Dubay and Zulgad ripping Tubby a new a$$ hole on espn1500

Everything said by the media today is deserved. I hope everyone writes a degrading article about them today or tomorrow.

Some ripping is deserved after that performance, but they're going full bore on the 'Fire Tubby' talk and that's ridiculous. If we beat Wisconsin in 2 days we'll still be in the top 15 teams in the country, and we're talking about this? How about we play the last 12 games first?

Everything said by the media today is deserved.

Yep. After a performance like last night, I'd even let Souhan rip away on the Gophers.

I'd say Saturday is the Gophers' first major gut-check. Time to show some major cajones and go to Madtown and leave with nothing short of a win.

Some ripping is deserved after that performance, but they're going full bore on the 'Fire Tubby' talk and that's ridiculous. If we beat Wisconsin in 2 days we'll still be in the top 15 teams in the country, and we're talking about this? How about we play the last 12 games first?

I agree that it's just too early and the season has to play itself out.

It's beginning to look as though all the talk of a Big Ten championship and final four appearance is ridiculous also.

Goes both ways.

It's beginning to look as though all the talk of a Big Ten championship and final four appearance is ridiculous also.

It probably always was. Before the season, I felt Sweet 16 and a top 4-5 finish in the B1G was the high-end hope for this team. I still feel that way. More would have been great, but I think we'd all be pretty happy with this.

I agree that it's just too early and the season has to play itself out.

FWIW, Tubby has a clause in his new contract that prevents him from being fired during the season unless it's for cause. So even if Norwood was as reactionary as a fan on here, it's not happening. So let's let them play the last 12 games.

I just can't believe we gave him an extension.

the extension wasn't as bad as the buyout being increased from 1mil to $2.5 mil. If it would have been a Brewster extension (more years, less buyout) it would have been ok.

Spencer would fit in perfect on this team. High expectations and limited results.

All the talk of Northwestern being barely better than a high school team was BEYOND ridiculous.

It was disrespectful, and IGNORANT.

Check your facts. NW has played more Top 15 ranked teams than any other team in the country.

NW also has more ROAD wins vs Top 50 ranked teams than Minnesota.

NW is 3-4 vs Top 50 RPI ranked teams. But only 3-7 vs Top 100 ranked teams.

Apparently they have it in them to BEAT some of the best teams in the country, incl on the road, yet also have it in them to lose to some of the not exactly dominating teams like Iowa, at home.

Check your facts. NW has played more Top 15 ranked teams than any other team in the country.

Checking...false.

NW has played 4 top-15 teams (Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana and Minnesota)
Minnesota has also played 4 top-15 teams (Duke, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan)
Wisconsin has played 5 top-15 teams (Florida, Creighton, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan State)

I could go on, but that's enough.

All the talk of Northwestern being barely better than a high school team was BEYOND ridiculous.

Apparently they have it in them to BEAT some of the best teams in the country, incl on the road, yet also have it in them to lose to some of the not exactly dominating teams like Iowa, at home.

You make a good case that Carmody is quite a coach.

hey brucekaupa -- Smart ash, Top 15 RIGHT NOW.

So YOU are false, wrong, incorrect.

Northwestern has played FIVE Top 15 teams. BUTLER, Minnesota, Indiana, Minnesota and Michigan.

You list Illinois and Creighton, but they are NOT ranked in the Top 15 of the RPI anymore.

Clearly they are better than a hight school team but they also have lost their last 3 at home by 20 or more points...including a 20 pt loss to Iowa...NW is not a good team they have bottom of the big ten talent. Lets not pretend like we got beat by an upper echelon big ten

And they have a kid wearing an underarmour yarmulke on the bench. They seem like a team of misfits/losers from a movie and a Sixth Place Smith's squad still can't win.

the extension wasn't as bad as the buyout being increased from 1mil to $2.5 mil. If it would have been a Brewster extension (more years, less buyout) it would have been ok.

The existing buyout provisions effective made it about $2 million prior to the amendment. Still... an extension wasn't needed and it was extremely sweetened for Smith.

Well, don't EXAGGERATE about the loss being more than what it was.

Road wins have never been easy to come by in the Big Ten. The Gophers of 1989 and 1990 lost to NW on the road I believe, or at least the 89 squad did. I don't know that they won more than 1 or 2 road games in the Big Ten all season. Yet they made it to the Sweet 16.

