Gophers Walk The Dogs, Creeping Up On First Place

Twynntown

Reaction score
The Gophers (19-4-4, 11-4-4 WCHA) took on St. Cloud State (17-11-1, 14-6-1 WCHA) tonight at the National Ice Center in St. Cloud.

Let's keep this simple. Here is what I saw.

* Waaaay too many turnovers in the defensive zone!

* Wilcox was stellar, mostly because of the turnovers he had to bail his teammates on. Wilcox faced 24 shots in the game, and it seemed like half of those were difficult saves. He made it look easy.

* Haula had 2 goals after moving back to Center following a couple of weekends at Wing, while recovering from a hand injury. The indication this week is he is almost fully recovered, but not quite 100%. The hand seemed to be functioning well for him tonight.

* St. Cloud native Nate Schmidt had a goal and an assist upon his return to the National Ice Center.

The Gophers will take on the Huskies again tomorrow night in St. Cloud. Game time is 7:00 PM (Central). The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports North PLUS.

I liked the attitude last night. They kept taking the gameto them.

So long as we at least grab a tie, we will be in control of our own destiny. A win really puts us in the driver's seat.

So long as we at least grab a tie, we will be in control of our own destiny. A win really puts us in the driver's seat.

If we lose tonight, then last night was meaningless. I think we get another W tonight with Wilcox leading the way.

A loss would feel like a losing weekend (despite a split), a tie would feel satisfactory, and a win would make it a great weekend. Did you notice how Wilcox really looked "non-chalant" after a few saves last night? He takes his time getting up, almost like he didn't feel challenged? I'm not saying this in a negative way. I couldn't help asking myself the question, is he doing that to get in the heads of the SCSU team? Watch him tonight, and see if he does it again. I noticed he was doing it the last few games before the break, and wondered if he was fatigued. But he's well rested, and in great shape, according to Lucia. So now I wonder if it's part of his game. Didn't notice it the first couple of months of the season.
If we lose tonight, then last night was meaningless. I think we get another W tonight with Wilcox leading the way.

Have to believe that the Huskies are going to come out flying tonight. I'll be very impressed if the Gophers can push the pace again and pick up the sweep.

Have to believe that the Huskies are going to come out flying tonight. I'll be very impressed if the Gophers can push the pace again and pick up the sweep.

I feel like we are a better team. If both team's bring their A-game, I like our chances. We tend to sluff off a little either on Friday against weak opponents or on Saturday following a Friday win, so that is my biggest concern.

I feel like we are a better team. If both team's bring their A-game, I like our chances. We tend to sluff off a little either on Friday against weak opponents or on Saturday following a Friday win, so that is my biggest concern.

And you nailed it.

Top Bottom