Who takes their team to S16 first: Tubby at Minn or Miles at Neb?

Who takes their team to S16 first: Tubby at Minn or Miles at Neb?

• Minnesota will go to the S16 under Tubby first

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • Nebraska will go to S16 under Miles first

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Who takes their team to S16 first: Tubby at Minn or Miles at Neb? I'm talking about from here on out (and not will Miles take Neb to S16 in first five years, whereas Tubby has not) but from today on, Who takes their team to S16 first: Tubby at Minn or Miles at Neb?

Minnesota. Absolutely. This year.

I tend to agree. The Big Ten will be a struggle for this team because of the half court style of the league. Assuming they get to the tournament and get a decent seed (6 range) I think they have a nice chance to make a run in the tourney whihc is generally more uptempo. Tubby tends to let the squad play in post season as well.

Minnesota. Absolutely. This year.

I tend to agree. The Big Ten will be a struggle for this team because of the half court style of the league. Assuming they get to the tournament and get a decent seed (6 range) I think they have a nice chance to make a run in the tourney whihc is generally more uptempo. Tubby tends to let the squad play in post season as well.

I can go along with that.

After this year.......Miles

What happens if Miles gets there this year with a Saturday game, and Tubby gets there this year on a Sunday game? Miles would get there first, right?

What happens if Miles gets there this year with a Saturday game, and Tubby gets there this year on a Sunday game? Miles would get there first, right?

Since the Gophers don't play Saturday games this year, that is very likely.

Why was NDSU left out of this discussion.........that would have gotten more responses.

Why was NDSU left out of this discussion.........that would have gotten more responses.

Because NDSU lost in Brookings over the weekend and there is a movement on to fire Saul Phillips because of that?

You already know which bracket Minnestoa will be in? And you're predicting Nebraska will be in the tourney this year? Let's find a place where we can bet on these things and I'll sponsor our trip to Vegas.

Earlier it was mentioned that the tournament is usually a faster pace. Not sure that's true.

Last year OSU had an Adjusted Tempo (per KenPom) of 68.2. Their tourney games had possession of 72, 62, 69, 69, and 68 for an average of 68.0. The previous year they had and AdjT of 65.1 and had tourney games of 58, 66, and 60 for an average of 61.33.

In 2012 MSU had an AdjT of 65.1 and had tourney games of 69, 60, and 60 for an avg of 63. They lost in the first round in 2011, but in 2010 it was 66.1 for the season, and 64, 72, 58, 59, 58 for an avg of 62.2 in the tourney.

So even relative to Big Ten teams' averages, tournament games are slower.

For all you Jeff Dubay fans(not me) he just said 'Tim Miles is a much better coach than Tubby....hands down...it's a blowout'.

For all you Jeff Dubay fans(not me) he just said 'Tim Miles is a much better coach than Tubby....hands down...it's a blowout'.

Miles very well may end up being a better coach than Tubby -- he's certainly had a promising young career -- but I tend not to put much credence in what a crackhead has to say. If a Mike DeCourcy, or a Jimmy Jackson, or a Jay Bilas say Miles is a better coach, then I'll pay attention.

Miles very well may end up being a better coach than Tubby -- he's certainly had a promising young career -- but I tend not to put much credence in what a crackhead has to say. If a Mike DeCourcy, or a Jimmy Jackson, or a Jay Bilas say Miles is a better coach, then I'll pay attention.

I'd pay attention(or more attention) to those you mention if one could get them to speak 'off the record'........if you know what I mean.

You already know which bracket Minnestoa will be in? And you're predicting Nebraska will be in the tourney this year? Let's find a place where we can bet on these things and I'll sponsor our trip to Vegas.

Think he was saying we haven't shown up for a Saturday game this year...not that he knows our schedule.

Think he was saying we haven't shown up for a Saturday game this year...not that he knows our schedule.

Nope, I was trying to say they have very few scheduled Saturday games(Big Ten) and as of now 0 at the Barn. Mostly Sunday games or both days off.

Miles will never take Nebraska to the sweet 16

Never is a long time. I don't see why Miles - 3 years out or so - couldn't make the tourney there. If practice facilities have anything to do with it- he's in.

+1 - Aside from him being a dope fiend, he is extremely biased in that Tim Miles was a weekly guest on the old PA & Dubay show, and it's very likely that they've "hung out" at some point aside from their frequent radio conversations. They did everything short of verbally fellating him on the radio.

Never is a long time. I don't see why Miles - 3 years out or so - couldn't make the tourney there. If practice facilities have anything to do with it- he's in.

No one said "make the tourney" they said sweet 16 and nothing that miles has done makes me believe Nebraska is going to the sweet 16

IIRC, Nebraska has never won an NCAA tournament game. So I'd have to go with Tubby. Just getting Nebraksa to the tournament is a feat and Miles may be off to better things (replacing Tubby?) before they reach Sweet 16 levels.

Sweet 16? Heck I think Miles is gonna pull off a championship victory. Fire Tubby!

