The train has left the station...

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
The bubble has burst.
Tubby's Gophers in another freefall.
You surprised?

I'm surprised that they couldn't review that last badger shot which clearly looked to be a shot clock violation.

How about making free throws Ingrim and Rodney? We're 4 up and win the game if Ingrim (SP?) hits them...

I'm surprised that they couldn't review that last badger shot which clearly looked to be a shot clock violation.

Vanderbilt got screwed at home because UK got off a shot and the shot clock had expired. It could not be reviewed. It has to be the last shot iof the game, like the end of the Wisconsin/ MSU game last year when Evans hit a 3 to tie, but they waved it off after the review because the shot was too late.

The bubble has burst.
Tubby's Gophers in another freefall.
You surprised?

The Gophers needed a break in the schedule sometime after the rough start to the B1G schedule, instead they are on a bad streak with no gimme wins to stop that streak (until the upcoming game against Neb. on Tuesday). Three very tough games out of four, with a toss-up road game against NW thrown in there, can lead to 4-game losing streaks. The best teams come out of that with a couple of wins. The Gophers are obviously not among the best...right now...with Williams, Coleman, Austin, and Dre all playing below average ball during that stretch.

If Mbakwe is actually injured, the season could indeed be a freefall. Otherwise, expect the Gophers to turn it around after gaining back some confidence.

Three very tough games out of four, with a toss-up road game against NW thrown in there, can lead to 4-game losing streaks.

A game where the 12th ranked team in the country is an 8 point road favorite against a team without their best player, had been 0-3 and outscored by 56 points on their home floor in conference is now called a toss-up game? That is a spin I hadn't heard used yet.

I would say the NW game is the only truly bad loss we have, I think we will be 8-5 heading into Columbus

Tubby's offense if horrible. Gopher basketball used to be my favorite thing to watch, now I get so angry I can't even watch anymore.

I don't know if his offense is so bad but that he has not recruited any shooters - I remember watching the midnight madness this fall and watching in amazement as Austin went 0 or 1 for 10 or whatever in the 3 pt. shooting contest...

People seem to forget that our win over the Illini got us our High ranking, and Illinois has done nothing but lose since then. Other than that, we had a home win vs NW and a home win vs MSU, that could have just as easily been a loss. We got kind of lucky vs Stanford as well, as far as I remember.

So its pretty easy to image that we were simply OVERRATED.

That being said, the loss to NW, though it was a bad loss, wasn't the HUGE EARTH SHATTERING UPSET that some are making it out to be.

Minny was overrated. NW at #98 in the RPI at the time of the game, was underrated. NW had ROAD wins vs 2 Top 50 rated teams, so while they can one day be pummeled, including by us, on other days they show up and can beat good teams.

Looking at our 4 game losing streak with an unbiased view, it was THREE ROAD GAMES, with the only home game coming against the soon to be #1 ranked Michigan Wolverines.

The home game vs soon to be #1 Michigan? Forgivable loss

The ROAD game vs Top 15 Indiana? Very Forgivable loss

The ROAD game vs Wisconsin? Well, the Ken-Pom has Wisco ranked #13 in the country. The Sagarin has Wisco ranked #17. They have 5 wins in the Big Ten already, including a ROAD win vs IU. I am not sure, but I'd say that a 1 pt loss to them, ON THE ROAD, is forgivable.

Then we have the NW ROAD game. I can't defend it, I can't call it forgivable, but it being right in the middle of that brutal 4 game stretch, well, it happened.

Now I think that we just have to hope that an easy home game vs a team like Nebraska can help get the team back on the winning path.

7 of our remaining 11 games are vs teams BELOW us in the Big Ten standings. 2 of the 4 games vs teams above us, are home games, the game vs IU and the game vs Wisconsin.

The team seems to be playing badly and lacking confidence, but all we need is for 2 players to have good games and help us get one win, for that to lead to more confidence and a 2nd win, and then who knows what?!

It's very arguable that, in the past 3 games if just two of the four of Dre, Austin, Joe, and Rodney came to play that the Gophers would have / could have won all 3 of those games. Certainly @ NW and @ UW fit that, and probably the home game vs. UMich as well. Trevor came to play all three games, but he lacked a third supporting player in each of those games.

You don't win too many games with only 1 or 2 guys showing up to play.

