Official Northwestern-Gophers Post-Game Thread

What was the worst part of tonight's game?

• Offense

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • FT

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Hustle

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Inability to do anything against 1-3-1 zone?

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Other coaching issues

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We had a request to put post-game thoughts all in one thread. Since this was an ugly game and a bad loss, the vibe will be pretty negative no doubt. This will be your thread to share your frustrations and analysis.

Gripe away!

Unbelievable

Unfu--ing believable.

This is why I hate Northwestern with every ounce of my being.

Maybe I should just hate us instead.

A team in total dissary with one exception.

Trevor.

Maybe its time for Trevor to throw everyone under the bus including tubby.

What a fiasco.

Crappy game. We played bad. We lost ugly at NW. It's happened to us before. It's happened to other teams before. Reminds me of when the Vikings would always lose at Tampa back when Tampa would go 2-14 every year. Ugly. Upsetting Win @ Wisconsin and it'll be forgotten.

Here we go again...

You guys are probably going to be all over me for this, but how is this year any different than the last 2 when we just collapse during Big Ten play. This was by far the ugliest game I have seen all year. Back to the bubble we go.

5-trampoline-dunk-fail-basketball-fail-gifs.gif

I would love to hear Tubby and the players going straight to Williams tonight to practice for a few hours and run laps as soon as the plane lands. Something needs to snap this team out of their daze.

At one point can everyone stop blaming Tubby for everything. Andre and Austin played like idiots and couldn't hit a wide open shot to save the day. All those calling for Welch to play more should realize why he doesn't today.

At one point can everyone stop blaming Tubby for everything. Andre and Austin played like idiots and couldn't hit a wide open shot to save the day. All those calling for Welch to play more should realize why he doesn't today.

Tubby could start by preparing his "best" team to attack a 1-3-1. Looked like 5th graders

Shooting. Offense schemes against the 1-3-1. It's a tie.

Rodney. Two awful games in a row from a senior. At least Dre's a sophomore.

How does he not have an answer for a 1-3-1 with this athletic and long of a team...

This team is ideal for breaking zone schemes other than a 2-3

You guys are probably going to be all over me for this, but how is this year any different than the last 2 when we just collapse during Big Ten play. This was by far the ugliest game I have seen all year. Back to the bubble we go.

How is it different? It's worse. Tubby doesn't have a built-in excuse this year. In fact, the irony is he got the opposite in getting a player BACK unexpectedly (Mbakwe).

I thought the whole program had it all figured out recently. Holy *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# was that wrong.

The team has terrific talent. Terribly coached. Certain coaches outcoach Tubby every year regardless of talent level. Beilein, Ryan and Carmody to name a few. Can't count Izzo because he almost always has better talent. We have a veteran club and we can't handle a 1-3-1 run by a bunch of high school players. Sixth Place Tubby.

When was the last time you saw a player foul out with more than 10 minutes left? Can't blame Tubby for that?

The team has terrific talent. Terribly coached. Certain coaches outcoach Tubby every year regardless of talent level. Beilein, Ryan and Carmody to name a few. Can't count Izzo because he almost always has better talent. We have a veteran club and we can't handle a 1-3-1 run by a bunch of high school players. Sixth Place Tubby.
We haven't played Wisconsin and we blew out Northwestern at home. I wonder if Butler and Duke fans are freaking out like half the people on here. I doubt Illinois fans were either.

Helpside Defense

Anyone who knows basketball - take a look at the body positioning of our 'help' defense. How can D1 players be this poorly coached on defense?

Close 2nd - our offense

Little or no zone penetration or cutting against the 1`- 3 - 1. Late in game Coleman (I think) drove right wing & dished to open Hollins for a 3. Ughh. I dont get it. U can also cut through a zone or use a mofo high post. Help me undresrtand....grrrr to the coaching staff on this one.

We haven't played Wisconsin and we blew out Northwestern at home. I wonder if Butler and Duke fans are freaking out like half the people on here. I doubt Illinois fans were either.

Butler played in backtoback NC games and Duke has won numerous championships and has a good chance this year. Comparing apples to oranges.

Dre had the worst half of basketball i have seen for a point guard. It's hard for a team to score when the point is that brutal. Did he have 6-7 TO's in the second half?

I also agree that coaching didn't have a ton to do with the loss. As players, if you step on the court and all 5 of your guys are better than the other team, you should win regardless of the coach.

Little or no zone penetration or cutting against the 1`- 3 - 1. Late in game Coleman (I think) drove right wing & dished to open Hollins for a 3. Ughh. I dont get it. U can also cut through a zone or use a mofo high post. Help me undresrtand....grrrr to the coaching staff on this one.

Let's not blame the coach for not being ready for the 1-3-1. How were we supposed to expect Northwestern to use that defense? (sarcastic tone)

>Awful guard play tonight = losses in Big Ten
>Did Trevor touch the ball the entire second half?
>My grandma could have had a better FT percentage tonight.
>The next 3 pointer for Rodney should be his last
>NW shocked us with the 1-3-1...we have never seen than from them before. Carmody should be fired on the spot for not using it on us all game every game
>The massaging of hurt egos looked like it did not work this week...if only we had a practice facility

Butler played in backtoback NC games and Duke has won numerous championships and has a good chance this year. Comparing apples to oranges.
Sorry but La Salle is in the same conference. Duke got beat by 30 on the road what would make their fans think they could win a national championships with two chronic injuries?

Top Bottom