New starters?

Reaction score
Something's gotta give here, and I think the starting lineup is a good place to start. I was thinking:
Pg- Dre Hollins
Sg- Julian Welch
Sf- Andre Ingram
Pf- Trevor Mbakwe
C- Elliott Eliason

Austin, Joe, and Rodney all need wake up calls. I'm not saying the 3 new starters are in any way better, because they are not, but IMO, over the past 3-4 games, they have earned it more.

I do think it is time for Rodney to come off the bench for at least 1 game. Maybe he will play a little more inspired if he has to earn his way back into starting lineup

Austin is at least working hard out there. Sometimes the shots just don't fall. It couldn't be more obvious with the other 2. Joey and Rodney could ride the pine for the rest of the season and I'd be o.k. with that. Just sayin'

I say Tubby gives them an extended tongue-lashing before the next practice, and he starts whatever 5 give the most effort immediately after being yelled at for an hour.

Something's gotta give here, and I think the starting lineup is a good place to start. I was thinking:
Pg- Dre Hollins
Sg- Julian Welch
Sf- Andre Ingram
Pf- Trevor Mbakwe
C- Elliott Eliason

Austin, Joe, and Rodney all need wake up calls. I'm not saying the 3 new starters are in any way better, because they are not, but IMO, over the past 3-4 games, they have earned it more.

LOL at starting Andre Ingram of all people at SF. Do you even watch the games? Ingram is more of a center than a small forward. If I'm changing up the lineups for motivation purposes I go with this lineup...

PG: Dre
SG: Austin (even when he doesn't score he does a lot of other things for us)
SF: Oto (he'll likely start next year and is essentially our only SF if Rodney and Joe are going to come off the bench)
PF: Trevor
C: EE (he's been playing inspired basketball as of late and he'll be our starting center next year)

LOL at starting Andre Ingram of all people at SF. Do you even watch the games? Ingram is more of a center than a small forward. If I'm changing up the lineups for motivation purposes I go with this lineup...

SF: Oto (he'll likely start next year and is essentially our only SF if Rodney and Joe are going to come off the bench)
C: EE (he's been playing inspired basketball as of late and he'll be our starting center next year)

Yuck. If you are taking Rodney and Coleman out for more scoring options, you slide Austin to the 3 and Welch or Mav in for a third guard.

First of all, I know Ingram plays with more of the skill set of a center, but even if he doesn't really fit as a small forward, he deserves the 5th starting spot more than anyone else does.
Second, of course I watch the games. I have not missed a single game since the start of the Tubby Smith era, and many many years before that.

Yuck. If you are taking Rodney and Coleman out for more scoring options, you slide Austin to the 3 and Welch or Mav in for a third guard.

Yup

Dre and Austin can hit the three but you need more than two(Mich has four starters) in this day and age. Julian and Mav are the only other two that can make a three on a regular basis.

Austin Hollins has been our most consistent player until the last two games.

This is what I was thinking and depending on the matchups maybe move Austin Hollins to SF ad start Ahamisi at SG (definately not PG tough).

I honestly think at this point you have to switch it up. Rodney has to come off the bench until he shows improvement. Austins slump, seems less mental, and more so just one of those stretches right now, he is still contributing on defense, and honestly is our best rebounder minus trevor.

In a perfect world I would start....

1. Mav
2. Dre
3. Austin
4. Trev
5. Elliason

I honestly think at this point you have to switch it up. Rodney has to come off the bench until he shows improvement. Austins slump, seems less mental, and more so just one of those stretches right now, he is still contributing on defense, and honestly is our best rebounder minus trevor.

1. Mav
2. Dre
3. Austin
4. Trev
5. Elliason

Total Bull$hit. We need your numbers 1-5 filled in with any 5 GH experts.

UofMdad

1. Mav
2. Dre
3. Austin
4. Trev
5. Elliason

I hope you don't mean Mav at the 1 position and Dre at the 2 position. I would play a mix of the following 1st choice/2nd choice etc: The game Tues. against Neb gives us a great chance (fingers crossed) to mix up the subs. IMO

1 position: Dre/Julian
2 position: Mav/Austin/Julian/Wally
3 position: Austin/Rodney/Joe/Oto/Wally
4 position: Trevor/Ingram/Oto
5 position: EE/Ingram/Mo

"A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times."

1. Dre
2. Austin
3. Joe
4. Ingram
5. Trev

Ingram is not a big scoring threat, but his body and style are more physical than Rodney.

1. Mav
2. Dre
3. Austin
4. Trev
5. Elliason

This would probably be my second option. With Mav and Dre "sharing" the PG duties. Either could bring the ball up, but if the opponent started to pressure the ball handler before half court I'd just have Dre bring it up and have Mav play like a SG.

I think it may be time to sit Rodney. Trev at the 4 and either Mo or Elliason at center. I'm good with the other starters right now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rodney come off the bench and starting Ingram. I think Rodney is the kind of player who doesn't handle pressure very well. Notice how he did great in the NIT when there was no pressure and no expectations?

@gophersnow: Tubby said there will be no starting lineup changes for Tuesday vs. Nebraska. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

I wouldn't want to see Ingram start-have we all forgotten some of his turnovers?. Has everyone lost their minds? The line up that has been out there is solid...have they all played good all the time? No, but removing people because of a few bad games as a "wake up call" can have the complete opposite effect. Based on the mental state this team has shown at times, making drastic line up changes won't work. IMO. Jesus, a few weeks ago people were worried Austin and Dre would come out early...Rodney was a lottery pick...what the hell? Ride it out...I swear to god the first few games I watched of the Badgers I wondered if they would win a B1G game. We are just in a bad run...things have a way of evening out. I would rather see this now, then the end of February.

I'll reiterate what I said last time someone suggested starting Eliason: you could put him in earlier in the game, but he wouldn't wind up playing many more minutes. He averages 5.4 fouls committed per 40 minutes. If he played enough to qualify for KenPom's rankings (40% of available minutes) he'd be 70th in the Big Ten in that category.

Adam Woodbury starts for Iowa but commits 5.54 fouls per 40. He plays only 40.4% of his team's minutes, 16.3 mins / game. For comparison EE plays 12.9 minutes / game.

I wouldn't want to see Ingram start-have we all forgotten some of his turnovers?. Has everyone lost their minds? The line up that has been out there is solid...have they all played good all the time? No, but removing people because of a few bad games as a "wake up call" can have the complete opposite effect. Based on the mental state this team has shown at times, making drastic line up changes won't work. IMO. Jesus, a few weeks ago people were worried Austin and Dre would come out early...Rodney was a lottery pick...what the hell? Ride it out...I swear to god the first few games I watched of the Badgers I wondered if they would win a B1G game. We are just in a bad run...things have a way of evening out. I would rather see this now, then the end of February.

Should anything change?

So he didn't like our suggestions? Damn

Hard to believe he didn't like our suggestions. I've got to think Tubby can turn the this around, I feel he needs to right the ship himself however and go on HIS personal insight. Five hundred plus wins, how many do I have, not as many. I believe we can win, do you?

Hard to believe he didn't like our suggestions. I've got to think Tubby can turn the this around, I feel he needs to right the ship himself however and go on HIS personal insight. Five hundred plus wins, how many do I have, not as many. I believe we can win, do you?

Yes, I believe we can win. I also believe Tubby is going on his insight and no one's on the GH. IMO

Top Bottom