Nate Wolters drop 53 on IPFW

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
17 for 28 from the floor, including 9 for 14 from 3. Keeps Jackrabbits in a first-place tie in the Summit League.

Where's the poster who would rather have Mav than Nate ?

Where are the Nate Wolters couldn't play for the Gophers holers? Nate was also named top 10 finalist for Cousy award.

Just imagine what a good player would have done against IPFW, whoever the hell they are.

I'm not going to stick around for this thread because the idiots are going to be out in full force. But dat boy good. Real good.

Coach Molinari's Western Illinois Leathernecks are tied for the lead in the Summit League with South Dakota State. Just imagine if he stayed with the Gophers!

Okay I'll bite. Apples and oranges. Summit League vs. Big Ten.

53 points against the RPI 308 team that SD trailed to all game until two and a half minutes to go. Nice offensive effort against one of the most horrible teams in the NCAA. SD fans should be rightfully happy though--just as I am whenever a Gopher lights up any opponent.

I'm still not convinced the kid will have a significant impact in the NBA, let alone be able to guard someone. He's no Jimmer Fredette and even Jimmer has struggled a bit playing better competition.

As it has been mentioned before here, Wolters has benefitted from being able to play a ton throughout his college career and do so against lesser talent. He's made the most of that route but it would be hard to imagine him playing at the same level had he been on a Big Ten roster throughout his collegiate tenure. Even now, imagine Wolters against Appling or Burke or Andre or any other Big Ten guard night in and night out. Or how would he do on a team where he's not the #1 scoring option or can't put up 30 shots a night?

But we'll see soon enough how he does against top flight talent.

Okay I'll bite. Apples and oranges. Summit League vs. Big Ten.

53 points against the RPI 308 team that SD trailed to all game until two and a half minutes to go. Nice offensive effort against one of the most horrible teams in the NCAA. SD fans should be rightfully happy though--just as I am whenever a Gopher lights up any opponent.

I'm still not convinced the kid will have a significant impact in the NBA, let alone be able to guard someone. He's no Jimmer Fredette and even Jimmer has struggled a bit playing better competition.

As it has been mentioned before here, Wolters has benefitted from being able to play a ton throughout his college career and do so against lesser talent. He's made the most of that route but it would be hard to imagine him playing at the same level had he been on a Big Ten roster throughout his collegiate tenure. Even now, imagine Wolters against Appling or Burke or Andre or any other Big Ten guard night in and night out. Or how would he do on a team where he's not the #1 scoring option or can't put up 30 shots a night?

But we'll see soon enough how he does against top flight talent.

25 Pts, 9 assists against Iowa 2 years ago, and his team won by 10
16 Pts, 11 assists against then #16 Gophers 2 years ago as a Sophomore
20 Pts, 6 Rebs, 5 assists against the Gophers last year
35 Pts, 7 assists, 5 Rebs @ Washington last year (against 2 NBA 1st round guards)
19 Pts, 5 Rebs, 5 Assists in the NCAA tourney last year. Gave Baylor hell in a close game.
30 Pts against Alabama. 19th in the nation in points allowed, Joe Lunardi's first four out, but hot.
28 Pts, 4 Rebs, 7 assists in the Pit. #15 New Mexico's only loss at home this season.

Get out of here with the he wouldn't do well against top flight talent, and that he wouldn't play well against Big Ten guards. Guess what? He's already done it! Ask Terrence Ross, Tony Wroten, or their coach Lorenzo Romar what they think of Wolters. Oh wait, we already have a quote from Coach Romar: "I haven't seen a performance like that since Jason Kidd was in the Pac-10," Romar said. "The guy played the entire game without a turnover. Without a turnover. Seven assists. Thirty-four points. That's a heckuva game."

Probably not happy that we took 5-star Royce White over unrated, only-offers-from-UND-and-SDSU Nate Wolters.

Could Nate Wolters put up 41 on Memphis?

He put up 35, and added 7 assists and 5 boards against NBA 1st round guards Wroten and Ross last year. :rolleyes:

My grandma, who has been dead for 9 years, put up 45 against IPFW last week.

Kudos to the young man. 53 points is 53 points. Not sure what the need is to downplay that kind of a performance. Like Jibrahnike pointed out, it's not like the kid has never done it vs. quality competition.

Hoping Wolters gets another chance on the national stage (NCAA Tournament), but SDSU will have its hands full to get the Summit's automatic bid. There are three other teams (Molinari's WIU squad, NDSU, and Oakland) capable of winning it.

Yeah, Aaron Craft would've gone for 90! :blah:

Are you nates mom? Nate would not be the scoring machine at Minnesota that he is at sdsu. There is zero chance he would take as many shots here compared to sdsu.

