Star Tribune All Metro Team

UWOle

Reaction score
Mike Bruesewitz - Player of the Year
Royce White
Raymond Cowles
Sam Dower
Rodney Williams

Trent Lockett and Mike Broghammer both made the second team, amazing that one shcool has four of the top seven or eight players in the metro. I would love to see someone (Sibley would be my preference) knock off Hopkins, but I just don't see it happening. Too many talent one through nine or ten for Hopkins.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/41716892.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUeyD8_o8cyaiUiacyKUUr

Hmmmm.....

;)
Mike Bruesewitz - Player of the Year
Royce White
Raymond Cowles
Sam Dower
Rodney Williams

Trent Lockett and Mike Broghammer both made the second team, amazing that one shcool has four of the top seven or eight players in the metro. I would love to see someone (Sibley would be my preference) knock off Hopkins, but I just don't see it happening. Too many talent one through nine or ten for Hopkins.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/41716892.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUeyD8_o8cyaiUiacyKUUr

Royce White and Rodney Williams are supposed to be the saviors of the Gopher program and according to some are both future NBA lottery picks yet a Becky recruit is the POY?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

I don't think Mr. Breweskoviwiczvich will be Mr. Basketball ;)

I look at it like Bruesewitz is the most valuable person on his team. Royce and Rodney are more talented players, but also have more talent surrounding them on each of their squads.

Exactly. Player of the year often goes to a player who is absolutely essential to his team. Take Royce White away from Hopkins and they would still be incredible. I wouldn't say the same from Bruesewitz and Sibley.

I think Dower doesn't get the credit he deserves. No one considered him a legit candidate for metro player of the year or mentions him as a possible Mr. Basketball. He's had a monster season and Osseo knocked Cooper.

Surrounding players

Royce White's stats are certainly affected by the players' around him, especially given Hopkins 4 players on the top two metro teams, but there's really nothing pointing to Cooper being a better team than Sibley. Sibley beat better teams, beat the team that Cooper just lost to, lost to Hopkins by fewer points, beat common teams worse, is ranked #2 in the state, and is still playing in the tournament.

I would buy, however, that he got it for being the most valuable player on a better team.

I look at it like Bruesewitz is the most valuable person on his team. Royce and Rodney are more talented players, but also have more talent surrounding them on each of their squads.

I hate this state's media. I don't give a smuck, if I was making that list there is NO WAY I'd give a Becky recruit POY unless it was absolutely clear he was the best player in the state.

Bruesewitz is a very good player, but come on. Royce White is definitely the best player in the state.

If anyone at the Star Trib watched at least 1 high school basketball game this season they'd know that.

I think it should have gone to Dower. 25 points and 12 rebounds per game for a 27-2 team headed to state in 4A? I'm thinking that a couple years down the road we might have wished we had another scholarship to offer Dower.

Dower and Bruesewitz are two players I don't think I'll be able to hate in the future. As much as I despise Wisconsin, the fact that we didn't offer Bruesewitz makes his decision to attend Wisconsin null (Leuer as well--I know the offer was there but Hoffarber took it first). I find it much easier to dislike a kid like Jordan Taylor.

I'm thinking that a couple years down the road we might have wished we had another scholarship to offer Dower.

We did offer Dower. He turned us down for Gonzaga. It was only after Dower spurned us that he offered Mbakwe.

Dower had an offer from Tubby but chose Gonzaga. Monson belatedly found a way to offer Leuer when he was unable to convince him to walk on as a frosh and convert to scholarship his second year. Leuer felt slighted by the original walk on/2nd year scholarship offer and chose Wisconsin instead. The open scholarship then went to Hoffarber who turned down an offer from Notre Dame. Another reason to love this kid. Tubby decided not to offer Bruesewitz because he had Royce on board. Wisconsin chose to offer Bruesewitz rather than Madison prep star Maymon. They love him. I expect him to be a thorn in the side to the Gophers.

