I really thought this year was different.

Becky Vadger

Reaction score
I really thought we had turned a corner and were going to battle for a B10 championship and a Final Four this year.

Can't believe the season is falling apart again.

I have always loved Tubby and still do, but WTH is going on? How can we look SOOOOOOO good early on and look like a bottom half of the conference team again now?

Anyone have any answers or reasons to have hope that the season isn't lost?

I'll bite. He is trying to destroy the team. He can not handle success anymore. It reflects on the team. However, the team was never as good as advertised.

The one thing you cannot argue about with a Tubby coached team is that they never seem to have an answer for strategic changes made by the opposing coach. Mbakwe looked like he had never seen a double team in his life. I could understand a little panic on the first one, but it lasted the entire second half. Absolutely no offensive flow that second half and Tubby did not make any apparent adjustments to what Illinois was doing defensively.

I really thought we had turned a corner and were going to battle for a B10 championship and a Final Four this year.

Can't believe the season is falling apart again.

I have always loved Tubby and still do, but WTH is going on? How can we look SOOOOOOO good early on and look like a bottom half of the conference team again now?

Anyone have any answers or reasons to have hope that the season isn't lost?

After the Michigan loss, I believe, the players were upset that Tubby said some negative things about their effort. Ever since, the players have played absolutely awful, timid, slow, and unconfident. I don't know if the two are correlated.
Three guys in particular have played under their abilities: Coleman, Rodney, and Andre. It's time one of those guys steps up before the season is lost.

Regarding the double team on Trevor in the last minute, I can't believe one of the coaches didn't call a timeout. We had 3 at that point and possesions were at a premium.

Regarding the double team on Trevor in the last minute, I can't believe one of the coaches didn't call a timeout. We had 3 at that point and possesions were at a premium.

We don't call timeouts. Haven't you noticed?

After the Michigan loss, I believe, the players were upset that Tubby said some negative things about their effort. Ever since, the players have played absolutely awful, timid, slow, and unconfident. I don't know if the two are correlated.
Three guys in particular have played under their abilities: Coleman, Rodney, and Andre. It's time one of those guys steps up before the season is lost.

Timid, slow, and unconfident - agree 100%. How much fo coaching is pushing the right buttons or knowing when to push and when to step away? I think there is something to so many players leaving under his tenure. I also believe, if yoiu look at the players faces and body posture, that they don't believe in him or themselves.

The bench is a bunch of clowns. That's the biggest issue. Tubby is responsible for that. Mav, Welch, Walker, Oto, Ingram would not win the MIAC.

Timid, slow, and unconfident - agree 100%. How much fo coaching is pushing the right buttons or knowing when to push and when to step away? I think there is something to so many players leaving under his tenure. I also believe, if yoiu look at the players faces and body posture, that they don't believe in him or themselves.

They do seem like a different team since Rodney sent the tweet.

Seems like Tubby might have lost some of the guys that night.

A couple of our guys still bring it every night, but you are correct that three or four of them just look miserable out there most of the time.

A couple of our guys still bring it every night, but you are correct that three or four of them just look miserable out there most of the time.

Agreed.

IMO guys look scared on offense. Passing up open shots and scared to screw up. Can't win a lot of games when you are scared.

All that said, while this is a talented team. People over estimate that talent. And THAT said, Tubby seems to be doing a not so great job.

No time out on Trevs two late second half turnovers when he was doubled (why did we pass him the ball down there?) and why the hell didn't EE foul Abrams when he got caught out? We had a foul to give...instead we give up the dagger three.

This is coaching and I am tired of it. Problem is, and I say this everytime, as long as our BB facilities remain second rate with no plan in place to upgrade...who would come here to coach? Frankly the job at MN is NOT in the top 50 right now...

Is it me or did Indiana also just lose to Illinois? There a lot of winnable games left, starting with Thursday. Make the tournament, which is still very likely, and see what happens.

Is it me or did Indiana also just lose to Illinois? There a lot of winnable games left, starting with Thursday. Make the tournament, which is still very likely, and see what happens.

They did beat Indiana. Can you honestly say this is what you expected in Tubby Smith's sixth year when we hired him? He's been terrible to be honest; I've tried to stick with him but I just can't. The way the team plays bothers me, the offense isn't fun to watch and they all look scared or uninterested.

We had a similar situation when I played HS ball in St. Paul way back when. As 10th graders, we were dominant, finishing something like 21-4 on the year. Our coach was young, sharp, and a real firebrand. When we moved up the varsity, we had a really nice head coach who knew zip, zero, nada about coaching. He'd routinely (to his credit) have the B-squad firebrand come in and guide us through things like how to attack a zone press, how to beat a 1-3-1 halfcourt defense, etc. Problem was when the games started, we'd be unable to adjust to something we'd not seen before! Our starting lineup had incredible size, even by today's standards: 6'10" center, 6'6" and 6'5 forwards, 6'2 and 6'0 guards. And that squad could not even win the St. Paul City Conference! We were torpedoed by poor coaching, constantly felt underprepared and confused out there. We all knew the emperor had no clothes, but could not say so outright. Eventually this guy was replaced, but well after this massive, talented squad had moved on. They made the guy an AD, btw. Figures....I really feel for the guys on this Gopher squad. Been there. No fun. No joy.