25 Pts, 9 assists against Iowa 2 years ago, and his team won by 10
16 Pts, 11 assists against then #16 Gophers 2 years ago as a Sophomore
20 Pts, 6 Rebs, 5 assists against the Gophers last year
35 Pts, 7 assists, 5 Rebs @ Washington last year (against 2 NBA 1st round guards)
19 Pts, 5 Rebs, 5 Assists in the NCAA tourney last year. Gave Baylor hell in a close game.
30 Pts against Alabama. 19th in the nation in points allowed, Joe Lunardi's first four out, but hot.
28 Pts, 4 Rebs, 7 assists in the Pit. #15 New Mexico's only loss at home this season.

Get out of here with the he wouldn't do well against top flight talent, and that he wouldn't play well against Big Ten guards. Guess what? He's already done it! Ask Terrence Ross, Tony Wroten, or their coach Lorenzo Romar what they think of Wolters. Oh wait, we already have a quote from Coach Romar: "I haven't seen a performance like that since Jason Kidd was in the Pac-10," Romar said. "The guy played the entire game without a turnover. Without a turnover. Seven assists. Thirty-four points. That's a heckuva game."

People can marginalize the 53 point effort as much as they want (though how many players have scored 53 on IFPW this year?) But as you showed, to claim that he cannot be effective against high level talent shows a pretty blatant disregard for his history of performing against high level talent.

What a bunch of jealous fools. If you all remember, Hollins played against two summit teams this year.. He averaged about 13 pts. Why the jealousy for a MN kid doing so well? He isn't a Gopher? Well, it wasn't his choice.
Nobody is suggesting he would score 53 pts in the Big Ten. That is a lame argument. Nobody is suggesting he would average 20 pts per game in the Big Ten. Stop the lame arguments. However, he is a better pg than anything we have had here in a very long time. He is on track to be the only player to ever score 2300 points with 600 assists. Ever. Alot of players have played in leagues like the Summit. Just stop with the foolish comparisons. He is a finalist for the Cousy award and the Naismith award. The kid is a terrific player and form MN and we should be giving him props.

Finally, anyone comparing him to Al Nolen....just stop watching basketball.

What a bunch of jealous fools. If you all remember, Hollins played against two summit teams this year.. He averaged about 13 pts. Why the jealousy for a MN kid doing so well? He isn't a Gopher? Well, it wasn't his choice.
Nobody is suggesting he would score 53 pts in the Big Ten. That is a lame argument. Nobody is suggesting he would average 20 pts per game in the Big Ten. Stop the lame arguments. However, he is a better pg than anything we have had here in a very long time. He is on track to be the only player to ever score 2300 points with 600 assists. Ever. Alot of players have played in leagues like the Summit. Just stop with the foolish comparisons. He is a finalist for the Cousy award and the Naismith award. The kid is a terrific player and form MN and we should be giving him props.

Finally, anyone comparing him to Al Nolen....just stop watching basketball.

I'm happy for the kid I just don't know why people think he would have been the same player at Minnesota? Nate wouldn't have been allowed to shoot on every possession and not play any defense.

Wolters obviously wouldn't put up the same numbers he has over the years at SDSU but he would be a much needed addition to the team. No one on the team outside of Dre and Austin (on good days) can create opportunities for himself and others like he can. He has constantly proven himself against great talent, even in his high school days against the Hopkins powerhouse in the state tournament. Anytime the Gophers miss out on someone people want to downplay their abilities because they are elsewhere. Who would you take before him on the current Gophers roster outside of Rodney, Dre and Trevor?

I would take him over everyone but Dre and Trevor. He probably could average 13 pts 5 ass a game in the big ten. All conference, especially this year, no. It's a miss. I am not sure even if people knew he would progress this way that Tubby would have recruited him. He is not an athlete. LOL

I am now regretting that I posted Wolter's 53-point outing, though eventually someone else would have. Can we just leave it at a Minnesota kid had an outstanding night and has had an outsanding D-I career, and give him credit for that? The kid's a player. No need to haggle over what might or might not have been.

He would fit on our roster, unfortunately we can have this same sense of loss/sorrow when the Broman kid from Lakeview is doing the same thing for the Jackrabbits. Same thing when Ben from NDSU lit up nationally ranked opponents in the NCAA tourney in the first two rounds at the dome. The top tier of teams- including the Gophers- just has a hard time believing that a white guard from rural Minnesota can play in the Big Ten.

Completely hypothetical if you could add any one player from the state of Minnesota currently playing college elsewhere to this seasons Gophers team who would it be Dower(Gonzaga), Chambers(Harvard), Wolters(SDSU), Emory(Oregon), Jett(Saint Louis), Muscala(Bucknell) or anyone else? I think my choice would be between Chambers or Wolters and think both would fit in pretty well on this years team.

I am now regretting that I posted Wolter's 53-point outing, though eventually someone else would have. Can we just leave it at a Minnesota kid had an outstanding night and has had an oustanding D-I career, and give him credit for that? The kid's a player. No need to haggle over what might or might not have been.

As soon as I saw you start this thread, SS, my first thought was "Aw $hit, here we go again."

The fact that he hit for 53 is awesome. Everyone who comments about him, be it good or bad, is just arguing opinions that have no counter arguments. You called it haggling, I call it Idiot Wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom