THIS DAY IN GOPHER HISTORY- JANUARY 19, 1980

Nomellini

Reaction score
MINNESOTA 67 #11 PURDUE 61
Darryl Mitchell hits 2 free throws in with 20 seconds left to put Gophers up 65-61.Purdue gets 23 points from a 7' center who will go on to be the #1 pick of the entire NBA draft after his senior season. Can you name him? He will score over 14,000 points in a long career.

The correct answers to the previous questions were Ralph Sampson,Ollie Shannon and Keith Taylor

Leo and others: Joe Barry Caroll was the first pick in the 1980 draft. Kevin McHale was the 3rd pick in the
draft. Can you name the second pick in the 1980 draft. He had an awesome nickname.

Doc - More awesome than Walt "No Neck" Williams?

Leo and others: Joe Barry Caroll was the first pick in the 1980 draft. Kevin McHale was the 3rd pick in the
draft. Can you name the second pick in the 1980 draft. He had an awesome nickname.

Darrel Griffith of Louisville. He played in the Barn a couple of years earlier on a Sunday afternoon game on national TV. The Gophers won that game, loudest game I was ever at. His nickname was Dr. Dunkenstein.

Leo and Lincoln: I was at the Louisville game. It was either Bill Duffy or Bill Harmon that had a big game off the bench. We lost to Louisville in the second round of 1982 NCAA tourney. Do you remember Pancho Wright and
the McCray brothers Rodney and Scooter.

Leo and Lincoln: I was at the Louisville game. It was either Bill Duffy or Bill Harmon that had a big game off the bench. We lost to Louisville in the second round of 1982 NCAA tourney. Do you remember Pancho Wright and
the McCray brothers Rodney and Scooter.

I think is was Duffy. I became fairly good friends with Duffy and Chris Engler, also knew Dave Winey quite well. I think McHale was named player of the game against Louisville. I do remember the McCray Brothers.

Top Bottom