The 1990 team may have beat NW on the road, but not Illinois. I think the 89 squad finished 6th out of 10 teams and the 90 team finished what? 5th? Neither team won more than 2 or 3 road games, if that many even?!

Well, don't EXAGGERATE about the loss being more than what it was.

Road wins have never been easy to come by in the Big Ten. The Gophers of 1989 and 1990 lost to NW on the road I believe, or at least the 89 squad did. I don't know that they won more than 1 or 2 road games in the Big Ten all season. Yet they made it to the Sweet 16.

The 1990 team may have beat NW on the road, but not Illinois. I think the 89 squad finished 6th out of 10 teams and the 90 team finished what? 5th? Neither team won more than 2 or 3 road games, if that many even?!

The 1988-89 squad lost @ NU, went 1-8 on the road (8-1 at home) and went to the Sweet 16.

The 1989-90 squad went 4-5 on the road (including losing @ mediocre Illinois by 27) and went to the Elite 8.

The 1988-89 squad lost @ NU, went 1-8 on the road (8-8 at home) and went to the Sweet 16.

The 1989-90 squad went 4-5 on the road (including losing @ mediocre Illinois by 27) and went to the Elite 8.

What were the home records those years?

1-8? OMG, they SUCKED!!!! What a horrible team, must have been a loser of a coach, how is it he wasn't fired after such a horrible season?!

Funny thing is, we'd definitely have been much better off if we had, but that's not really fair to take that into consideration.

You have to take the whole season into consideration but if they miss the tournament, which looks very possible right now, I would have to think that they would have to take a hard look at whether they want to keep Tubby. Lets face it, at this point in time he is not getting the job done. Can they go 10-8, I doubt it, maybe 9-9.

They almost have to beat Iowa away or Indiana at the home to insure they make the tournament, that game means no more mistakes.

loss 01/26/13 at Wisconsin * Madison, Wis. 1:00 p.m. CT
win 01/29/13 vs. Nebraska * Williams Arena 8:00 p.m. CT
win 02/03/13 vs. Iowa * Williams Arena 12:00 p.m. CT
loss 02/06/13 at Michigan State * East Lansing, Mich. 6:00 p.m. CT
win 02/10/13 vs. Illinois * Williams Arena 5:00 p.m. CT
win 02/14/13 vs. Wisconsin * Williams Arena 6:00 p.m. CT
loss ??? 02/17/13 at Iowa * Iowa City, Iowa 1:00 p.m. CT
loss 02/20/13 at Ohio State * Columbus, Ohio 6:00 p.m. CT
loss ??? 02/26/13 vs. Indiana * Williams Arena 6:00 p.m. CT Played either March 2 or 3
win 03/02/13 vs. Penn State * Williams Arena
win 03/06/13 at Nebraska * Lincoln, Neb. 8:00 p.m. CT
loss 03/09/13 at Purdue * West Lafayette, Ind. 11:00

You have to take the whole season into consideration but if they miss the tournament, which looks very possible right now, I would have to think that they would have to take a hard look at whether they want to keep Tubby. Lets face it, at this point in time he is not getting the job done. Can they go 10-8, I doubt it, maybe 9-9.

They almost have to beat Iowa away or Indiana at the home to insure they make the tournament, that game means no more mistakes.

loss ??? 02/26/13 vs. Indiana * Williams Arena 6:00 p.m. CT Played either March 2 or 3

They have put themselves in the position where at the least a 7-2 home conference record is needed.

If this goes exactly as you have it, they will be 21-10, 9-9. That is fairly safely in, just with a much lower seed than we all hoped. If they can win at Iowa or beat IU at home to get that 10th and 11th win, we can at least get a single-digit seed.

If this goes exactly as you have it, they will be 21-10, 9-9. That is fairly safely in, just with a much lower seed than we all hoped. If they can win at Iowa or beat IU at home to get that 10th and 11th win, we can at least get a single-digit seed.

Some posters have previously stated all that matters is how a team does in the tournament.

Well here's a hypothetical for you guys. What if we go 9-9 in Big Ten, make the big dance and win one or two games. Would you consider that a successful year and would you then say Tubby did a good job?

Top Bottom