Bill Walton is just out of control

Reaction score
Even more than usual. I am probably in the minority but I find him hilarious. His partner essentially ignored him during the final two minutes of the first half as Walton was carrying on about big men. At one point he was talking about a UCLA professor that had died. "He has touched every single student that ever stepped foot inside his classroom!"

"UCLA did beat UC Irvine and Northridge which caused UCLA fans to jump up and down and renew their season tickets!"

"I can tell by the way you walk, the way you stand, you were a great basketball player!"

I love listening to Walton. He was in fine form tonight. After prodding from play by play partner Dave Pasch, he ripped Ben Howland a new one for the Bruins' style of play. The guy knows how to entertain.

You may recall that Bill Walton was/is a big Grateful Dead fan. I will never forget a TV interview with Brent Musberger back when Walton was in the NBA. His team, Portland, had won a playoff series and would now meet the Houston Rockets in the next round.

Musberger: So, Bill, how about Houston?

Walton: Too close to New Orleans.

You may recall that Bill Walton was/is a big Grateful Dead fan. I will never forget a TV interview with Brent Musberger back when Walton was in the NBA. His team, Portland, had won a playoff series and would now meet the Houston Rockets in the next round.

That's awesome. I've never heard of that before. I don't know if you are a Dead fan but the new Dave's Picks that just came out is a 1973 recording from Pauley Pavilion. Bill Walton attended the concert and wrote all of the liner notes for the CD. Its pretty cool.

I actually enjoy Walton as well. His willingness to say whatever he is thinking is refreshing. He was definitely not impressed with the offensive effort from either team last night.

I actually enjoy Walton as well. His willingness to say whatever he is thinking is refreshing. He was definitely not impressed with the offensive effort from either team last night.

Loved his sarcasm when he made fun of how small the crowd was: "As the half-full Pauley Pavilion crowd rises to its feet as one. ..."

You can tell how much it kills him to see so few people interested in UCLA basketball. He pretty much put that on Howland's preferred style of play. ... muck it up and not allow his best players (i.e. Anderson, Muhammad) much freedom.

I thought he made another good point when he was talking about UCLA. Paraphrasing he said, "Look at those guys, do any of 'em look like they're having fun playing basketball?" I took that as a big zinger directed right at Howland. I understand that coaches have to ride their players (and sometimes ride them really hard), but that's one thing I've noticed with a quite a few teams. Too many players are robotic and look like they're not enjoying the game. Too many college coaches are complete control freaks. Maybe scoring in college basketball would pick up if the control freaks would allow their players a little more freedom and individual decision making.

He is just fun to listen to. Period. The guy calls it like he sees it without worry of ramifications. I watched the whole first half of the game and it reminded me of watching an elite aau game in the summer...everyone out for themselves. What a contrast after watching Indiana/Illinois. The BIG is so much more functional offensively...they play as a team.

It kills Walton to see what is going on at UCLA.

This is awesome!!! I'm a huge Dead fan and a big Bill Walton fan.

This is awesome!!! I'm a huge Dead fan and a big Bill Walton fan.

I really like Walton too. He always brings something interesting to the games. I can't count the number of times I have watched games I really have no interest in just to hear some of the stuff he says...a true classic.

My favorite Bill Walton moment was when he was announcing a Wolves playoff game. My roommate at the time was the biggest Olowokandi fan in the history of mankind. I was on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. Kandi did something poorly and Walton blurts out, "I'm not sure Olowokandi can play at this level."

A few trips down the court and Kandi finally corrals a reboudn. Walton's partner (Breen?): "The crowd cheering Olowokandi's contributions!"

Walton: "I must have missed it!"

The dude is nuts, but I enjoy him in small doses.

Turned on the game, heard his voice, changed channel.

I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind that enjoys him, that's great. He's just not my flavor.

He's kinda like Dick Vitale or even A.J. Pierzynski. Either you love him or hate him. I don't really care for him as he can go way over the top sometimes. For the most part, I like announcers like I like the refs. If you don't really notice them, then they've done a good job usually.

