Updated RPI Numbers through Sunday

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Someone remind me, did the Gophers win or lose yesterday? Is there a bigger atrocity to college basketball than the Minnesota Gophers? (sarcasm alert)

GOPHERS RESUME SNAPSHOT
Record: 17-5, 5-4 B1G
RPI: #8
Overall SOS: 3
Nonconference SOS: #14
Record vs. RPI 1-50: 3-4
Record vs. RPI 51-100: 9-1
Road/Neutral Record: 5-4
Best 3 Wins: #13 MICHIGAN STATE, vs. #38 Memphis, @ #48 Illinois (total = 99)
Worst Loss: @ #86 Northwestern
Bad Losses (RPI 101+): 0

B1G in the RPI (includes future members)
#7. Michigan (19-2)
#8. GOPHERS (17-5)
#11 Indiana (20-2)
#13. Michigan State (17-4)
#17 Ohio State (17-4)
#41 Wisconsin (15-7)
#48 Illinois (14-8)
#64 Rutgers (12-8)
#71 Maryland (16-6)
#85 Nebraska (11-12)
#86 Northwestern (13-10)
#88 Iowa (14-8)
#135 Purdue (11-11)
#181 Penn State (8-13)

Gophers Nonconference Opponents
#1. Duke (19-2)
#38 Memphis (18-3)
#61 Florida State (12-9)
#65 North Dakota State (16-5)
#66 South Dakota State (15-6)
#67 Stanford (14-8)
#75 Richmond (14-9)
#97 Tennessee State (11-10)
#110. USC (9-13)
#180. Toledo (9-10)
#212 Lafayette (10-13)
#230. North Florida (8-15)
#259 American (8-14)

SS: "Someone remind me, did the Gophers win or lose yesterday? Is there a bigger atrocity to college basketball than the Minnesota Gophers? "

Don't get me started, SS, because I have numerous comments deleted by Admin when I call out the incessant bellyaching experts relating to anything Gophers.

Don't get me started, SS, because I have numerous comments deleted by Admin when I call out the incessant bellyaching experts relating to anything Gophers.

Are they deleted or do you just forget where you posted them?:)

Can we get another top-50 win in conference? My head says we probably go 1-3 the rest of the way (@ MSU, vs Wisc, @ OSU, vs Indiana - no dreams that Illinois stays top 50). That'd be 3-7 vs RPI top 50 at the end of the regular season. Hope we can steal another one and NDSU wins out to get to top 50 or something to help that number out.

There is the BTT too. We could get one or more RPI top 50 wins then. I have a hard time projecting this team any further than the next game. We've looked like a really good team at points, and less so at other times. I could see them winning 3 of those games, or lossing all of them. Next up MSU. We beat them once already, so that's a good thing!

Yes, they're still in good shape for a favorable seed; all is not lost. But they're seriously riding on their laurels right now and have no chance for serious glory playing like they've played lately. They have to get their mojo back and soon.

Illinois is ranked #51 at TeamRankings dot com's Overall Power Rating, #51 in the Sagarin Ratings and #56 in the Ken-Pom Ratings. A few weeks ago those rankings were worse and their RPI was much better, and I figured that over time their RPI would worsen and that their other ratings would improve, until all the rankings and ratings basically meet up, and they have basically all met up. Illinois has a very favorable schedule ahead of them, at least as far as for improving their RPI. A home game vs #1 ranked Indiana to start, followed up by road games vs Minnesota and Michigan, that will help their RPI even when they lose those games, and then 3 winnable home games vs PSU, Nebraska & Purdue, and those 3 are games Illinois has to win if there is any shot of them getting some of their mojo back. Their toughest game that they need to win to have any shot of getting back onto the NCAA tourney bubble is their road game vs NW.

Otherwise NDSU could move up into the Top 50, but with a lack of quality competition to play, its doubtful.

Florida St is probably the best bet to move up into the Top 50. There's an outside shot of Stanford moving up as well, but its probably not likely.

Basically, we may not get the help we need as far as our record vs Top 50 teams goes, from teams we've already beaten, so I'm thinking that we could go 0-4 vs those 4 teams as long as we don't lose any of the rest of our games, but that is just to get into the tourney.

If we want a decent seed, we're going to need to win at least 2 of those 4 games.

Top Bottom