Gophers searching for ways to get Rodney Williams back on track

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"He's got to get his confidence back," the Howard Pulley AAU basketball founder said. "I thought Rodney was at the stage where the light came on. I thought he was on his way."

"Rodney's a very talented player, one of the most talented players I've ever coached," Smith said Saturday. "It's just mentally and psychologically; Rodney has been in a funk for a few games. It's a matter of getting a good win. It would probably solve some of that. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten one in a long time."

"He's a great player; he's proven it time and time before," Mbakwe said. "We just have to keep screening for him and getting him in positions where he can score the ball."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

That might or might not work. You know the old saying about basketball players! "Don't Muck with basketball players, cuz they dribble before they shoot."

That might or might not work. You know the old saying about basketball players! "Don't Muck with basketball players, cuz they dribble before they shoot."

Hahahahahaha. Funniest thing I read on here in a while.

Maybe the AAU and high school coaches should have taught him how to actually play basketball.

Some will take this the wrong way. But if Rodney would have ever gotten hurt to where he couldnt use his incredible athletism for a year he may have learned the little things one must pick up to be effective. Taking 200 shots a day, running off screens, dribbling, guarding your man by moving your feet--not relying on a super vertical to save you after the fact, dribbling into the lane and jump stopping when a second defender is waiting for you to charge into them, etc.

Sometimes great athletism can work against a player when they rely on that versus aquiring other skills. Lots of today's players want to either shoot 3's or dunk, which is why someone with a midrange game like Dre has is so special.

I love what Rodney brings to the team when he is on. I hope it returns.

Some will take this the wrong way. But if Rodney would have ever gotten hurt to where he couldnt use his incredible athletism for a year he may have learned the little things one must pick up to be effective. Taking 200 shots a day, running off screens, dribbling, guarding your man by moving your feet--not relying on a super vertical to save you after the fact, dribbling into the lane and jump stopping when a second defender is waiting for you to charge into them, etc.

Sometimes great athletism can work against a player when they rely on that versus aquiring other skills. Lots of today's players want to either shoot 3's or dunk, which is why someone with a midrange game like Dre has is so special.

I love what Rodney brings to the team when he is on. I hope it returns.

I think you are right on the money. Dre is a rare player because he can create his own shot, and even make shots that to me look like bad shots (contested jumpers). Rodney is a nice role player, but not a complete player at this point.

I think you are right on the money. Dre is a rare player because he can create his own shot, and even make shots that to me look like bad shots (contested jumpers). Rodney is a nice role player, but not a complete player at this point.

Dre's step back shot and 3 pt shot is money, so much so, that it would be neat for him to add that as a fake and then drive to the hoop. Always deversify.

Top Bottom