Bill Walton is actually doing self-parody, and he is excellent at his craft.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/13-reasons-why-bill-walton-is-the-craziest-announcer-alive

Bow down.
enhanced-buzz-26437-1360279380-16.jpg

" Dick Vitale or even A.J. Pierzynski. Either you love him or hate him."

If ya don't know him, ya hate him. If ya know him, ya hate him less. (Ozzie Guillen)

You might like Bill Walton until it's your school who's in the cross-hairs with his drivel - just hope he sticks to the West Coast.

He has the same opinion that every player and every team should run up and down the court all game, and of course he says that while ignoring the talent level and conditioning of the players that would be subjected to his "gameplan." To Walton a halfcourt game is undesirable no matter how well it is played.

Walton would be the worst coach in college basketball if he practiced what he preached, yet he's out there repeatedly criticizing coaches for their style of actually trying to play defense and execute plays in the halfcourt offense. It appears that some seem to enjoy his comments because they just do not take him seriously, but I can't take his comments lightly when he's basically saying a coach should be fired. And in 2007 he criticized Thad Matta for not having Greg Oden running the floor all game in spite of the fact that Oden wouldn't be able to run the floor more without sitting on the bench a lot more. Walton is a village idiot who adds nothing of value to a telecast unless you're considering comedic value. He is not a good color commentator.

Ben Howland may deserve to be fired at UCLA considering their extremely high expectations and the fact that he has failed to meet those expectations for four years now. But criticizing Howland because the style of play or lack of fan support is foolish. He brought that style from Pitt where he won big, and he won big with the same style his first few years at UCLA - and of course the fans were there to support them well when he was winning. The lack of leadership, discipline and character have been the main problems lately at UCLA.

"Charlie Ward is terrible. He is just terrible."

Does anyone else remember that gem from the late 90's?

Would be entertaining to get his take on our club after watching them for a few games.

You might like Bill Walton until it's your school who's in the cross-hairs with his drivel - just hope he sticks to the West Coast.

He has the same opinion that every player and every team should run up and down the court all game, and of course he says that while ignoring the talent level and conditioning of the players that would be subjected to his "gameplan." To Walton a halfcourt game is undesirable no matter how well it is played.

Walton would be the worst coach in college basketball if he practiced what he preached, yet he's out there repeatedly criticizing coaches for their style of actually trying to play defense and execute plays in the halfcourt offense. It appears that some seem to enjoy his comments because they just do not take him seriously, but I can't take his comments lightly when he's basically saying a coach should be fired. And in 2007 he criticized Thad Matta for not having Greg Oden running the floor all game in spite of the fact that Oden wouldn't be able to run the floor more without sitting on the bench a lot more. Walton is a village idiot who adds nothing of value to a telecast unless you're considering comedic value. He is not a good color commentator.

Ben Howland may deserve to be fired at UCLA considering their extremely high expectations and the fact that he has failed to meet those expectations for four years now. But criticizing Howland because the style of play or lack of fan support is foolish. He brought that style from Pitt where he won big, and he won big with the same style his first few years at UCLA - and of course the fans were there to support them well when he was winning. The lack of leadership, discipline and character have been the main problems lately at UCLA.

OSUfan, welcome back. I agree with your post as always. What you said about UCLA is what I think about the Gophers and Tubby. Lack of leadership and diciplin has been a problem with the Gophers. After last season, I thought that Tubby was going to retire but he didn't. He should have. He is such a great man who relies heavily on his coaching. He thinks that he can bring anybody in and make him a good player. Some players just don't get better under leadership of some coaches. Look at what is happening in UK. Cal has all of these 5-star players but when he lost his best player, he lost his season. I have said that many times. Gophers have been playing to avoid losing not winning. That is something that I think will never gets fixed under Tubby. He should move on and start all over in another program. Players need a different voice. Back to UCLA, I think Ben needs to move on too. He is a great coach also but like you said there has been too many problems.

Go Gophers

So you're pissed off he criticized your Buckeyes by saying they should run more often?

I would love to hear Walton go into a 5 minute diatribe when Tubby pulls Mbakwe with 2 fouls. "cmon Tubby, it's only 2 fouls...he gets Fiiiiiiiiiiivvveeeee."

Something tells me he won't be complaining about Tubby's stubburness.

Top Bottom