Seth Davis "missing pieces" includes Gophers

"The Gophers are ranked last in the Big Ten in turnovers at 14.7 per game, and some of them are so boneheaded they ought to be counted twice."

The missing pieces commits turnovers at the same rate as Joe Coleman. Not sure how that helps.

Seth Davis doesn't do so well with numbers.

Minnesota also needs better defense at the point of attack. It is first in the Big Ten in blocks per game (6.4) but it is 338th nationally in steals percentage.

The 338th is attributable to Minnesota's OFFENSE, not their defense. The Gophers' defense is actually 8th best in the nation in steals percentage.

Davis is known for being an anti-numbers guy. I think he was trying to be cute by throwing in a bunch of statistics in this article, but by his own admission he's not a numbers guy and this article makes that very clear.

The sad thing is there is something very hypocritical in his mistake (among other things). Hope he's able to open up to more relevant analysis and start to understand it... but, giving out bad information to readers isn't helpful. Disappointing.

He's right about some of the turnovers being so bad they should be counted twice. It's nothing new, but the Gophers almost have to have more completely unforced, baffling turnovers over the past 2-3 years than any other team. The only thing I haven't seen yet is a Gopher player jump up and down with the ball for a travel...which Joe Coleman came perilously close to doing last night.

maybe he plays smart and gives an all out effort, Coleman looks like he is wandering around lost.

There was one play when one of the guards (I believe it was welch) dribbled p to the top of the key and stopped, and the ball just kept going, almost like he passed it to the defender. I have never seen a team turn the ball over so often.....on lazy or thoughtless plays.

Top Bottom