Offense

Gopher73

Reaction score
I'm watching WVU vs. KU. Lots of standing around and not much movement. As a result, contested shots and a poor shooting percentage. Their crowd has been taken out of the game. Sounds familiar doesn't it? I also watched the Pitt vs. Louisville game. Both teams were aggressive in their cuts and lots of movement on offense. Maybe our coaching staff should show the Pitt-Louisville game films instead of watching ours. Oh, one more observation...inbounds plays. The announcer just stated, "I'm not a big fan of the pass to center court with helium in it". That was the same WVU inbounds play that the Gophers use regularly. C'MON...give me and all of the other Gopher fans something to cheer about. Be aggressive and play with some urgency from the opening tip until the final buzzer.

Coach Huggins told it like it is about "standing around" and "possessions when we are active and possessions when we are not active." Sounds familiar.

definition of urgency - pressing importance requiring speedy action.
Little movement on offense does not fit into the definition. We're not active on offense especially without the ball. Pace of offense needs to improve with more and better screens and active cuts off of those screens. The urgency piece is very correctable. C'MON Tubby...correct it. Get 'em moving. Run Rodney off of multiple screens. Get him moving. The one screen up high doesn't cut it. Our stand around offense is what makes the NW 1-3-1 look world class.

From Amella's column----I like it!!!:
Trevor Mbakwe said the coaching staff has placed a higher priority on screening in the half-court offense during the last few practices. The Gophers have struggled substantially in the half-court for the last several games, and have often looked stagnant. “Coach has been emphasizing screening more, everybody screening, guards screen for bigs, big screen for guards,” he said.

Top Bottom