2009-10 Nonconference Schedule (Update #1)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Will update this as I see or hear reports via the media. By playing in an exempt tournament (Anaheim Classic), I believe the Gophers can play a maximum of 12 (perhaps 13?) nonconference games. My guess is the split will be 8 at The Barn, 1 on the road & 3 (Anaheim Classic) at a neutral site.

Final RPI for 2008-09 included.

Home (2)
North Dakota State (87, NCAA) -- according to the Arrogant Old Fart (AOF)
South Dakota State (283) -- according to the AOF

Road (0)

Neutral/Anaheim Classic (3)
Three of:
West Virginia (21, NCAA), Butler (24, NCAA), Clemson (28, NCAA), UCLA (33, NCAA), Texas A&M (36, NCAA), Portland (120, CIT), Long Beach State (156)

Site TBD (1)
Big 10/ACC Challenge

Just seeing a thread like this gets me pumped for next year. Thanks SS. Love it!!

Don't we know who we'd play already in the Big 10/ACC challenge? I realize the site isn't known.. but isn't it strictly Big Ten #1 Vs. ACC #1, all the way down to whatever? So wouldn't the Gophers be playing ACC #8?

"But isn't it strictly Big Ten #1 Vs. ACC #1, all the way down to whatever?"

No, that's not how they determine the matchups, though I think they do try to match like teams vs. like teams based on preseason expectations. Matchups also determined (in 2-year cycles) by who's due for a home game & who's due for a road game. Next season starts a new cycle, so in theory it's possible the Gophers could get a home game for the 2nd straight season.

This year has proven one thing.

If you want into the NCAA tournament you must play good teams and winning against BCS school teams is a must. I am liking the look of the schedule already and hopefully we can go to Anaheim and win 2 or 3 games against the likes of West Virginia, UCLA, Clemson, and Texas A&M. Not that the other schools are not good Butler has been ranked the last couple years but bigger schools are a must especially ones of this caliber.

Read that we've been talking to Kansas in the Strib

That would definitely pump up the non-conference schedule.

I so want to go to the Anaheim tourney

Remind me when the Anaheim tourney is scheduled...just before Thanksgiving?

As to the ACC/BT challenge opponent, since we finished 8th or something like that, I would guess our opponent to be one of the following (based on the standings):

Maryland
Miami(FL)
Virginia Tech

Just because I know you track them all, the Badgers will be in Maui over Thanksgiving and will have Marquette, UWGB and UWM at home.

If you want into the NCAA tournament you must play good teams and winning against BCS school teams is a must. I am liking the look of the schedule already and hopefully we can go to Anaheim and win 2 or 3 games against the likes of West Virginia, UCLA, Clemson, and Texas A&M. Not that the other schools are not good Butler has been ranked the last couple years but bigger schools are a must especially ones of this caliber.

Butler will be incredible next year...All of their starters return. They started 3 freshman at guards this year. Matt Howard is a work horse down on the block and Gordon Hayward will be among the best mid-major players in the country one day. I would not want to play Butler.

SS....2 of the three words: "Arrogant Old Fart (AOF)"

describe me perfectly. You choose which 2 describe me! LOL

If people missed it, Sid wrote in his column today that Bill Self told him there had been discussions about Kansas playing a game at Williams Arena in the future. Nothing to report yet but I'm pretty excited about the possibility.

Top Bottom