1500 Notebook: Two-game slide has served as a 'wake-up call' for Gophers

Andre would be a fine choice to this point, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say Austin has been the Gophers' MVP.
I agree with this. I think the team suffers more when Andre goes to the bench, but I think that Austin has been the team's best all-around player this year.

I agree with this. I think the team suffers more when Andre goes to the bench, but I think that Austin has been the team's best all-around player this year.

Which makes him the most VALUABLE player.

Austin my well be the BEST or most outstanding player.

The old 'valuable vs outstanding' debate.

I think a solid case could be made for either Andre or Austin as the most valuable player. I believe that the team rallies behind Andre as their leader, he seems to have the coolest head of them all.

Valid points, though I would argue 'Dre's absence wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if Tubby didn't insist on doing the 5-for-5 subbing. For example, instead of that initial mass substitution, how about putting Welch in as the back-up PG and letting him play more with the regulars? Welch can & does help this squad, but it's pretty difficult to capitalize on his strengths when he's forced to be the primary option with Oto, EE, Ingram, Mo, Mav, etc.

But that topic has been discussed quite a bit. ...:)

I think a solid case could be made for either Andre or Austin as the most valuable player. I believe that the team rallies behind Andre as their leader, he seems to have the coolest head of them all.

Many will say the most important position is pg and there is a BIG drop off when Andre goes to the bench.

Austin has been the most consistent. I wish he would be more aggressive on offense as he takes mostly outside shots. But he does play within himself.

He is our most reliable defender and usually takes on their best. It seems as Andre has a slow first step which often allows the PG an opp to penetrate.

This team has been exposed by the upper BIG teams. RW needs to step up, get his emotions in check and start leading this team.

I've said it in a different thread, but I'll say it again.

"Play quick, but not in a hurry" ~ John Wooden

This team tends to play in a hurry and it results in a significant problem with turnovers. Tubby can continue to run drill after drill in practice, but until the players have the light bulb turn on upstairs, they will continue to turnover the basketball. Does Rodney's statement "It was a wake-up call" mean that the light bulb turned on? We'll have to see.

The key person to demanding the team play quick, but not in a hurry is the point guard. Andre played all his high school ball as a two guard, not point. He is a very gifted basketball player, but he has not yet risen to the role of point guard. As a point guard he needs to take full control over the team and demand that the team play at the pace that he sets for them. When he begins to play quick, but not in a hurry then the rest of the squad will take on that personality. To be honest, there have been moments when he's done just that and the results have been very good. The problem is that it's very sporadic.

It's clear that Williams and Mbakwe are the seniors and should show senior leadership. However, neither of them have the ball in their hands like a point guard. Andre, whether he likes it or not, has to step up and rise to a whole new level of leadership on this team. He needs to take Julian Welsh and Maverick into his fold and demand excellence at the point guard position as well as emphasize with every player on the team how vastly important it is to make every possession count. When this team rises to the mental challenge of the game, then they will be a force to be reckoned with at a Final Four level. I just don't know yet whether they have it in them to rise to that challenge.

I've said it in a different thread, but I'll say it again.

"Play quick, but not in a hurry" ~ John Wooden

This team tends to play in a hurry and it results in a significant problem with turnovers. Tubby can continue to run drill after drill in practice, but until the players have the light bulb turn on upstairs, they will continue to turnover the basketball. Does Rodney's statement "It was a wake-up call" mean that the light bulb turned on? We'll have to see.

The key person to demanding the team play quick, but not in a hurry is the point guard. Andre played all his high school ball as a two guard, not point. He is a very gifted basketball player, but he has not yet risen to the role of point guard. As a point guard he needs to take full control over the team and demand that the team play at the pace that he sets for them. When he begins to play quick, but not in a hurry then the rest of the squad will take on that personality. To be honest, there have been moments when he's done just that and the results have been very good. The problem is that it's very sporadic.

It's clear that Williams and Mbakwe are the seniors and should show senior leadership. However, neither of them have the ball in their hands like a point guard. Andre, whether he likes it or not, has to step up and rise to a whole new level of leadership on this team. He needs to take Julian Welsh and Maverick into his fold and demand excellence at the point guard position as well as emphasize with every player on the team how vastly important it is to make every possession count. When this team rises to the mental challenge of the game, then they will be a force to be reckoned with at a Final Four level. I just don't know yet whether they have it in them to rise to that challenge.

The players often try to make plays they are not capable of or plays that are not there. Player need to realize what they are capable of and not try to force the issue.

For the record; Andre played PG his senior year.

Valid points, though I would argue 'Dre's absence wouldn't be nearly as noticeable if Tubby didn't insist on doing the 5-for-5 subbing. For example, instead of that initial mass substitution, how about putting Welch in as the back-up PG and letting him play more with the regulars? Welch can & does help this squad, but it's pretty difficult to capitalize on his strengths when he's forced to be the primary option with Oto, EE, Ingram, Mo, Mav, etc.

But that topic has been discussed quite a bit. ...:)

Tubby talked on his radio show about how the 2nd unit was 'beating' the first in practice on Wednesday. Does he let things like that convince him that the units have to 'stay together'? It's clearly not working well at gametime. Tubby's been coaching longer than most of us have been alive, so I guess you trust his judgement, but he is pretty stubborn in this area.

Tubby talked on his radio show about how the 2nd unit was 'beating' the first in practice on Wednesday. Does he let things like that convince him that the units have to 'stay together'? It's clearly not working well at gametime. Tubby's been coaching longer than most of us have been alive, so I guess you trust his judgement, but he is pretty stubborn in this area.

The first unit must have been playing horrendously.

. ... but he is pretty stubborn in this area.

Exactly. Stubborn is the word I think of when I see the 5-for-5. Like a couple others have mentioned, I've given up on seeing its disappearance. I just mumble under my breath, cringe, and cross my fingers when it happens and hope that's not the stretch that costs us the game, especially when the opposing coach leaves all or most of his best players on the floor.

Doubt he uses it as justification to keep them together...would lean more toward tubby calling out the starters to get their head out of their ass and start playing like they're capable of

Top Bottom