ESPN Analyst Dan Dakich: U Not Clearing ‘Hurdle’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

“You get to a point when making a move from (being) a good team to an upper echelon team, that you gotta expect to win,” Dakich said. “I think that’s the big hurdle for Minnesota to get over. Minnesota has certainly had its chances.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Dakich is easily my least favorite color commentator, but he is right in this case. We gotta take the next step. Still time to do it this season. Starts this week with Nebraska and Iowa at home. Those are the games you have to win if you were going to be a top tier B1G team. Then we have another tough road test @MSU, a chance to redeem our early season attention and praise.

Pretty tough at this point to take the next step, there has been nothing in Tuby's six years here to indicate that it might happen, they can stil qualify for the NCAA but it will probably be as an 8, 9, or 10 and more likely a one and done.

Pretty tough at this point to take the next step, there has been nothing in Tuby's six years here to indicate that it might happen, they can stil qualify for the NCAA but it will probably be as an 8, 9, or 10 and more likely a one and done.

Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't. Your a fool to think otherwise.

Just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't. Your a fool to think otherwise.

And insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Tubby hasn't done a thing for how long and you expect something different... Hmmm... Sounds like you are the fool.

And insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Tubby hasn't done a thing for how long and you expect something different... Hmmm... Sounds like you are the fool.

This is his most talented team since arriving in Minnesota. They reached the highest ranking of not only his tenure but in over 20 years. By your logic, that should have been impossible since he had never achieved it before. Stop pretending to be a Gopher fan, it's not working.

We the next two and all the Anti-Tubby talk will go away. Getting old.

Gopherpride you are correct. Tubby and his team have done nothing over the previous 5 seasons that prove this year will be any different.

This is his most talented team since arriving in Minnesota. They reached the highest ranking of not only his tenure but in over 20 years. By your logic, that should have been impossible since he had never achieved it before. Stop pretending to be a Gopher fan, it's not working.

This is the most talented team tubby has had at mn. Ranking means nothing. Results are what matter.

Losing to nw was ridiculous - would you agree?

Waaaaay past time for tubby's team to perform well, win, and win big. Year 6.

This is the most talented team tubby has had at mn. Ranking means nothing. Results are what matter.

Name a bad loss other than Northwestern. Rankings are all you can go by until the season is over. I'd say the Michigan State win is starting to look pretty damn impressive and even though Illinois has collapsed, that was a big road win. We also had some good performances on neutral courts in the non-conference. Lot of games to be played still. No reason to start pissing and moaning ... unless of course you aren't actually a Gopher fan, in that case it makes sense because you are just trolling.

Prior to this season, injuries and departures were, to a degree legitimate reasons for seasons tanking. To deny that is simply to deny reality.

This season, though there is a question mark concerning Williams health and Trevor's hand, injuries and departures are not an excuse. I have to agree with Dakich on this one...they simply are not getting it done. Unfortunately it is not getting done at a few levels, coaching included. Given the talent this team has, this season has the potential to be the most underacheiving and disappointing the Gophers have had. Other seasons do not rate simply because the talent was not there. This season, the talent and potential is.

Would you say Indiana and Michigan have their best teams since tubby has been here? I would like to say wisky isn't very good but they have proven otherwise vs Indiana and us. Northwestern has also played well at home.

The argument "this is tubbys best team" is ridiculous due to the strength of the big ten. Many believe that tubbys best team should never lose to anyone as if no one else is talented and its the dumbest argument I have ever heard!

Is it his best though, Andre has been good at times but inconsistent, Trevor has played well, other than that nothing special about this team, they really lack offensive skills.

Name a bad loss other than Northwestern. Rankings are all you can go by until the season is over. I'd say the Michigan State win is starting to look pretty damn impressive and even though Illinois has collapsed, that was a big road win. We also had some good performances on neutral courts in the non-conference. Lot of games to be played still. No reason to start pissing and moaning ... unless of course you aren't actually a Gopher fan, in that case it makes sense because you are just trolling.

Bad loss? Wisky. This team SHOULD be winning the games they have won - right? Good grief, how many upperclassmen and 6th yr seniors do you want on the team?

Not trolling anyting. Pointing out that tubby and his teams have underperformed for the majority of 6 years is not trolling. That is a fact.

If having seaons for 17 years is not being a fan, then I am not a gopher fan.

Would you say Indiana and Michigan have their best teams since tubby has been here? I would like to say wisky isn't very good but they have proven otherwise vs Indiana and us. Northwestern has also played well at home.

The argument "this is tubbys best team" is ridiculous due to the strength of the big ten. Many believe that tubbys best team should never lose to anyone as if no one else is talented and its the dumbest argument I have ever heard!

The argument is ridiculous? IN year 6?

Disagree.

How long has Belein been at Mich? What kind of team has he assembled?

Bad loss? Wisky. This team SHOULD be winning the games they have won - right? Good grief, how many upperclassmen and 6th yr seniors do you want on the team?

Not trolling anyting. Pointing out that tubby and his teams have underperformed for the majority of 6 years is not trolling. That is a fact.

If having seaons for 17 years is not being a fan, then I am not a gopher fan.

You should seriously consider giving up your season tickets, it would be good for your health. You obviously hate watching the team, no need for that added stress and anger, especially when you are an aging man like yourself.

