Doogie on Shaka Smart to Minnesota

station19

Reaction score
Doogie just mentioned on espn1500 that if Tubby were to go to say USC or be let go, there is no doubt in his mind that Shaka Smart would be here. He didn't say 'after this year' but I assume that is what he meant.

He also mentioned that Shaka checked out the AAU circuit around Chicago and found out they were corrupt......and that is why he turned down Illinois.

I would say that is an interesting comment.

I listened to that segment too. He has had this belief for a while and he never has any substance to it. It is just his opinion.

I listened to that segment too. He has had this belief for a while and he never has any substance to it. It is just his opinion.

Just as he said 'there is no doubt in his mind'.

Still a pretty strong public statement, even from Doogie.

Even if they are corrupt there still enough talent in Chicago, the surrounding suburbs and St.Louis for that matter for Illinois to build a winner, I know people play the Norwood angle with Shaka, but post Tubby we are not getting a top flight coach unless shovels are in the ground for a practice facility

It's a far cry from being a likelihood or even a strong possibility, but you cannot poo poo this. It's logical on its face. For Smart, Norwood is a known commodity as a boss; for Norwood, Smart is a known commodity as an employee. There's a fit there.

At the same time, as I've said before, if Teague can find a Shaka Smart, he can find other young coaching talent should the need for that sort of thing ever arise :rolleyes:.

Doogie mentioned the connection with both Teague and Mike Ellis.

Doogie also mentioned that if Tubby were to leave for usc(or another school) he would have to pay the 2.5 mill buyout. I heard the same from another media person recently.

This contradicts GW's answer to my question a couple of days ago. Can GW or anyone reaffirm this?

He also mentioned that Shaka checked out the AAU circuit around Chicago and found out they were corrupt......and that is why he turned down Illinois.

Corrupt how?

Doogie just mentioned on espn1500 that if Tubby were to go to say USC or be let go, there is no doubt in his mind that Shaka Smart would be here. He didn't say 'after this year' but I assume that is what he meant.

regarding the AAU corruptness- I have heard that before regarding Chicago and the Illinois job -- but how do we feel about that AAU corruptness angle now that Tubby has two Chicago kids coming in next year? Are we a program that can recruit there and not be corrupt but at Illinois you can't?

Doogie just tweeted and wanted this to be noted:

Just make sure you point out that I think with the buyout there's a far better chance Tubby stays (with staff changes expected).

Doogie just tweeted and wanted this to be noted:

Just make sure you point out that I think with the buyout there's a far better chance Tubby stays (with staff changes expected).

Doogie did state that during the segment. I probably should have said that.

Doogie mentioned the connection with both Teague and Mike Ellis.

Doogie also mentioned that if Tubby were to leave for usc(or another school) he would have to pay the 2.5 mill buyout. I heard the same from another media person recently.

This contradicts GW's answer to my question a couple of days ago. Can GW or anyone reaffirm this?

I can reaffirm that no amounts would be due from Smith to the U should he decide to leave.

If Minnesota terminated Smith, they would owe him a $2.5m buyout. There are key asterisks to this amount that are both relevant - I'll explain more when I've got a bit more time.

Intriguing news about Shaka. I think he would not only be the best coach in our program's history. Would definiately enhance our chances of keeping 2 or all 3 of the 2014 kids home.

I would hope the U could do better then Shaka Zulu or whatever his name is if something happened with Tubby.

Doogie has diarrhea of the mouth. He's just throwing stuff against the wall at this point.

I would hope the U could do better then Shaka Zulu or whatever his name is if something happened with Tubby.

I'm not all in sold on Shaka myself, but I don't think you could do much "better" than nabbing Shaka Smart for the vast majority of programs in the country. Who would reasonably be a better pickup than him?

I'm not all in sold on Shaka myself, but I don't think you could do much "better" than nabbing Shaka Smart for the vast majority of programs in the country. Who would reasonably be a better pickup than him?

Bingo. This is why Norwood Teague is gonna earn his bucks for when the time comes in Teague's tenure that he is gonna haffta make some big time decisions on coaches, be it Football, Basketball, Rowing, or Soccer, et al. We get free comments, he has long term decisions to make. I'd rather be in my shoes, than his.

He & his cronies have have an agenda against Tubby & have since the day he was hired. That's why he jumps at the opportunity to ask high ranking U officials about firing Tubby after every loss & has been lobbying for Shaka Smart for literally years now.

Bingo. This is why Norwood Teague is gonna earn his bucks for when the time comes in Teague's tenure that he is gonna haffta make some big time decisions on coaches, be it Football, Basketball, Rowing, or Soccer, et al. We get free comments, he has long term decisions to make. I'd rather be in my shoes, than his.

If I could have his salary and remain in my shoes, I'd agree with you.

Doogie says a lot of things that make sense. He also says a lot of things that don't make sense. So I struggle trying to make sense out of nonsense.

One could argue that Monson was the Shaka Smart of his day after taking Gonzaga on that run, with that said, Smart will get his chance if he ever wants to leave VCU

I've heard some of the media(Reusse, Souhan, Doogie???) state Teague already knows whether Smart would be interested in the Gopher job if were to open......which makes perfect sense.

why would it open did they not just extend Tubbys contract? Smart may or may not have interest in a job that may or may not become available(not Likely) adds up to total nonsense

why would it open did they not just extend Tubbys contract? Smart may or may not have interest in a job that may or may not become available(not Likely) adds up to total nonsense

The job will definitely open, it's just a matter of when.

The chance of the former is 100%. The chance of the latter is very questionable.

I disagree with you...I will die by being shot by a jealous husband when I am 99 years old.

Top Bottom