Next year's starters

I think those 5 will see the most minutes right now. I hope Mo can get in shape and Wally can contribute some minutes as well.

Dre, Austin, Joe, Oto, EE?

I think what you have listed is the start of the year lineup.

I'm going with Buggs over Oto by the start of the Big Ten season. More athletic, better shooter than Oto. He does need to hit the weights hard. I'm hoping Foster is a good rebounder and sees some time at the 4 also.

I have got to believe that we are going to bring in a JC power forward or spring big(Schilling?). We have 4 open scholarships and have signed 2, I know 2014 is huge but I don't think the coaches want to bank 2 even though the fans may want to. If it is a JC guy I sure hope he can challenge Oto next year. I have been impressed with EE's latest stretch and I am somewhat optimistic for his future.

I think Andre, Austin, Coleman, and EE are pretty much locks at this point. The last spot is wide open.

I can't see Oto starting in 2012-13, unless something dramatic happens between then and now.

PG - Dre Hollins
SG - Austin Hollins
SF - Joe Coleman
PF - Either Gavin Schilling or Kevin Thomas
C - Elliot Eliason
6th Man - Charles Buggs

I think the spot will be Oto's to lose personally...It's hard for me to see Tubby giving a true freshman or redshirt freshman the starting nod. Maybe things change if they do sign a JC player, but assuming they don't I think Oto starts early on and the young guys start later in the year if they play well...kind of like Andre last year with Welch.

I think the spot will be Oto's to lose personally...It's hard for me to see Tubby giving a true freshman or redshirt freshman the starting nod. Maybe things change if they do sign a JC player, but assuming they don't I think Oto starts early on and the young guys start later in the year if they play well...kind of like Andre last year with Welch.

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Dre was starting from game 1 until he had some injury issues. Then Tubby kinda slow played him back into the lineup. I don't think Tubby will have any problem starting a freshman if he's the best option for him.

Hollins
Hollins
Coleman
Schilling, or Thomas (expecting to sign one of these two)
EE

Bench: Oto, Mav, Buggs, Ellenson, Ellis, Foster, Big Mo

Probably a 6th or 7th place finish.....watching the bubble.

I think what you have listed is the start of the year lineup.

I'm going with Buggs over Oto by the start of the Big Ten season. More athletic, better shooter than Oto. He does need to hit the weights hard. I'm hoping Foster is a good rebounder and sees some time at the 4 also.

He'll get minutes in the rotation but I expect he'll have a lot to learn & B1G play won't be the place to do it. I think he'll be more like the player we all hoped Rodney could be. A long/athletic 3, not an undersized 4. The following excerpts from the recent Rodney/Buggs article speak volumes imo...

When Williams' Gophers career is over after this season, Buggs might be the player to take his place in time. At almost 6-foot-9, Buggs has ideal height for a power forward. But he's still considered undersized, at just 190 pounds. Williams, a 6-7, 210-pound starting power forward for the Gophers, has given Buggs advice on how to be effective inside against bigger and stronger opponents.

"I also help him out working with the post moves," Williams said. "When he was in high school, he really didn't play the post; he was a shooter. I just try my best helping him out, working in the post and just keeping him positive. He's a lot like I was my freshman year, letting little things get to me. So that's just what I'm trying to do with Buggs."

He'll get minutes in the rotation but I expect he'll have a lot to learn & B1G play won't be the place to do it. I think he'll be more like the player we all hoped Rodney could be. A long/athletic 3, not an undersized 4. The following excerpts from the recent Rodney/Buggs article speak volumes imo...

When Williams' Gophers career is over after this season, Buggs might be the player to take his place in time. At almost 6-foot-9, Buggs has ideal height for a power forward. But he's still considered undersized, at just 190 pounds. Williams, a 6-7, 210-pound starting power forward for the Gophers, has given Buggs advice on how to be effective inside against bigger and stronger opponents.

"I also help him out working with the post moves," Williams said. "When he was in high school, he really didn't play the post; he was a shooter. I just try my best helping him out, working in the post and just keeping him positive. He's a lot like I was my freshman year, letting little things get to me. So that's just what I'm trying to do with Buggs."

Why would Rodney be helping him with post moves if they didn't plan to use him at the 4? To me that bolded part makes it sound more like they want to use him at the 4 than the 3.

Why would Rodney be helping him with post moves if they didn't plan to use him at the 4? To me that bolded part makes it sound more like they want to use him at the 4 than the 3.

Well course they WANT him to have post moves! The point being that he's never even played the position until this year in practice. Therefore, expecting a player who's never played PF to be the starter, at 190lbs, over a guy who's rugged & will be in his 4th year in the system is illogical imo. We're thin at the 4, so I have no doubt (zero) that Buggs & Foster will see some minutes, but I'll be floored if he's the starter come B1G season.

Is Rodney a good post player?

If Oto is still on the team I will be disappointed.
X2 Oto can't play in the Big Ten. Can't shoot,rebound,defend or handle. Other than that he's great. Some might think that's dumb but if I had to bet I would say he transfers because he's told to.

Now is now and then was 3 months ago.

Is this... a ....weekda...?? What day is this???

Well, I've been told I live in the past. This is just empirical evidence.

Of course I meant 2013-2014, but I still haven't grasped that it's freaking 2013 already! Sigh.

PG - Dre Hollins
SG - Austin Hollins
SF - Joe Coleman
PF - Either Gavin Schilling or Kevin Thomas
C - Elliot Eliason
6th Man - Charles Buggs

This is how I hope it will play out. Foster will possibly be in the mix as well.

X2 Oto can't play in the Big Ten. Can't shoot,rebound,defend or handle. Other than that he's great. Some might think that's dumb but if I had to bet I would say he transfers because he's told to.

According to a former Gopher, and semi-recent transfer, Oto has been in contact asking about the transferring experience. I'm not entirely surprised, as I don't really see him getting a ton of minutes anytime in the future.

Though it is worth keeping in mind that this was a few months ago and things could have changed significantly since then.

Dre, Austin, Joe, Oto, EE?

You had me until Oto.

Any time someone mentions him as a starter it makes me wanna punch that person in the face. Watch him carefully... Analyze his game.

He literally has nothing to offer at this point in time. He is actually worse on the defensive end than on offense.

Gives up countless 3-pointers on defense
Has weak hands
Turns the ball over like there's no tommorrow
2-21 shooting 3s? That's supposedly the strong suit of his game.
Unenergized and emotionless

*You better pray to the lord that we get a transfer in here, or that Charles Buggs is ready to rock an roll. The lineup looks good otherwise.

Hollins
Hollins
Coleman
Schilling, or Thomas (expecting to sign one of these two)
EE

Bench: Oto, Mav, Buggs, Ellenson, Ellis, Foster, Big Mo

Probably a 6th or 7th place finish.....watching the bubble.

I agree with your starting lineup...but on the bolded part (emphasis mine)...

Call me a crazy homer optimist, but I like this team next year. College ball is all about the guard play, and we will have both skill and experience in spades. If EE can even be serviceable, which he has shown the last few games, and one of Schilling / Thomas / Buggs steps us I see us in the top 5 of the BIG and solidly in the tourney.

You'd think it wouldn't be THAT hard to get a relatively highly rated pf in this class since they'd be just about guaranteed huge minutes as a freshman.

Top Bottom