You should seriously consider giving up your season tickets, it would be good for your health. You obviously hate watching the team, no need for that added stress and anger, especially when you are an aging man like yourself.

We're all aging.

The argument is ridiculous? IN year 6?

Disagree.

How long has Belein been at Mich? What kind of team has he assembled?

The only thing that is ridiculous is you comparing our program to Michigans. Really?

With who's on the bench, how can this be considered Tubby's best team?

The 2010-11 team was 16-4 when Nolen went down (actually 15-4...Nolen got hurt and they won the next game).

I dont get why people think the team is so talented? There is some talent, but is there really a lot of elite talent? Trevor is excellent, and Andre is streaky, other than that there is no game changers IMO on the team. Rodney is a great athlete, but a above average BB player. Coleman is nothing special, and Hollins is a good, not great, all around player. The bench has nothing to really get excited about and there is no real hot recruits on the way. My issue is more about the amount of talent on the team than anything else...

When oil leaks under your car, are you ready to junk it?

When a good but not superior college basketball team falters during a losing streak, is it hemlock time, or better yet, is it time to get a six pack of hemlock?

I don't know whether the Gophers will right the ship with 9, 10, 11 conference wins, but concluding that the season is over and that the program is a failure is itself a failure to appreciate the streakiness of college basketball. Let's watch and enjoy it for what it is.

One of the things on this site that really ticks me off is this notion of "you can't be a Gopher fan" because you wrote something that someone else disagreed with.

Hey - I've been watching the Gophs since the late 60's. I went to a lot of games when I lived in the Cities - including a Gophs vs. Indiana battle in 1976 when the Gophs nearly upset the eventual National Champs.

Point being - I am a Gopher Fan. I also happen to think that Tubby has been a disappointment. Hey - the guy was advertised as a national championship-winning coach. He was going to turn things around - bring in better recruits - get the Gophs back on the national map, etc, etc, etc.

What has Tubby done - No NCAA tournament victories. A few good non-conference wins, and a couple of decent conference victories. A good NIT run. But, we have also seen teams that start fast and fizzle out - and we have repeatedly seen Tubby blame everyone and everything except himself for the lack of success.

I don't expect miracles - I don't expect the Gophs to suddenly turn into Duke or North Carolina - but I do expect them to be able to beat a NW team that is missing its best player. I expect them to beat one of the least-talented teams Bo Ryan has had at WI.

I have no confidence in Tubby, and frankly, I will be surprised if this team finishes .500 or better in the B1G. I am still a fan - I want to see the team win - but that doesn't mean I shut off my brain and ignore the evidence that I see with my own eyes.

I am interested to see how this team does after presumed home wins against Nebraska and Iowa. Can they go to MSU and get a win that cancels out the Northwestern loss? That's the next chance to do something to get the season back on track.

One of the things on this site that really ticks me off is this notion of "you can't be a Gopher fan" because you wrote something that someone else disagreed with.

Hey - I've been watching the Gophs since the late 60's. I went to a lot of games when I lived in the Cities - including a Gophs vs. Indiana battle in 1976 when the Gophs nearly upset the eventual National Champs.

Point being - I am a Gopher Fan.

I have no confidence in Tubby, and frankly, I will be surprised if this team finishes .500 or better in the B1G. I am still a fan - I want to see the team win - but that doesn't mean I shut off my brain and ignore the evidence that I see with my own eyes.

Well said sonny(I've been watching since 64).:)

Point being - I am a Gopher Fan. I also happen to think that Tubby has been a disappointment. Hey - the guy was advertised as a national championship-winning coach. He was going to turn things around - bring in better recruits - get the Gophs back on the national map, etc, etc, etc.

What has Tubby done - No NCAA tournament victories. A few good non-conference wins, and a couple of decent conference victories. A good NIT run. But, we have also seen teams that start fast and fizzle out - and we have repeatedly seen Tubby blame everyone and everything except himself for the lack of success.

I don't expect miracles - I don't expect the Gophs to suddenly turn into Duke or North Carolina - but I do expect them to be able to beat a NW team that is missing its best player. I expect them to beat one of the least-talented teams Bo Ryan has had at WI.

Very well stated. I concur.

I dont get why people think the team is so talented? There is some talent, but is there really a lot of elite talent? Trevor is excellent, and Andre is streaky, other than that there is no game changers IMO on the team. Rodney is a great athlete, but a above average BB player. Coleman is nothing special, and Hollins is a good, not great, all around player. The bench has nothing to really get excited about and there is no real hot recruits on the way. My issue is more about the amount of talent on the team than anything else...

Not sure if it's elite talent but it's the most talent we've had since 1998. Four of the five guys in the starting lineup have the potential of being drafted in the next few years.

I'll say this much, watching Gopher fans bicker back and forth can be quite entertaining in the same way some find watching hours upon hours of tv coverage of an election season entertaining. The truth is the truth and you have people at the extremes of both sides of the argument and others just hanging out in the middle, all in disagreement, using the very same facts and evidence to try to make their arguments, none of which changes the truth from being the truth.

Whats going to happen is going to happen, and the opinions of fans will never have much, if any, effect on whats going to happen.

Top Bottom