Gophers catch a break at MSU?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Travis Trice is out indefinitely with another concussion, and Gary Harris is questionable for Wednesday with back spasms. Sparty would be ultra thin at the guard spot if neither can play. Russell Byrd (can't hit broad side of a barn) would be all they have off the bench at the guard position.

Beat State.

Well, I'd say if Gary Harris and Travis Trice are both indeed out on Wednesday, than my nod would go to the gophers.

If one of the 2 are back I'll go State..

Kearney 2.3 pts/gm Byrd 1.9 pts/gm only makes up for the 5.5 pts/gm of Travis. If Harris is out that's another 12.8 pts/gm missing.. Put Wetzel in and his 0.8 pts/gm and Michigan State is still missing 12 pts/gm they would have from Harris. Edge Gophers

Kearney 2.3 pts/gm Byrd 1.9 pts/gm only makes up for the 5.5 pts/gm of Travis. If Harris is out that's another 12.8 pts/gm missing.. Put Wetzel in and his 0.8 pts/gm and Michigan State is still missing 12 pts/gm they would have from Harris. Our missed FT's will make up for the rest of the 12 pts. Game still even.

Kearney transfered about a month ago.

Man, I hope you are right, playing on the road vs a highly ranked team the road team no matter who they are, needs as much help as they can get. A win over MSU, even if they are missing players, would look incredible on their RPI resume. The NCAA Selection Committee doesn't really have the time to keep track of every little injury, etc.. When a Duke loses one of its best players for many games, they take that into consideration, but when one or two players miss a game or two, they often don't take those things into account. A win over MSU on the road would easily make up for the loss to NW.

I think we catch a break...

and maybe even win in a dogfight. We have some gamers on this team. I'm looking forward to the game at Breslin, we are overdue.

Beat State.

If Harris and Trice are both out definitely helps the Gophers. Appling ran out of gas and was struggling towards the end of the first match-up (per his statement). Gophers need to step it up. Time for the we don't get no respect and it's us against the world speech. Need some attitude. Trevor - kick some butt.

I will certainly take any break we can get. I mean, we are Minnesota sports fans after all. We deserve a break once in a blue moon.

Big game this week. A couple wins next week and MN is back solidly in the top 10-15 teams in the country and their RPI will probably climb into the mid single digits. it would take a total collapse at that point to not secure a good seed in the NCAA tournament...

A win at MSU would be huge for the tone of the season, and would probably generate a lot of chatter...

MSU is one of our only 3 remaining chances to get a win against a currently ranked team. I think that is huge. There is a lot of perception that the team took a step backwards, and winning one or more of those games can show that we can steal beat the big boys even after our hiccup. Also, MSU is the only win we have so far against a currently ranked team, and we need more for our resume if we want a really good seed. This one would be huge.

Travis Trice is out indefinitely with another concussion, and Gary Harris is questionable for Wednesday with back spasms. Sparty would be ultra thin at the guard spot if neither can play. Russell Byrd (can't hit broad side of a barn) would be all they have off the bench at the guard position.

Beat State.

I was just talking to a Michigan State fan on the ESPN board for this game and I mentioned this. His reply: "Minnesota has more than a decent shot, but Trice hasn't been ruled out and Harris will likely play." For what that's worth.

I was just talking to a Michigan State fan on the ESPN board for this game and I mentioned this. His reply: "Minnesota has more than a decent shot, but Trice hasn't been ruled out and Harris will likely play." For what that's worth.

Interesting, we'll see how it plays out. Both are big losses individually. If both were out this would probably tilt to a game the Gophers "should" win.

From what I've heard I'd expect Harris will play. Trice, probably not. If neither play, our guards should work over and try to wear down Appling & Valentine as much as humanly possible. Especially Appling; he's their only PG if Trice isn't available.

Is TV Teddy doing this game too?:)

What really matters is: "is the game on national TV or not?" When it is, the officials tend to call even games. When it's just a BTN game, they favor the home team. At least that's what I've observed the last couple of seasons. There are exceptions, of course (e.g., Minn @ Indiana).

AP: Michigan State may have to lean on Valentine a lot if Harris, Trice are out against Minnesota

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&refer=y

Go Gophers!!

Even if just Trice is out, the Gophers need to press MSU nearly the whole game. Under Tubby, the Gophers always play better on both ends of the court when they are always running. And if MSU is down Trice, at least, the transition 3 would be much less of a threat, and they may be out a ball handler. Mbakwe will have to play big against Payne and Nix.

Nobody has won at Breslin this year and they might go undefeated at home. It would be nice if we can do to them what we did to IU last year and be the only team to win on they're home court.

If you had said Dawson or Appling were hurt, I might agree about the upset...but as long as Dawson and Appling are in the game, we will have problems. No matter who plays, I expect Izzo and company will grind out a victory. It probably won't be pretty...In fact, I expect an ugly game.

I noticed in their last 2 games, MSU has been playing their 3 bigs (Payne, Nix and Dawson) at the same time. I expect Tubby will have to counter with EE, Rodney and Trev on the court at the same time. Maybe lots of Ingram too....Let's hope EE can give us 15 good minutes without all the turnovers.

Beat State.

I think we can beat State (again). I have a feeling that we will play this one loose and all out- and that's when this team plays best. When they get tight and play not to lose a game they should win- that's when they have problems.

Minnesota has a very good chance in this game even with a full compliment of MSU players. I do think however the big difference for MSU since the first game of the Big Ten season is that Nix and Payne are playing better together and Dawson is getting healthier by the day. That said The golphers are very athletic and can run full court for 40 minuets....That scares me.

If you had said Dawson or Appling were hurt, I might agree about the upset...but as long as Dawson and Appling are in the game, we will have problems. No matter who plays, I expect Izzo and company will grind out a victory. It probably won't be pretty...In fact, I expect an ugly game.

I noticed in their last 2 games, MSU has been playing their 3 bigs (Payne, Nix and Dawson) at the same time. I expect Tubby will have to counter with EE, Rodney and Trev on the court at the same time. Maybe lots of Ingram too....Let's hope EE can give us 15 good minutes without all the turnovers.

I know you're banned but I've seen others post about Eliason's turnovers. You do realize EE is second best on the team with 21 minutes played for every turnovers, right? Austin Hollins is first at 23. Mbakwe is once every 13 minutes.

Eliason had one horrible game (Illinois I believe) when he had like 3 in 2 minutes. Other than that, I haven't really notice him having a turnover issue and it looks like the numbers back that up. But yeah we will most definitely need big minutes from him. I fear Nix and Payne kinda going off, and I think fouls will be an issue, so having EE able to give us quality minutes would be great.

I know you're banned but I've seen others post about Eliason's turnovers. You do realize EE is second best on the team with 21 minutes played for every turnovers, right? Austin Hollins is first at 23. Mbakwe is once every 13 minutes.

That's a pretty misleading stat. Nobody passes him the ball much either. That said EE is a valuable part of the team and played a great game against Iowa.

That's a pretty misleading stat. Nobody passes him the ball much either. That said EE is a valuable part of the team and played a great game against Iowa.

Not when you consider it includes other forwards/centers who don't touch the ball a ton in the flow of the offense. Just trying to point out that he's not the turnover machine some think he is.

Not when you consider it includes other forwards/centers who don't touch the ball a ton in the flow of the offense. Just trying to point out that he's not the turnover machine some think he is.

Eliason's turnover rate is second-worst on the team (Ahanmisi is the worst).

Top Bottom