Izzo recommends not trying to speed up Wisconsin

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Interesting because the common belief is that a team has to do exactly that to beat the Badgers.

Might have to disagree with Izzo on this one. I'd prefer not to see the Gophers in a grinder with the Badgers. Not saying the Gophers should run (or try to) like chickens with their heads cut off, but if it's a limited-possession game vs. the Badgers I don't like the Gophers' chances. Need to speed the pace up some vs. the Badgers, I think, but easier said than done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ba...lash/2013/01/22/81248_recap.html?sct=uk_t2_a8

Badgers have five losses, in 3 of the 5 the game had at least 63 possessions. In the other two the game 56 and 55 possessins.

If a team can run and not turn the ball over you'll certainly beat Wisconsin by more than 10, but if you turn the ball over and try to run...you'll lose 9 out of 10 times to Wisconsin. They don't turn the ball over. They treat each possession with extreme importance. Last night Wisconsin had 9 turnovers to MSU's 10. To beat the Badgers you have to keep the turnovers to ten or less. If the Gophers can do that they will have a great chance to win in Madison. If they play sloppy like the IU and UM games then they'll lose...and it may be by double digits.

Taking care of the ball against Wisconsin should be the #1 priority for any team. That's how they get you, especially if you allow them to capitalize for a few easy buckets in transition cause of it. Avoid that, and we should be fine. But I highly doubt we'll be able to just simply force them to play faster unless Becky has a sloppy day with the ball, which feels like is really rare.

I will say though, if they do turn it over or when they miss shots, I think you gotta push it a little, try to get something before they set their half court defense.

Top Bottom