Amelia blog: Gophers notes: Is Trevor Mbakwe getting enough touches?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From the blog:

On Elliott Eliason’s solid performance against Iowa, and how Smith can get more offensive production from him: “Just get to the offensive boards. Make his free throws when he gets a chance. Draw fouls, run the floor, like he did in the game against Nebraska, that’s where he’s going to score, he hit the jumper there against him. Trust me, we want him to score, but he understands what his role is and his job is to distribute the ball, he’s a good passer. We get a lot of open looks when he’s in the game, because he’s a willing passer, so I’d rather him do that than hunt for the shot.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/189933181.html

Go Gophers!!

Amelia, your lack of basketball knowledge is laughable. Tubby is trying to say in a nice manner that Eliason is not an offensive player. He can't post or shoot from outside with consistency. He can't run pick and roll because he can't catch and finish. If he wants to score, he has to get more offensive rebound putbacks and run the floor for open layups and dunks.

point of the article is...

Amelia, your lack of basketball knowledge is laughable. Tubby is trying to say in a nice manner that Eliason is not an offensive player. He can't post or shoot from outside with consistency. He can't run pick and roll because he can't catch and finish. If he wants to score, he has to get more offensive rebound putbacks and run the floor for open layups and dunks.

No Mbakwe is not getting enough touches. He can score and get fouled. We do not want him to get fustrated with not getting the ball and have it affect his rebounding, energy, and defense. I have seen Oto in limited minutes get Trevor the ball in the post and on some pick and rolls 10 feet from the basket. Maybe playing him a few minutes with Trevor would send a message.

In the half court offense, i think Dre is our best player to score, but I would put Trevor a close second. Rodney was in this conversation but he is struggling right now. Austin scores in the open court or on 3's. He doesnt create for himself. Good teams give Coleman room to shoot outside and shutdown the driving lanes.

Top Bottom