FB rant from a long-time fan

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
A friend of mine posted this on FB last night after the game.

"Mixed emotions at The Barn tonight. 1) So nice to be there with my dad. Great memories of sitting next to him through the Willie Burton years, the Randy Carter years, the Bobby Jackson years, the Quincy Lewis years... He doesn't quite give it to the refs the way he used to, but a baseline outrage and homerism remain intact 2) So nice to see The Gophers put up a W 3) So sad to see a great sports venue become more average by inviting the sort of constant barrage of sponsored tosses, tweets, texts and horrible music that characterizes most professional sporting events. College sports seems intent on trying to make itself in the exact, poisonous image of professional sports. And it is yucky.

"What do I long for? Well, of course I long for more pep band marching songs. I long for improvised antics. I long for unmediated creativity. And please no more of that horrible song they play before every kick off, and tip off. Of course there's no going back... so I will go to Ridder Arena and watch women's hockey, which retains the spirit and feel of amateurism that is missing at Williams and *gag* TCF Bank Stadium. On the other hand... if you have a ticket I might be able to make an exception. Sorry to be a pill."

Ridder Arena plays the same music (less metal, more pop) as the Wild at the X and now has its own video board chock full of promotions.

If he thinks the "feel" at Gopher games is similar to timberwolves games

1. he doesn't go to many gopher games
2. he doesn't go to many timberwolves games

Dubay thinks college bb should adopt the 24 second clock.

WTF........NBA SUCKS

In a timeout during the second half of the Nebraska game, the band struck up Malaguena, and I was thinking, how long has it been since I heard them play that during a game? Back in the day, we used to hear the pep band's best tunes at practically every game, but now it's a rarity. Anyways, I was just in a happy place listening to that selection, and they interrupt and cut it short because they had to do some Outback Steakhouse BS on the scoreboard before they inbounded the ball.:mad::(

In a timeout during the second half of the Nebraska game, the band struck up Malaguena, and I was thinking, how long has it been since I heard them play that during a game? Back in the day, we used to hear the pep band's best tunes at practically every game, but now it's a rarity. Anyways, I was just in a happy place listening to that selection, and they interrupt and cut it short because they had to do some Outback Steakhouse BS on the scoreboard before they inbounded the ball.:mad::(

At first glance I though your post was an ad for mastercard.

I'm with you BadGopher. I'd rather hear more of the band at all games.

Dubay thinks college bb should adopt the 24 second clock.

How about just adopting the women's shot clock? 30 seconds. Certainly, the men should be able to keep pace with the women's game.

How about just adopting the women's shot clock? 30 seconds. Certainly, the men should be able to keep pace with the women's game.

30 would be way better than 24, but I would still stay with 35....I'm afraid they will go to 24 eventually and I would like to slow that process as long as possible.

The contrasting 'styles of play' is one of the intriguing aspects of college bb. The nba becomes a one on one game....run and shoot. Yes some of those Wisky and NW games can get ugly.

This guy on FB is kind of a loser. When you go to a game you go for the game. Everyone has a different preference of what they want to see and experience in addition to the actual game. No one is ever going to have everything exactly the way they like it. There's no need to whine like a little bitch about the "good 'ole days" like the game of basketball will never be the same. How old is this guy? My guess is like 45 to 50 and his dad is 70-80.

I have to say, I agree with the dude. One of the reason the fan atmosphere isn't quite as good as it used to be is that the constant interruptions to do commercials gets irritating. We used to hear "Vehicle," "Malaguena," "Superstition," "Jungle Boogie" and all that stuff on a regular basis. Now it's a once in awhile treat.

I still miss the player entrance to the flags and rouser rather than the video melange before our player introductions - its getting old, old and old...

The alternative is to stop all these promotions and just charge more for tickets. Either way, people are going to complain.

I understand what the person is saying, but times change.

The alternative is to stop all these promotions and just charge more for tickets. Either way, people are going to complain.

I would strongly suggest they do everything possible to separate the college game and game day atmosphere from the NBA.

Not necessarily. If you make the college game experience unique and enjoyable, more people ought to buy tickets. That's the wrong turn the U has made.

If you don't like the in game promotions you should call the Marketing Department and pay to sponsor all of the timeouts. Instead of running an ad or doing a giveaway you could tell them you want the band to play. They would probably even let you pick the songs.

Problem solved.

I'd be curious how much income there is from these in-game promos.

They have to be a whole lot less than tv or radio over the air ads.

If you don't like the in game promotions you should call the Marketing Department and pay to sponsor all of the timeouts. Instead of running an ad or doing a giveaway you could tell them you want the band to play. They would probably even let you pick the songs.

Problem solved.

Or they can just watch the game on TV and listen to the marching band songs on iTunes during the commercials.

Not necessarily. If you make the college game experience unique and enjoyable, more people ought to buy tickets. That's the wrong turn the U has made.

While I don't disagree, the thing that affects attendance the most is winning and losing. I just don't think eliminating a few promotions and/or playing different songs is going to get 500 or 1,000 more fans to come.

I wish I could walk uphill to school both ways still......

these times are a changing, Women's hockey welcomes you with open arms.

Not all change is good.

Agreed

But not all change is negotiable. Some of the stuff we are complaining about is inevitable and methods to keep the product on the court and relevant in the eyes of our younger viewers. Swallow the pill and realize the product on the court is still to an extent, an amateur production of our great University of Minnesota.

I know what he's getting after, but Gopher Football and Bball are still so much enjoyable to me than Vikings and Twolves.

I actually thought his post was spot on.

It made me think about all of the complaining about the "blue hairs" that is done on this board, and how I really don't feel the make up of the fans has changed as much as some think.

What has changed over time:
- The number of available seats, and therefore the number of fans
- What happens during timeouts

Used to be we'd have a timeout called and the band would launch right into a number that would go right up to the whistle. Now, we get Dick talking over the PA to call everyone's attention to watch a fake computer-generated race between Goldy and a box of fries.

I remember back when time outs started to be more about the commercials than the band and the atmosphere. For a while, there was confusion between Dick and the band. It was hilarious to watch him start to talk as they'd launch into a song and see how furious he'd get.

Could not agree more. Would speed up the game just a little bit, but not like the NBA. I've been hoping for this for awhile. Plus, maybe it messes with the Badger slow down style and makes them less effective. I'm all for this side-effect to this rule change.

Agreed

But not all change is negotiable. Some of the stuff we are complaining about is inevitable and methods to keep the product on the court and relevant in the eyes of our younger viewers. Swallow the pill and realize the product on the court is still to an extent, an amateur production of our great University of Minnesota.

Are the in-game promos and piped in music(vs the pep band) really more 'relevant in the eyes of our younger viewers'?

Should much of the music change over the years? Of course.

Could not agree more. Would speed up the game just a little bit, but not like the NBA. I've been hoping for this for awhile. Plus, maybe it messes with the Badger slow down style and makes them less effective. I'm all for this side-effect to this rule change.

Yes, this.

I have a better idea.

Bo likes to be different(note his team is the only D1 team that uses the Sterling basketball).

Why not just make wisconsin use the 24 second clock?.......maybe northwestern

Top Bottom