Tubby can thank Austin Hollins for saving his job

EG#9

Reaction score
What a pathetic performance by the Gophers at home. Completely out coached by Fran, this looked like the absolute end of the Tubby era (error?) and it still might be if things don't change. Did the Gophers look like they had seen a zone before? Why on earth did the Gophers play zone against a team that they are more athletic than? Giving up 3's (even to a poor shooting % wise team like Iowa) is never a good idea in college basketball. Even the last play of the game showed a major flaw in Tubby's coaching...4.3 seconds left and Iowa has to go full court and they get a decent look at a 3? You HAVE TO FOUL in that situation.

Iowa was much crisper and more efficient on O. Tubby's teams have no clue. If a drive lane is not open for a dunk they struggle. With a loss coming in east lansing, the season comes down to beating Illinois and wisky at home.

I thought we moved the ball very well in the zone at times. Part of the problem was we weren't hitting outside shots.

What a pathetic performance by the Gophers at home. Completely out coached by Fran, this looked like the absolute end of the Tubby era (error?) and it still might be if things don't change. Did the Gophers look like they had seen a zone before? Why on earth did the Gophers play zone against a team that they are more athletic than? Giving up 3's (even to a poor shooting % wise team like Iowa) is never a good idea in college basketball. Even the last play of the game showed a major flaw in Tubby's coaching...4.3 seconds left and Iowa has to go full court and they get a decent look at a 3? You HAVE TO FOUL in that situation.

If you ask a group of coaches that, you will get differing opinions.

I disagree with a lot of that. The point I do agree on is that we should not have been running a zone. However I thought we got much better looks against their zone then we did against NW. Finally got the ball into the high post and had someone running the baseline. When a team has dominated on the offensive glass for most of the game, giving them a point blank chance to try and tie it is not the best strategy. Almost all of their 3's came when someone curled around an illegal screen (never called all game) and had a wide open look. I didn't see one time when an Iowa player created his own three point make. I liked the no foul decision.

If you ask a group of coaches that, you will get differing opinions.

Yeah. I've seen the situation a couple times recently, seems to be 50/50. To me, it depends on how much time is left. If > 7 I'd foul. < 3 not. In between it's iffy.

Should of got the 50/50 balls wonder how many second chance points they had.

Are you f***ing serious? We are halfway through the Big Ten season and the Gophers are ranked, are projected to be a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament, and have more Top 100 RPI wins than almost every team in the country. When was the last time you could say something similar about the Gophers' basketball team at this point in the year? This is arguably Tubby's most talented team and is inarguably the most drama and injury-free year he has had, and the results show it. Yet for some reason here you are saying we need a new coach. Get a grip man.

Are you f***ing serious? We are halfway through the Big Ten season and the Gophers are ranked, are projected to be a 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament, and have more Top 100 RPI wins than almost every team in the country. When was the last time you could say something similar about the Gophers' basketball team at this point in the year? This is arguably Tubby's most talented team and is inarguably the most drama and injury-free year he has had, and the results show it. Yet for some reason here you are saying we need a new coach. Get a grip man.

QFT

Thank you for being logical. It was a bad game. Yet we won.

Let's have higher standards than 'more than anyone could ask for.' There's more than enough talent that fans should ask for more than a 5-4 conference record.

You obviously can't see that the sky is falling all around us. I'm not sure how we're going to survive. Sure, we're winning, but what good is that when the sky is determined to drop on ours heads any second?

This is a no excuses, higher standards season. A 5-4 record with losses against Wisconsin and NU teams that have less talent than usual and a very lucky win at home against an average Iowa team in year six of Tubby's tenure shouldn't be good enough.

This is a no excuses, higher standards season. A 5-4 record with losses against Wisconsin and NU teams that have less talent than usual and a very lucky win at home against an average Iowa team in year six of Tubby's tenure shouldn't be good enough.

And if we were to fire him, what is your fool proof plan to rise our program with a team that will never be upset or lose a game on the road?

I'll reserve final judgment on where we are at in year six of Tubby's tenure til we see how we do in postseason in year six of Tubby's tenure.

I don't believe in lucky wins or unlucky losses. In competitive sports, you get what you earn, and today we earned a win against Iowa. Was it a good enough performance to get a win against MSU in East Lansing? Probably not. But we weren't playing MSU in East Lansing, we needed to play just good enough to beat Iowa at the barn and that's what we did.

