Flip Weighs In During Spartans Game

I Miss D.J.

Reaction score
Even Flip was frustrated last night by our stagnant half-court offense. From Twitter:

"Come on #gophers got to score some points."

And then:

"Like all #gopher fans frustrating when not scoring and tough to get into flow. Too much turnover difference."

Interesting timing. Thoughts? Just bitching by another Gopher fan, or more intentional?

Speaking of having trouble scoring, Dan Dakich was hilarious in the ESPNU studio last night. He was just ripping teams and college basketball in general for all the low-scoring, butt-ugly games. Can't say I disagree with him. Seems like there have been an unusual amount of low-scoring games this season with putrid offense, where teams can't throw the ball in the ocean (when they're not turning it over).

In particular, the TCU-Kansas, Sparty-Gophers, and Alabama-Auburn games drew his ire.

Speaking of having trouble scoring, Dan Dakich was hilarious in the ESPNU studio last night. He was just ripping teams and college basketball in general for all the low-scoring, butt-ugly games. Can't say I disagree with him. Seems like there have been an unusual amount of low-scoring games with putrid offense, where teams can't even throw the ball in the ocean.

In particular, the TCU-Kansas, Sparty-Gophers, and Alabama-Auburn games drew his ire.

I was thinking about this trend this morning. Is it more sophisticated defense, or poor offense and fundamentals. It'd be interesting to see some data on average scoring and possessions league wide over the past 5-10 years.

Speaking of having trouble scoring, Dan Dakich was hilarious in the ESPNU studio last night. He was just ripping teams and college basketball in general for all the low-scoring, butt-ugly games. Can't say I disagree with him. Seems like there have been an unusual amount of low-scoring games this season with putrid offense, where teams can't throw the ball in the ocean (when they're not turning it over).

Is the 'Wisconsin ugly' starting to take hold at Minnesota. Is there a McCarthy connection there?

It would appear that scoring has consistently gone down as this season has gone along. I think teams like the Gophers are getting tighter and tighter as losses pile up. Coaches would rather play Bo Ryan ball and give their team a chance to steal a win late than play it loose and free.

I was thinking about this trend this morning. Is it more sophisticated defense, or poor offense and fundamentals. It'd be interesting to see some data on average scoring and possessions league wide over the past 5-10 years.

Not possessions, but I did collect a little bit of scoring data last week: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?43975-Big-Ten-and-College-Basketball-Scoring

Edit: Looks like I joined the 6K post club. I feel so honored!

Yes we should be scoring more but we did go into the half with the lead and scored more in the second half than we did the first. Perhaps it was more of a defensive and turnover differential problem. If we take care of the ball and play defensively as well as we did the first half the results may have been better.(I did see some bad defense in the first half also so it wasn't all good by any means.)

Is the 'Wisconsin ugly' starting to take hold at Minnesota. Is there a McCarthy connection there?

Apparently "Wisconsin ugly" = the fewest turnovers in the nation. Yes, they are #1 in the country at 9.22tpg. Minnesota is 198th at 13.83tpg.

I thought about making an incredibly detailed explanation of that with all kinds of graphs and pictures, putting it on my blog, twittering about it and posting a link here...but decided I could sum it up in one line instead.

I see the thread started by millions2spare didn't last too long.

Watch Florida and the way their offense operates in the half court, compare that to the Gophers.

good point

Watch Florida and the way their offense operates in the half court, compare that to the Gophers.

If you watch Florida you will notice they have 4 3pt shooters on the court with a good post player, same with Indiana, same with Michigan. We have 2 3 pt shooters, this tends to make the defense sag and a lot of stuff doesn't work.

We don't screen, cut well, or feed the post. All areas of improvement, plus i say recruit forwards who can shoot.

If you watch Florida you will notice they have 4 3pt shooters on the court with a good post player, same with Indiana, same with Michigan. We have 2 3 pt shooters, this tends to make the defense sag and a lot of stuff doesn't work.

We don't screen, cut well, or feed the post. All areas of improvement, plus i say recruit forwards who can shoot.

Spot on.

With the amount of hacking refs allow, this is inevitable.

Yep, I like Dakich a lot but it's hard for me to hear him during every game say the refs call way too many fouls and then talk about how teams don't score enough. Can't have it both ways except with the most talented teams.

Top Bottom