Great good luck!

minimax

Reaction score
Got tickets to see the Gophers play Herky on Sunday.

Although I am by all rights a Minnesotan and a U of MN grad, I have lived for the past 20 years in Iowa.

The really cool thing is that despite his having been born and raised here, my 16 year old son is a true Gopher fan. You can't believe the amount of maroon and gold that goes through the wash at our house. I'm not saying that it's good parenting or anything other than dumb luck, but to have a son that's a Gopher fan in Iowa is pretty amazing.

We always go see the Gophs when they play at Carver-Hawkeye, but this will be our first trip up to the Barn and I personally haven't been to a game there in probably 20 years.

My request is to see if anyone can recommend a great thing for a 16 year old boy and his old man to do on or around campus on Sat afternoon, or anything on Sunday morning pre-game (guessing that options will be limited then).

Not looking for a full (and bar driven) agenda like that Illinois guy got a few weeks ago, but anything age-appropriate and something that would show off the campus or sports facilities would be great.

We are gonna do Al's for sure.

If you haven't been through the McNamara Alumni Center, it's worth a spin on your way to the arena.

This is going to be difficult for me and the crowd here in general :). I have two teenagers, but neither of them are very sporty. Is your son starting to think about what college he wants to attend? If so, take him around the campus, stop in at Coffman Union on Saturday and check out the Weismann art museum (the Frank Gehry designed building right by Coffman).

What kind of food does he/you like? There have been a lot of good changes to the restaurant scene here since you last visited.

Since the weather will be pretty cold, maybe some other museums, or a movie? Ice skating?

Nokomis, Thanks, Is there anything going on at Coffman on Sat. Yes, he's starting to think about college. He's a 16 year old boy - he'll eat anything/everything. We've been to the Weismann. It's pretty cool.

Nokomis . . . I lived for a good while at 48th and Chicago. Nice memories of the parkway / lake run.

Well, if you want to show him that old hood (it's a good one), there is a new brew pub at 48th and Chicago that has pretty good food. Actually there has been an explosion of little mini breweries all over the Twin Cities. Some of them serve food.

What about taking him to Matt's for a Jucy Lucy? That is pretty unique and when I bring people from out of town to Matt's it's always pretty fun. It's at 35th and Cedar. If he likes Big Ten bball, I am sure you guys will want to be somewhere to watch the Michigan versus Indiana game that is at 8pm on Saturday.

Here's a link to Coffman's event schedule. Looks pretty lame for Saturday though. http://sua.umn.edu/events/calendar/date/02/02/2013

Burn an hour on Saturday by taking him through the Golden Gopher Hall of Fame at TCF Bank Stadium. It is open for only a few hours on Saturdays, so make sure you time it right. I think he'd like it.

http://www.gophersports.com/trads/hall-fame.html

UTFQZKIMVJKMCIW.20100902160035.jpg

You could also take him over to Ridder Arena to watch one of the best hockey teams in the history of the sport. The Gopher women are 26-0 this year and ranked No. 1. They host #10 Minnesota-Duluth at 2:30pm on Saturday.

ridder_in.jpg

Badgopher, FTB, Nokomis, Tjg,

Thanks all. Great ideas

For lunch or dinner on Saturday, I recommend the Big Ten in Stadium Village. Usually too busy before the game to get a table. Order the Assorted Sub with a side of cheese curds. You're welcome!!

Maybe also take a drive thru downtown, Uptown and the lakes areas to kill time. WHere are you staying? That could determine where to eat.

Top Bottom