Post game notes from Tubby, Rodney, Coleman, and Austin on his game winning shot

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are my post game notes, as always, not work for word, but as fast as I can go on my phone! The locker room seemed really upbeat after the game, which they needed going on the road to MSU.

Joe Coleman

They didn't do anything that surprised us, just rebounded better than expected

It's not our job to call the fouls so we just gotta play through it

You want to keep the momentum rolling, Iowa is a tough team, they've played their big teams closely

Maybe we were weren't as consistent today, more bowl watching

Austin Hollins

We were just trying to play solid defense, no fouls

I think it was really important, after bring swept by Iowa last year, this shows what kind of team we are.

No freak outs, everyone kept their composure.

The shot was there so I just took it. (on the last shot)

We were told to get the ball, we knew her knock down those fts if he did.

I wasn't worried about Rodney or myself having an off game, we go to practice everyday and work hard

Rodney Williams

Were getting that much closer to our goals on winning a big 10 title

The last play was supposed to go to Austin

After we looked for him the 1st time, it was just finding the open spot, and he found it

Austin, he's a hound on defense, he was contesting the 3's

Big confidence builder for us, hopefully we ca carry that onto MSU

Andre got us together at half court, he stepped in and made sure everyone was calm. He said we gotta get the stop, and worry about getting back on defense.

We knew they were a good rebounding team, didn't box out like we should have

(working on for MSU) Get back in transition, the most at practice.

Tubby Smith

• We're happy to get the win, our guys showed a lot of heart, a lot of toughness when things weren't going our way. Iowa was scrapping and clawing and out hustling us. We did what we had to do to win. Big shot by Austin. Joe in the 2nd half, made some really big plays there, making shots, getting the stops we needed. It's huge for us to get this type of win, and keep this momentum going.
• We were trying to get a shot for Austin or Dre coming out of bounds, and he was open, we were glad we found him open.
• We had one foot in the grave, but we were able to dig our way out and claw our way out. We made some ill advised TO's. I was really impressed with our guys, they way they recovered from that.
• Austin is our best defender, he's struggled offensively, but one of our better 3 point shooters. We needed every minute we got from Austin and Andre.
• This is a group that doesn't really panic, even when they threw the ball out of bounds. We still had the toughness and the poise.
• The execution was much better, no one took it upon themselves and tried to do it themselves.
• It is a little frustrating, I'd turn around and go - how could we not get those balls. We were going after balls with one hand instead of two hands. We were able to even it up rebounding wise.
• Joe did make some clutch shots there, he was struggling with rebounding. Joe gives you what he has, he's usually out manned at that position, 6'4" playing against guys 6'6" and bigger. You know what you're going to get out of Joe each time, he always gives you what he has.
• We have a lot more to learn, a lot more improvement. This is a good start. The last games have helped, even though they're ugly.
• Sid: You don't get that turnover, you don't win the game. Tubby: You're right.

"Sid: You don't get that turnover, you don't win the game. Tubby: You're right."

And people say Sid is over the hill. He was spot on right. So stick it, Sid haters.

"Sid: You don't get that turnover, you don't win the game. Tubby: You're right."

And people say Sid is over the hill. He was spot on right. So stick it, Sid haters.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Ummmm, yeah - except for the fact that your'e suppose to ask questions at a press conference, not make statement!

Ummmm, yeah - except for the fact that your'e suppose to ask questions at a press conference, not make statement!

Hey, at least it was related to the game and not something like "I like turtles."

Sid invented press conferences, so he can do what he wants!

Top Bottom