After some serious soul searching on this, and it hurts to say it, but........... Tubby Smith might just be the worst coach in the Big 10. Seriously walk yourself thru all of the coaches (and the talent or lack of talent each one has). Carmody amazes me every year. Miles has had a nice start to his career and seems to be an upcoming coach, McCaffery is a great coach. Tubby might beat out Chambers at Penn State just because he is still to much of an unknown to me. This hurts because I have been onb the Tubby bandwagon since he got here but the talent he has always seems to regress as the years go on. The final straw was the NW game when the players didn't appear to know how to attack a 1 - 3 -1 zone. We all learned that in 8th grade. So sad because the talent we have this year is pretty special. Your thoughts

Agreed - the ground is fertile in Lincoln, and Miles is an outstanding coach. If he stays for long, the sky's the limit.

I still think of this year's Gopher team as a Sweet Sixteen team. This is the time; the iron is hot. If not this year, then it will be at least a couple more before the roster can be reloaded. By that time, it's not certain Coach Smith will still be here.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

. ... Seriously walk yourself thru all of the coaches.

My thoughts?

I consider myself a Tubby guy, but no question there are excellent basketball coaches everywhere you look in the B1G. Trying to stay completely objective I'd rank Tubby as the 8th best coach in the conference when looking at the entire package (X's and O's, coaching staff, recruiting, PR, the whole 9 yards), and he's a national championship coach. That's a pretty good indicator of how tough it is.

In no particular order, I'd have Crean, Beilein, Izzo, Carmody, Matta, Painter, and Ryan all ahead of Tubby. I like McCaffery and Miles, too, but there's not enough information at their current schools yet.

My thoughts?

I consider myself a Tubby guy, but no question there are excellent basketball coaches everywhere you look in the B1G. Trying to stay completely objective I'd rank Tubby as the 8th best coach in the conference when looking at the entire package (X's and O's, coaching staff, recruiting, PR, the whole 9 yards), and he's a national championship coach. That's a pretty good indicator of how tough it is.

In no particular order, I'd have Crean, Beilein, Izzo, Carmody, Matta, Painter, and Ryan all ahead of Tubby. I like McCaffery and Miles, too, but there's not enough information at their current schools yet.

Wait!What? Are you saying that the Court of Public Opinion by GH posters is not enough information? Wowza, you have really gone out on a limb here, SS.

My thoughts?

It's valid to say he's 8th, but really it's hard to compare Tubby to Carmody for example. That's kind of like saying Jerry Kill is a better coach that Brett Bielema. He might be, but may never have the better team. Izzo and Beilein are the top two by far IMO. Crean and Matta have great gigs, and huge built in advantages MN does not have, so it's hard to compare. I think Tubby is in a group with Painter, Bo and Carmody. in the 5-8 range. I wouldn't pull the trigger on trading Tubby for any of them though.

Here is a different way too look at it. Objectively would each school trade their coach for Tubby? Assumes they pay the same salary.

In my view Northwestern would trade Carmody for Tubby in a heartbeat. I think Purdue would trade Painter as well. PSU, Iowa and Nebraska all would as well and are at least a successful season away from claiming their coach is anywhere comparable to Tubby.

That would mean I rank Crean, Beilein, Izzo, Matta, and Ryan all ahead of Tubby which puts Tubby at 6.

When Tubby came in 2008, only Izzo (maybe Ryan) would have been ahead of him.

I don't understand why everyone loves Carmody so much. The academics angle is a crutch. Schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Stanford, etc. are all good-to-elite despite being prestigious academic schools. Harvard is in the process of turning itself from "Ivy League good" to "good" period. It's almost mathematically impossible to have been in the Big Ten since 1985 (Big Dance expansion), when the Big Ten has been a good-to-great conference the entire time, and not have made the dance even once. The popular refrain seems to be "look how good he's doing at Northwestern of all places". Anyone ever consider that he's partially, perhaps even mostly, to blame for the attitude of "oh, it's Northwestern"? Seriously - he's been there 13 years and not ONE Tournament appearance? Tubby Smith is pilloried mercilessly by the Gopher "fans" for "only" going to the Dance twice in 6 years (soon to be thrice in 7) - can you imagine what the reaction would be from our "fan"base if he went 0-for-13? People want to equate the two, even put Carmody ahead, when he's won 33 percent of his Big Ten games. If Tubby had a Big Ten record of 69-131 and 0-for-13 in Tournament appearances, the hangings would go from figurative to literal.

. ... Tubby Smith is pilloried mercilessly by the Gopher "fans" for "only" going to the Dance twice in 6 years (soon to be thrice in 7).

Respectfully dpo, that's certainly the case for some Gopher fans (who make their voices known here), but not all of us. I think the biggest problem with message boards is that the lunatic fringe on both ends ("Tubby can do no right", "Tubby can do no wrong") speak the loudest. The truth lies somewhere in between. And to be clear, I'm not referring to you.

Top Bottom