Could gophers miss tourney?

If we miss the tourney, that will be cause to fire Tubby. No excuse to not make the tourney.

We very well could miss the tourney. We need to get to 9 wins. This has all the signs of a team falling apart.

Same as every other year, back to the bubble we go.

Of course it's possible. Our ballhandling is bottom-tier of the Big Ten. Our freethrow shooting? Bottom tier. Our outside shooting? Same. Coaching? Right at the bottom. What do you think an Izzo or a Carmody would do with our size/athleticism? We are getting handled by teams with lesser talent, and this upcoming game in Madison will showcase that yet again. Tubby has never had clue one about offense. The NIT run last year may haunt our program for years to come...got Tubby (and Saul) extended, and stuck we are.

We'd have to finish 9-9 in conference to be legitimately on the bubble IMO. So let's say for argument's sake we go:

@ Wisc L
vs Neb W
vs Iowa W
@ MSU L
vs Ill W
vs Wisc L
@ Iowa L
@ OSU L
vs IU L
vs PSU W
@ Neb W
@ Pur W

That'd put us 21-10 (9-9) in the regular season and probably squarely on the bubble. If we drop any more than 6 games from here on out I think we're cooked, but I still don't think that's likely (best bets - aside from the games I called out as losses above - are vs Illinois and @ Purdue, IMO).

What's embarrassingly pathetic is how easy it is to shut down the gophers' offense. All you have to do is stop the gophers from getting out in transition and throw the 1-3-1 at them. If they aren't hot from 3, then it's game over.

What does Tubby do during practices? Count how much of the U's money he has in his wallet? How many years must we keep watching his teams struggle with zones like this?

Let's relax a bit. This was ugly. We can win at least 5 of the next 7 if we can get our head out of our @sses.

Of course it's possible. Our ballhandling is bottom-tier of the Big Ten. Our freethrow shooting? Bottom tier. Our outside shooting? Same. Coaching? Right at the bottom. What do you think an Izzo or a Carmody would do with our size/athleticism? We are getting handled by teams with lesser talent, and this upcoming game in Madison will showcase that yet again. Tubby has never had clue one about offense. The NIT run last year may haunt our program for years to come...got Tubby (and Saul) extended, and stuck we are.

Both are actually pretty descent before tonight's game.

Both are actually pretty descent before tonight's game.

Exactly. They were shooting 47% from three before this game in conference. This was just a terrible effort, game plan, and execution. Only player that showed up was Mbakwe.

This team will easily make the NCAA tournament

I would have thought this was crazy prior to tonight, but it's now possible (but extremely unlikely). I don't think it's any crazier a thought than predicting losing to Northwestern with almost a week off.

Is this the worst loss in the Tubby era at MN?

Not even close. Northwestern is not 'good' but they are 3-4 in the B1G, not an epically awful team. And it's a B1G road game. I can think of 5 home losses far worse than this in just the last 2 years.

Beat Becky this weekend, and we pretty much lock up our bid barring a complete collapse down the stretch.

Exactly. They were shooting 47% from three before this game in conference. This was just a terrible effort, game plan, and execution. Only player that showed up was Mbakwe.
What's disturbing is that they just lost two straight before this....and instead of righting the ship they lay this turd down. That's what is the confidence/optimism breaker. The team looked absolutely clueless as to what to do in event of a rough night shooting from the outside. We looked like....well....Illinois in their recent slide.

Iowa is no gimmie at home at all. They have beaten us twice in a row and I feel they are difficult match up for us. I would expect us to be 9-9 and I don't want to be a sky is falling guy but if we are going to have any chance to have shot at the 2014 class a decision needs to be made instantly after the season. The contract can be revisited so lets revisit it.

If the B1G is the best conference in basketball, what makes you all think that a 1-loss OOC team with several good wins on their resume couldn't make the Tourney with a sub-.500 B1G record? At 20-11 I'd bet this team would get into the tournament. That said, the last two games were shoulda-wins, and now they have to make these up with wins in should-lose situations to become +.500 in B1G play. A win AT Wisconsin would do wonders to right the ship.

Iowa is no gimmie at home at all. They have beaten us twice in a row and I feel they are difficult match up for us. I would expect us to be 9-9 and I don't want to be a sky is falling guy but if we are going to have any chance to have shot at the 2014 class a decision needs to be made instantly after the season. The contract can be revisited so lets revisit it.

Firing Tubby would lose any chance we have at Tyus/Rashad

I am sorry but 8-10 isn't good enough after back to back 6-12 finishes, this guy needs to be held responsible.

I agree but he has put in us an awful situation no class has been this good since the 99 class but how can a guy be allowed to finish 6-12, 6-12 and say 8-10. If thats good enough for some go a head. Enough excuses this has been nothing but a mess the last 3-4 years and if they miss the tourney its time to pull the plug.

I am sorry but 8-10 isn't good enough after back to back 6-12 finishes, this guy needs to be held responsible.

Fine - let's disregard the terrible luck in the two previous seasons and just go by record and say "let's fire him" - well you better have an excellent option waiting in the wings. Dumping your coach and paying off his salary, while likely sacrficing at least one recruiting class, doesn't seem like a program helper unless you have a damn good replacement.

Top Bottom