out of the double team. Trevor held the ball to long and basically trapped himself right in front of Tubby and nothing.

The coach cant see this? Kind of a big posession? A chance to take the lead. Call a timeout!

Tubby was a good coach. I have to give him props. 20 years ago he was that eras Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart for the things he did at Tulsa and Georgia. He won a National Championship at Kentucky. People say he had Pitino's players but he still won it all. No different than when John Gruden won at Tampa. Dungy didnt get it done and Gruden did.

I think the game has passed him a bit and the fire in the gut is not there. Time to move on. The program is spinning its wheels like me trying to get up my driveway.

Also it is sad when Eliason's jumper is better than Colemans. JC needs to work hard on his game.

Yeah, no one has brought that up. Why didn't we call a T? You are a great BB mind

We were screaming for Tubby to call a TO. It is mind boggling that he didn't. The ref was right by him. I wish a reporter would ask him about that situation.

Go Gophers!!

I was fine without a T. he wasn't trapped in the corner. It was right in front of me, it wasn't a hard double team, and isn't that exactly what you want? A good pass out of a double team should lead to a wide open jumper.

Illinois' plan was obviously to get the Gophs to pass it into Trevor and then trap him. We played right into it.

I was fine without a T. he wasn't trapped in the corner. It was right in front of me, it wasn't a hard double team, and isn't that exactly what you want? A good pass out of a double team should lead to a wide open jumper.

Every other team seems to have that ability but the Gophers. The double-team shouldn't work more than once or twice a game, at first when it may be a bit surprising. It's so easy to pass out of.

With Coleman and Eliason in there Illinois could double hard on Trevor and both Hollins. Having two non perimeter threats in there makes it hard to run a good post play or free a Hollins on a pick or pick and roll.

With Coleman and Eliason in there Illinois could double hard on Trevor and both Hollins. Having two non perimeter threats in there makes it hard to run a good post play or free a Hollins on a pick or pick and roll.

I agree, although EE has made his last 3 long shots. Don't get me started on Coleman, he KILLS the spacing on the floor as everybody knows he can't shoot.

Please keep EE in the starting line up, with Rodney at the 3.

Trevor is trapped on the baseline in front of the Gopher bench and no timeout is called??? I dont get that?? He had struggled a couple times earlier passing out of the double team. Trevor held the ball to long and basically trapped himself right in front of Tubby and nothing.

The coach cant see this? Kind of a big posession? A chance to take the lead. Call a timeout!

Tubby was a good coach. I have to give him props. 20 years ago he was that eras Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart for the things he did at Tulsa and Georgia. He won a National Championship at Kentucky. People say he had Pitino's players but he still won it all. No different than when John Gruden won at Tampa. Dungy didnt get it done and Gruden did.

I think the game has passed him a bit and the fire in the gut is not there. Time to move on. The program is spinning its wheels like me trying to get up my driveway.

Also it is sad when Eliason's jumper is better than Colemans. JC needs to work hard on his game.

Good post, you are dead on.

We were screaming for Tubby to call a TO. It is mind boggling that he didn't. The ref was right by him. I wish a reporter would ask him about that situation.

Go Gophers!!

If you, or anyone ever has good questions like this - tweet it to me and I'll try to get it asked!

Right on all counts. Coleman kills the offense due to his lack of shooting ability. His shots are like a turnover.

The other place where it was unbelievable that Tubby didn't call time out was when Illinois scored 8 straight in the second half to go up 4. We dribbled up court, everyone was screaming timeout and then Maverick threw it away. Yes there was an automatic time out coming but we couldn't afford to lose a possession there and we had another terrible grouping of players in at the time.

Another problem that I had was that the Gophers had no chance to extend the game. If you're sitting there with two fouls or whatever it was and you're trailing, I don't think you can just sit on your hands and play defense, hoping you'll get a stop. You've got to give a few fouls instead of just letting them run the clock down.

Another problem that I had was that the Gophers had no chance to extend the game. If you're sitting there with two fouls or whatever it was and you're trailing, I don't think you can just sit on your hands and play defense, hoping you'll get a stop. You've got to give a few fouls instead of just letting them run the clock down.

Yep. Another mistake.

6 coaches sitting over there and they all look lost.

Nobody has been more critical of Tubby than I. I first called for his ouster 2 years ago and was banned for that. Now, it seems my pessimism was spot on.

On the play in question, I almost have to give Tubby a pass. If you watch the replay Austin was coming open on the Wing as Mbakwe looked over to the opposite side. Tubby and staff, probably hoped Mbakwe would fake over there and then make the easy pass to a wide open Austin Hollins....Mbakwe just made a terrible play. I put the blame more on Trev on that play. But Tubby should have made sure that Trev knew that pass was a terrible option and be a last resort. Watching the GOphers, it looks like the coaching staff never go over which plays are dangerous and how turnovers happen. The same dumb plays have been repeated for 5 years.

Top Bottom