MSU

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Lost at home to PSU. What a joke? PSU would finish 4th in the B10 this year. Think about that.

The Big Ten hockey conference is going to be horsesh!t next year. So glad we are left the greatest hockey conference and all of our rivalries (save one) to join it. But I suppose that playing in a conference called Big Ten and being able to have some of our games televised on the BTN will make it worth it (sarcasm alert).

The Big Ten hockey conference is going to be horsesh!t next year. So glad we are left the greatest hockey conference and all of our rivalries (save one) to join it. But I suppose that playing in a conference called Big Ten and being able to have some of our games televised on the BTN will make it worth it (sarcasm alert).

Next year might be garbage, but I am back and forth and the long-term prospects. New rivalries will develop, and there is a good chance that more B1G teams will start programs now that they have a premier-ish conference to join instead of needing to play as an independent and pray that the ECAC picks them up. I think it will be fun having multiple games against MSU and Mich, "you got us in hoops, look out on the ice next weekend". I think the Michigan rivalry could develop into a good one. With the in-state games locked in, and with the prospect of us getting NoDak back on the out of conference schedule in the next few years, I think we could get the best of both worlds.

This. Our real rivalries don't lie in the Big Ten. They lie in the soon to be defunct WCHA. It is a shame. They should have simply invited the other Big Ten programs to join the WCHA or they should invite some of the better WCHA programs to join the Big Ten hockey conference. It is bullheaded to start a terrible conference like this. It similar to putting Alabama in the MAC.

Agree completely. Yes, the other teams in the B1G are having down years, but that won't last for teams like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State. I don't like losing automatically scheduled rivalries like North Dakota & UMD, because we're in the same conference. But we'll still play them regularly, and that fire will still be there. I'm hoping that the big picture includes adding some more varsity hockey programs at B1G schools, building College Hockey up, and building up Hockey in general. I think it's the greatest sport on the face of the earth, and hate the fact that it's so underrated and under-covered by networks like ESPN. Keeping my hopes high, along with my expectations.
Next year might be garbage, but I am back and forth and the long-term prospects. New rivalries will develop, and there is a good chance that more B1G teams will start programs now that they have a premier-ish conference to join instead of needing to play as an independent and pray that the ECAC picks them up. I think it will be fun having multiple games against MSU and Mich, "you got us in hoops, look out on the ice next weekend". I think the Michigan rivalry could develop into a good one. With the in-state games locked in, and with the prospect of us getting NoDak back on the out of conference schedule in the next few years, I think we could get the best of both worlds.

We used to have a huge rivalry with Michigan....then we quit playing them once they left the WCHA (the showcase didn't count)....give it 5 years and we will hate Michigan again and ND will be more of an oversight...

Don't forget that the B1G schools had no say in the matter. B1G by-laws state when 6 member schools participate in a sport, they must join the B1G. When PSU added their program, it was a done deal.

Don't forget that the B1G schools had no say in the matter. B1G by-laws state when 6 member schools participate in a sport, they must join the B1G. When PSU added their program, it was a done deal.

Are you 100% sure that's the case? In exchanging emails with our former AD about the subject he told me that they had two days of deliberations about forming the conference in which he voiced his concerns. It doesn't make sense that they would deliberate about it for two days if they had no choice in forming it.

We used to have a huge rivalry with Michigan....then we quit playing them once they left the WCHA (the showcase didn't count)....give it 5 years and we will hate Michigan again and ND will be more of an oversight...

this. +1

I agree wholeheartedly on Michigan. However, if NoDak continues playing like the thugs they are, I will continue hating them even if we don't see them for the next century.

Ron- I have heard Lucia say that several times, that it was a B1G policy. The B1G Board of Directors may have needed to approve the formation of the hockey conference and maybe the former AD and others were voicing their concerns to them.

I couldn't disagree more. You're saying AA and Michigan Tech are Quality opponents year end and year out? This gives us an opportunity to compete in a conference with schools with similar expectations. Especially academically. We have added $ to the balance sheets of the likes of the Sue. How does that benefit a superior institution with superior standards and programs? Watch out for Ohio State. You don't think Osiecki won't push for a rivalry?

I couldn't disagree more. You're saying AA and Michigan Tech are Quality opponents year end and year out? This gives us an opportunity to compete in a conference with schools with similar expectations. Especially academically. We have added $ to the balance sheets of the likes of the Sue. How does that benefit a superior institution with superior standards and programs? Watch out for Ohio State. You don't think Osiecki won't push for a rivalry?

If Ohio State has similar expectations to us in hockey they are failing miserably.

Top Bottom