Do the players believe they can win?

kapps014

Reaction score
Looking at the faces and/or body posture in our huddle during the last minute when we were down 1. we have the ball & Tubby is drawing up an offensive play. Look at the guys in the huddle. they look disinterested and non-beleiving to me. Watching other teams play you see an intensity or at least more of a concentation in their faces. I don't know....maybe am being overly analytical.

Next thing to notice is their slow, funeral processional walk to the defensive side of the court when ILL had the ball with 50 or so seconds left. WTF? Someone get fired up! Illinois is runniong out there to their spots talking to each other ready to play. Ughhh.

Just a couple observations.

SIDE NOTE - WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF with the under the basket out of bound plays. Do we think it looks cool to throw teh ball 75 feet into the other teams front court?

ANOTHER NOTE: Someone help me heree - why do we continue to set ball screens at the top of the key, but not roll to the basket or cut? Or even pop out to the three point line (not that TM or EE would shoot the 3...but maybe a good chance to reverse the ball)?

Looking at the faces and/or body posture in our huddle during the last minute when we were down 1. we have the ball & Tubby is drawing up an offensive play. Look at the guys in the huddle. they look disinterested and non-beleiving to me. Watching other teams play you see an intensity or at least more of a concentation in their faces. I don't know....maybe am being overly analytical.

Next thing to notice is their slow, funeral processional walk to the defensive side of the court when ILL had the ball with 50 or so seconds left. WTF? Someone get fired up! Illinois is runniong out there to their spots talking to each other ready to play. Ughhh.

SIDE NOTE - WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF with the under the basket out of bound plays. Do we think it looks cool to throw teh ball 75 feet into the other teams front court?

ANOTHER NOTE: Someone help me heree - why do we continue to set ball screens at the top of the key, but not roll to the basket or cut? Or even pop out to the three point line (not that TM or EE would shoot the 3...but maybe a good chance to reverse the ball)?

All observations that I also noticed, and questions that I also have.

This loss was by far the most concerning to me. Nebraska is the only team, including the nonconference season, to score less points than us against Illinois. That's after we scored 84 against them in Illinois a month ago. I've never been a Tubby basher, but he has

Maybe Tubby will do what Dean Smith did. Smith told his players that the day he lacked the fire to do all the things coaches do. ie., recruit, coach, coach, coach he would quit and quit he did at the top of his career. I just don't see any "fire in the belly" in Smith anymore. Look at the video from the Mich St. game in the last 3 minutes. Tubby is sitting in his chair pursing his lips.

This loss was by far the most concerning to me. Nebraska is the only team, including the nonconference season, to score less points than us against Illinois. That's after we scored 84 against them in Illinois a month ago. I've never been a Tubby basher, but he has

Man......You've got me on the edge of my seat. He has........?

Maybe Tubby will do what Dean Smith did. Smith told his players that the day he lacked the fire to do all the things coaches do. ie., recruit, coach, coach, coach he would quit and quit he did at the top of his career. I just don't see any "fire in the belly" in Smith anymore. Look at the video from the Mich St. game in the last 3 minutes. Tubby is sitting in his chair pursing his lips.

I miss the days of Clem ranting & raving (and coaching and hellping his players grow). I can still see him teaching Melvin Newburn. I tend to think Melvin believed in, respected, and admired his coach.

I don't think the players respect Tubby anymore. He yells and shouts at that and blames them after losses when his lack of in game adjustments is the real problem.

x2 They believe they are going to lose almost as much as we as fans know it. The Gopher sideline is grim, negative and has no energy. Probably a combinations of coaches and players are too blame for another collapse. But who put this team together? You can't have three players on the floor at the same time who can't hit a three in today's game.

completely lost this team.

I remember Yeo called out the Wild last year when they went from 1st to nowhere near the playoffs. The gist of what he said was that they were giving legitimacy to everyone who said they were over-achieving and would fall apart eventually. That feels very appropriate to what is going on here.

Whether or not such a press conference would work is debatable. I feel like the team had a momentary uptick if anything.

At this level one doesn't coach the mental toughness it takes to win ine recruits it and we don't have enough of it that simple

During the Iowa game, I was screaming at Rodney (or anyone) to cut to the dang basket. Sometimes it just seems like random, meaningless nothing out there.