Dower had an offer from Tubby but chose Gonzaga. Monson belatedly found a way to offer Leuer when he was unable to convince him to walk on as a frosh and convert to scholarship his second year. Leuer felt slighted by the original walk on/2nd year scholarship offer and chose Wisconsin instead. The open scholarship then went to Hoffarber who turned down an offer from Notre Dame. Another reason to love this kid. Tubby decided not to offer Bruesewitz because he had Royce on board. Wisconsin chose to offer Bruesewitz rather than Madison prep star Maymon. They love him. I expect him to be a thorn in the side to the Gophers.

Maymon was named WI Mr Basketball last week. Marquette is happy to get him.

Dower came a long way in one year. I don't know how his game will translate to the next level, where he won't physically dominate like he did this year. Is he really 6'9?

I don't know how his game will translate to the next level, where he won't physically dominate like he did this year.

This question is a large part of why he was not #1 or #2 on the Minnesota wish list when it came to recruiting that spot. IIRC, it was after Fitzgerald signed elsewhere that Coach Smith and the staff really started to look into a serious offer for Dower.

My understanding is that there is significant high school coach input on all of the Star Tribune's All-Metro teams.

are you guys serious?? not giving a POY award to someone just because he will be attending becky?? that is stupid. give it to the most derserving player regardless of where he goes. congrats mike. please dont make us all regret you slipping away to that awful bordering state.

I heard Patrick Reusse on the radio saying how they put two Hopkins players on the second team because they didn't think it would look very good if they had four players from one school on the all-metro team. He also said once that Hopkins is the one school where they should announce the player's hometowns when they do introductions, which I thought was a pretty good line.

It's like the Yankees, people always like to see the big teams get taken down but you're right, it might not happen with Hopkins.

This reminds me of one......

my old gray pappy's favorite lines...

"If Hopkins loses this week, I'll walk down Wabasha naked and give you a half hour to draw a crowd."

I think alot of schools wouldn't want kids homtowns announced at introductions, People would be very suprised just how many kids around the metro aren't from the city in which they play high school ball.

Bruesewitz is a good choice for Player of the Year although Dower had a pretty good case as well. Everyone knew Hopkins would cancel each other out and that will probabaly happen in Mr. basketball as well. Not that big of a deal. Rodney had a disappointing season and has alot of work to do before he's ready to compete in the Big Ten. I think most know that Royce is the most talented kid in the state.

Dower will be a nice player for Gonzaga but Trevor will be a much better choice for Minnesota and fill a big need next year. Even though MN did eventually offer Sam, it was way too late and I don't think they ever really wanted him and I think it was easy for Sam to see that, where at gonzaga they gave him the full court press all summer. That was a weird recruitment.

Bruesewitz was just a simple case of MN having Royce. He will do well in Buckyville.

Bruesewitz was also named Gatorade Player of the Year in Minnesota. Kind of an odd choice in Wisconsin, as Loyola-bound big man Ben Averkamp from Germantown was given the award ahead of Jeronne Maymon and Jamil Wilson.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/850158.html

Bruesewitz was also named Gatorade Player of the Year in Minnesota. Kind of an odd choice in Wisconsin, as Loyola-bound big man Ben Averkamp from Germantown was given the award ahead of Jeronne Maymon and Jamil Wilson.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/850158.html

That is an odd choice for Whisky!!!:eek: Did Averkamp really have that good of a season compared to the other two?? Also, do you happen to know what the criteria is for these awards?? Might help explain it a little more.

Thanks in advance :)

I missed this part the first time:

"Since 1985, The Gatorade Company, has recognized high school athletes in various sports, based on athletic and academic achievements."

Jeronne Maymon is reportedly struggling to qualify. Though I have never heard of Jamil Wilson having difficulty qualifying, I don't think he's the best student. Averkamp is a nice player, recently named first team all state, but he did not have as good a season as Maymon or Wilson. Given that, one would guess he is a very good student.

Top Bottom