I am with you on the losses against Wisco and NU being bad, if we lose in the first round, I will not hesitate to point out that we could have had an easier matchup if we hadn't thrown away those winnable games.

And if we were to fire him, what is your fool proof plan to rise our program with a team that will never be upset or lose a game on the road?

Get coach K, obviously. How are you people not figuring this out?

If you're going to term today's win "very lucky" will you at least also admit that the loss @ Wisconsin was unlucky, making it a wash? You can't have it both ways

+1

I thought two inspired plays on in bounds situations saved his job, or something. Oh right, we never score in those situations.

If you're going to term today's win "very lucky" will you at least also admit that the loss @ Wisconsin was unlucky, making it a wash? You can't have it both ways

There is only truly awful team in the B1G, PSU. Nebraska is also pretty bad. Teams 3-10 can all knock each other off on a given night. People keep acting like the games against NW and Iowa are crimes against basketball. Are Northwestern or Iowa great? No. Are they historically inept teams that we should never, ever lose to? No. It's still very damaging to lose home games, but we didn't and that's all that matters.

Oh, you absolutely can. Just like when we win, it's because of this or that player. When we lose, it's all Tubby's fault.

I thought two inspired plays on in bounds situations saved his job, or something. Oh right, we never score in those situations.

+1

Two great in-bounds plays today late in the game. The "one second on the shot clock" timeout followed up by a wide open Coleman for the jumper and of course the timeout that led to the Hollins 3. Great to see the drawn up plays work so well in clutch times.

Go Gophers!!

+1

Two great in-bounds plays today late in the game. The "one second on the shot clock" timeout followed up by a wide open Coleman for the jumper and of course the timeout that led to the Hollins 3. Great to see the drawn up plays work so well in clutch times.

Go Gophers!!

No way. That was all about the players. The players made it happen and Tubby had nothing to do with it. But when we don't have a good inbounds play, it's all Tubby's fault.

mattw- you must not have a TV or tickets. Yes you are right - no one should be discussing firing Tubby. But his offense LOOKS hideous. This is just not a well coached team. Thankfully we have a lot of talent on this team and that is indeed a credit to Tubby. If you saw today's game know that Iowa just looked better, got more open shots and played with better pace and movement. We had the better players and the Barn advantage.

mattw- you must not have a TV or tickets. Yes you are right - no one should be discussing firing Tubby. But his offense LOOKS hideous. This is just not a well coached team. Thankfully we have a lot of talent on this team and that is indeed a credit to Tubby. If you saw today's game know that Iowa just looked better, got more open shots and played with better pace and movement. We had the better players and the Barn advantage.

I feel like we had our fair share of open shots as well, but just couldn't knock them down. On the other hand, Iowa shot better from behind the arc than usual, whereas we shot below our average. But I do agree about Tubby's offense. I'm not sure if it's the offense itself, or just players becoming stagnant while waiting for somebody to make a play, but we definitely need to become more consistent on the offensive side.

In the end, although I find myself turning the channel more in frustration, I am still impressed that we won this game. I'm used to us losing games like this, so the fact that we pulled out the W still says a lot about the toughness of this team. I mean, the fact that Coleman had that HORRENDOUS turnover towards the end of regulation and we didn't hang our heads is pretty impressive. I'm confident that we'll have a solid outing at Michigan St.

Austin played great and made the big shot. Too bad it required that kind of shot from the gophers to hold off an inferior team.

How are you determining that we aren't a well coached team? Do we have to shoot 80% from the field to be "well coached?" We lost to wisky because we shot 32% from the field. Is that coaching or bad shooting? I could go on and on but I will let you give vague responses regarding how poorly coached we are when you have no clue what you're talking about

The loss at Indiana was IMO the "unlucky" loss. We very easily could have won that game. Although, the home cooking likely would have given the game to the hoosiers not matter how well we executed or how badly they executed. That game changed our season.

How are you determining that we aren't a well coached team? Do we have to shoot 80% from the field to be "well coached?" We lost to wisky because we shot 32% from the field. Is that coaching or bad shooting? I could go on and on but I will let you give vague responses regarding how poorly coached we are when you have no clue what you're talking about

I may well have no clue but I have a ton of company. There is a lot of concern among the fans in the Barn and it's not over lack of talent.

Top Bottom