This team looks headed to a 8-10 finish.....or maybe 9-9. Would 8-10 get them in the ncaa tourney?

I tend to agree. The guys seem to have tuned Tubby out and if that's the case, he has nobody to blame but himself. Having said that, the guys were for the most part awful against Michigan, so its not as if they deserve a pity party after how they played that game.

I guess if I had to sum it up, I would argue that everyone on that team, coaches and players alike, deserve to be pasted by the media, the fans , and anybody who enjoys watching good basketball with how they've let things completely unravel over the past few weeks. Because they all shoulder the blame for what has happened since the Michigan game.

i agree with you guys in this one...

...things seemed to really fall apart after that night... team chemistry on the floor not as good as earlier in the year and body language poorer --

I tend to agree. The guys seem to have tuned Tubby out and if that's the case, he has nobody to blame but himself. Having said that, the guys were for the most part awful against Michigan, so its not as if they deserve a pity party after how they played that game.

I guess if I had to sum it up, I would argue that everyone on that team, coaches and players alike, deserve to be pasted by the media, the fans , and anybody who enjoys watching good basketball with how they've let things completely unravel over the past few weeks. Because they all shoulder the blame for what has happened since the Michigan game.

It really seems like Tubby thought calling out bad play was the same thing as throwing someone under the bus.

Tubby has lost this team and it is reflected in their play, especially at home.

The one thing you cannot argue about with a Tubby coached team is that they never seem to have an answer for strategic changes made by the opposing coach. Mbakwe looked like he had never seen a double team in his life. I could understand a little panic on the first one, but it lasted the entire second half. Absolutely no offensive flow that second half and Tubby did not make any apparent adjustments to what Illinois was doing defensively.

This!

I get what you are saying about Illinois. I'm just deflated that what I thought was a breakthrough year for us has turned into another year where we lose to middle of the pack teams on our home court.

The next two games look to be huge for our NCAA chances.

Win both, and we should definitely make it. Lose both, and we will be sweating it out until Selection Sunday.

I would give most anything to see us humiliate Becky on Thursday.

No time out on Trevs two late second half turnovers when he was doubled (why did we pass him the ball down there?) and why the hell didn't EE foul Abrams when he got caught out? We had a foul to give...instead we give up the dagger three.

This is coaching and I am tired of it. Problem is, and I say this everytime, as long as our BB facilities remain second rate with no plan in place to upgrade...who would come here to coach? Frankly the job at MN is NOT in the top 50 right now...

EE didn't foul Abrams - rightfully so - shot clock was winding down, Abrams not much of an offensive threat, and if he is fouled then the shot clock starts anew. They were playing to get the ball back at the 15-second mark down 1. Either foul them right at 50 seconds upon the inbounds, or don't foul at all. EE did it right, Abrams just knocked it down (of course he did).

It really seems like Tubby thought calling out bad play was the same thing as throwing someone under the bus.

Tubby has lost this team and it is reflected in their play, especially at home.

I don't get why everyone is throwing tubby under the bus. It's plan and simple this team can't shoot. Miss after miss on open jump shots. Don't even get me started on coleman. I don't know how a D-1 player can miss shots like he does. How about pass the ball once also. He had Trevor wide open at least twice but forced up a bad shot or turned it over.

I don't get why everyone is throwing tubby under the bus. It's plan and simple this team can't shoot. Miss after miss on open jump shots. Don't even get me started on coleman. I don't know how a D-1 player can miss shots like he does. How about pass the ball once also. He had Trevor wide open at least twice but forced up a bad shot or turned it over.

Who recruited these bricklayers you are referring to?

I'll throw in my .02 after watching Tubby's teams closely for the past 6 years. I think Tubby tires out his team mentally as the season goes on. I also think he's abrasive, meaning his guys don't like playing for him, they play in spite of him. He's not a rally the troops around you type of coach. It becomes a grind on the players and instead of having fun, they start second guessing their abilities and it becomes a chore.

How can you not blame Tubby when he is the one that recruited the guys that missed the open jump shots.

I'll throw in my .02 after watching Tubby's teams closely for the past 6 years. I think Tubby tires out his team mentally as the season goes on. I also think he's abrasive, meaning his guys don't like playing for him, they play in spite of him. He's not a rally the troops around you type of coach. It becomes a grind on the players and instead of having fun, they start second guessing their abilities and it becomes a chore.

Bingo.

He's a control freak. The way he did it 20 years ago worked then and always should- any problem with that and the player is at fault. When your subs have hurt you every game when playing all together you keep doing it. When the subs score 0 points in a couple of games you draw the conclusion that they should play MORE.

It appears he's not at all fun to play for and that he just doesn't find a way to augment the talents of the players he recruits.

I'm not saying tubby isn't at fault on the way where playing right now. It just was frustrating tonight watching brick after brick go up. Just really disappointed in this team right now.

Top Bottom