No doubt that the team is in free fall and (again) Tubby's Gophers are a team that doesn't get better as the season goes along. I want to preface this by saying I am PISSED the Gophers lost to Wisconsin in a supposed down year for the Badgers (we have posters who'd excuse a 4 win Big Ten season if the Gophers lost Jordan Taylor then lost his projected replacement to injury), but I do take it as an encouraging sign that the Gophers should have won the game today. I thought this team would absolutely fall apart in Madison after the debacle in Evanston and lose by 15 plus. The fact that they didn't completely melt down makes me feel pretty confident that they will win the two easy ones at home to get back over .500.

Tubby's offense if horrible. Gopher basketball used to be my favorite thing to watch, now I get so angry I can't even watch anymore.

You will watch the Husker game...

The sad thing is, I probably will end up watching it. I have a feeling it is going to be another ugly/slow it down game.

No doubt that the team is in free fall and (again) Tubby's Gophers are a team that doesn't get better as the season goes along. I want to preface this by saying I am PISSED the Gophers lost to Wisconsin in a supposed down year for the Badgers (we have posters who'd excuse a 4 win Big Ten season if the Gophers lost Jordan Taylor then lost his projected replacement to injury), but I do take it as an encouraging sign that the Gophers should have won the game today. I thought this team would absolutely fall apart in Madison after the debacle in Evanston and lose by 15 plus. The fact that they didn't completely melt down makes me feel pretty confident that they will win the two easy ones at home to get back over .500.

That unwillingness to have expectations drives me up the wall. You are exactly right, last year it was ok we got swept by Wisconsin because we lost a key cog. This year, Wisconsin loses a key-cog, and a replacement, we lose to Wisconsin, and the response is "well, the Kohl Center is a tough place to play". Wisconsin had a garbage out of conference season after losing Taylor, but instead of whine and make excuses, they seem to have righted the ship and are on track for another winning basketball season.

I agree 100% as I also was a huge supporter of both Gopher basketball and football as I have been since the 60's. Yes Tubby's offense or using other words, What offense? It is no wonder to me why we have soooo many turnovers. The young men have no idea what to do on offense, especially when they have a slight lead towards the end of the game.
I hate to ask this, but what effect will this style of play and failure of the team, have on all the local and national recruiting? If I may answer my own question, and it bothers me to even think this, but I feel as though we will loose all the superb talent that is in this area to other powerhouse schools.
One more comment - Why did Kentucky allow Tubby to leave?

The sad thing is, I probably will end up watching it. I have a feeling it is going to be another ugly/slow it down game.

If by "ugly/slow" you mean a game with sharp, effective passing leading to open shots, I sure hope so.

The game looks like a chess match - everyone moving in slow motion two steps to the right two steps to the left - no spontaneity - the shot clock got us several time - what happened to the run and gun game - I think there is too much micro "coaching" going on - let them play ball!

I don't know if his offense is so bad but that he has not recruited any shooters - I remember watching the midnight madness this fall and watching in amazement as Austin went 0 or 1 for 10 or whatever in the 3 pt. shooting contest...

No, his offense is bad, watch the off ball movement or lack of it, pass and stand alot of the time.

Egad Watson, you've got. Remember last year, when they took off and won games, they pressured the ball and ran for dunks. This jump shooting thing is killing is overrated. Hmmmmmm?

Gophers feel, because they are a ranked team, they need no longer play hard. IU and MSU, because they are ranked teams, feel they need to continue to play hard.

#1, you say you can't watch anymore, then...
#2. you say you probably will.

With posters like you who contradict themselves, to the extent I don't know why they babble, I now have a damn good reason for being a drunk. It's not my fault. :drink: :drink: :drink:

#1, you say you can't watch anymore, then...
#2. you say you probably will.

With posters like you who contradict themselves, to the extent I don't know why they babble, I now have a damn good reason for being a drunk. It's not my fault. :drink: :drink: :drink:

When have we ever needed a reason? I'll drink with a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason.

No, his offense is bad, watch the off ball movement or lack of it, pass and stand alot of the time.

I made a point to do just that. Williams was the worst of the worst. On several possessions I kept waiting for him to DO SOMETHING or GO SOMEWHERE, and he DID NOT. Just painful to see, especially knowing what this team can do with movement and interior passing.

Top Bottom