Coach? What are you doing under the bus?

During the Iowa game, I was screaming at Rodney (or anyone) to cut to the dang basket. Sometimes it just seems like random, meaningless nothing out there.

We have seen Coleman, Rodney, and Dre all take the ball to the hoop with success over the past 2 seasons. Rodney was nearly unstoppable late last year. Coleman has shown times in his first two seasons where he can take over a game. And we all know Dre's ability. So what has happened since early January to these 3 players that they suddenly are so timid on offense?

We have seen Coleman, Rodney, and Dre all take the ball to the hoop with success over the past 2 seasons. Rodney was nearly unstoppable late last year. Coleman has shown times in his first two seasons where he can take over a game. And we all know Dre's ability. So what has happened since early January to these 3 players that they suddenly are so timid on offense?

That's what I can't for the life of me figure out. We even see flashes of it during games and then it stops. The cuts are there to take; I can see them. These nimble forwards of ours are unique talents that can be taken advantage of consistently with the right movement, screening and passing.

That's what I can't for the life of me figure out. We even see flashes of it during games and then it stops. The cuts are there to take; I can see them. These nimble forwards of ours are unique talents that can be taken advantage of consistently with the right movement, screening and passing.

I have seen dozens and dozens of times this year that Coleman and especially Rodney get the ball rotated to the them at a wing spot and the entire side is clear but their defender. The vast majority of the time they catch the ball and wait to pass, allowing the defense to fill in the vacant holes. These two guys are not in the game for long-range shooting prowess, they're there to create. The team needs them to start going to the hoop.

x2 You can't have three players on the floor at the same time who can't hit a three in today's game.

You mean our starting lineup with Rodney? We have the two Hollins that are very good 3pt shooters. We have Welch and Mav who can hit it when they can get time with their lack of quickness. Also neither is very tall so they have to be wide open. I really hope Buggs can shoot the 3. It looks like the future will be more of the same.

Our players have lost confidence, that and we are playing half court big ten basketball without all the shooters other teams have. Why have an athletic team if you cannot be effective turning the other team over and running? Wouldnt you rather have a skilled team that was a little bit less athletic or a combination of both?

Our players have lost confidence, that and we are playing half court big ten basketball without all the shooters other teams have. Why have an athletic team if you cannot be effective turning the other team over and running? Wouldnt you rather have a skilled team that was a little bit less athletic or a combination of both?

I would prefer if Rodney was a lethal outside shooter, but you go to war with the army you have. Once you've seen this team operating like they can with screening, cutting and interior passing, you realize we can win with these guys, even if it's not copycatting all the other teams out there. It's good to be unique. The question is why they're not consistently playing the way they can and have.

IMO you don't need turnovers to play fast as many claim.

Watch UNC get up and down the court, they always play fast. They sprint up the court after a made shot! Florida often does too. Then you take the first decent look you get. It is Dantoni style 7 seconds or less, quick passing, the ball finds energy.

It is possible.

The Gophers philosophy seems to be run on a turnover where they have 1 or fewer defenders get back or stall for 35 seconds and hope Andre hits a prayer shot. Occasionally you'll see good offensive movement, but it is often late or very rare. When a guy catches the ball, someone should be coming off of a screen almost immediately. It shouldn't be pass. Start movement for 5 seconds. Pass again. Start movement for 5 seconds. It slows things down when that is not what we are built to do.

IMO you don't need turnovers to play fast as many claim.

Watch UNC get up and down the court, they always play fast. They sprint up the court after a made shot! Florida often does too. Then you take the first decent look you get. It is Dantoni style 7 seconds or less, quick passing, the ball finds energy.

It is possible.

The Gophers philosophy seems to be run on a turnover where they have 1 or fewer defenders get back or stall for 35 seconds and hope Andre hits a prayer shot. Occasionally you'll see good offensive movement, but it is often late or very rare. When a guy catches the ball, someone should be coming off of a screen almost immediately. It shouldn't be pass. Start movement for 5 seconds. Pass again. Start movement for 5 seconds. It slows things down when that is not what we are built to do.

I often wonder if they are so gassed from running around like chickens in the ball line defense that they decide to rest a little on offense. Each component of the game can affect something else.

Top Bottom