Shooter: USC "has the Gophers' Tubby Smith on its radar"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

"There's already whispering that Southern California, which fired Kevin O'Neill as men's basketball coach the other day, has the Gophers' Tubby Smith on its radar. At USC, Smith could end up with $1 million more in annual compensation than he gets from the Gophers, for a total of about $3 million. And he would have state-of-art facilities, including a practice facility like the one he has coveted at Minnesota.

Smith's contract runs through the 2016-17 season but includes an understanding that new terms can be discussed after this season. If he gets the Gophers to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament, it's almost imperative that Minnesota renegotiate."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22428649/charley-walters-zach-parises-parents-enjoying-view-from

Go Gophers!!

If TJ shows up on campus as a student, I would agree that we should rewrite Tubby's contract. If not, we should sell him to the first bidder and let him walk.

per Shooter:

"There's already whispering that Southern California, which fired Kevin O'Neill as men's basketball coach the other day, has the Gophers' Tubby Smith on its radar. At USC, Smith could end up with $1 million more in annual compensation than he gets from the Gophers, for a total of about $3 million. And he would have state-of-art facilities, including a practice facility like the one he has coveted at Minnesota.

Smith's contract runs through the 2016-17 season but includes an understanding that new terms can be discussed after this season. If he gets the Gophers to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament, it's almost imperative that Minnesota renegotiate."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22428649/charley-walters-zach-parises-parents-enjoying-view-from

Go Gophers!!

So after six years Tubbys wins his first ncaa tournament games at MN, and a sweet 16 appearance entitles him to a new contract? What am I missing?

So after six years Tubbys wins his first ncaa tournament games at MN, and a sweet 16 appearance entitles him to a new contract? What am I missing?
your missing the fact that other school will be all over Tubby and can entice him to make the move to their school

What do you think station19? Seriously, let Tubby go and start again, with a new, unknown entity as coach?!

I've been borderline on Tubby for quite awhile. Let's see how this season plays out.

Huge 12 months coming up:
How well will this team do.
Will next year fall to bottom tier.
What will the recruiting class of 2014 look like.

Tubby is 60 and does not strike me as a lifer. He is fairly compensated. If he or Donna hated the weather or anything else in MN, he'd be gone already. Minnesota is a better job than USC. Unless he and Woody don't get along, he's not going anywhere.

your missing the fact that other school will be all over Tubby and can entice him to make the move to their school

Not missing the fact.

Keep in mind his contract which was renegotiated by Teague, has bonuses for reaching sweet 16.

Originally you pay Tubby one the the highest salaries in the Big Ten. After five years and no NCAA wins you extend him and include bonuses for reaching the sweet 16. Then after reaching the sweet 16 you are supposed to re-do his contract again?

I would think reaching the sweet 16 once in six years should have been an expectation of the original contract.

Need to keep Tubby, if 2014 is as important as everyone believes it to be, every single recruit will be lost by bringing in a new coach... unless it's Brad Stevens, but come on....

They just fired an old coach, I highly doubt they'd want a guy that's even older than O'Neill.

I've got Victoria Silvstedt on my radar. I've probably got about the same chance as USC/Tubby.

Completely not worried. 3 million in California isn't much better than 2 million in Minnesota in terms of cost of living (home, etc.). Tubby has three nice classes of local kids coming that he will get his share of here. USC isn't going to do this and neither is Tubby.

Completely not worried. 3 million in California isn't much better than 2 million in Minnesota in terms of cost of living (home, etc.). Tubby has three nice classes of local kids coming that he will get his share of here. USC isn't going to do this and neither is Tubby.

Phil Mickelson agrees with you.

If TJ shows up on campus as a student, I would agree that we should rewrite Tubby's contract. If not, we should sell him to the first bidder and let him walk.

So you want to get rid of Tubby if he can't land Jones?

Tubby is 60 and does not strike me as a lifer. He is fairly compensated. If he or Donna hated the weather or anything else in MN, he'd be gone already. Minnesota is a better job than USC. Unless he and Woody don't get along, he's not going anywhere.

Disagree with the bolded.

The fundamentals of USC are a lot better than Minnesota's.

That being said I think Tubby likes it here and would stay, I only see him leaving for Maryland if ever.

And with Maryland joining the B1G I think the window for that is closing quickly.

Minnesota is a better job than USC.

Why do you say that? In what regard is MN better job than USC?

Facilities? No and not close
Budget? No
Education? No
Climate? No
Home Recruiting Area? No
Tradition? No
NCAA Tourney Success? No
Conference Tourney Success? No
Conference Reg Season Success? No

What exactly is it that makes MN better than USC?

Disagree with the bolded.

The fundamentals of USC are a lot better than Minnesota's.

That being said I think Tubby likes it here and would stay, I only see him leaving for Maryland if ever.

And with Maryland joining the B1G I think the window for that is closing quickly.

Which fundamentals besides weather? Being a football school? Being UCLA's red-headed step-brother? Playing in a worse conference? The arena is nicer but often half-full. I don't see it.

I agree that Maryland is the job I always thought he'd leave for. It opened 2 years ago. They hired someone else. That window is closed.

@DarrenWolfson: #Gophers official on this Tubby-USC talk: "Not buying it at all. Zero chance of it happening. 100% false."

Go Gophers!!

Why do you say that? In what regard is MN better job than USC?

Facilities? No and not close
Budget? No
Education? No
Climate? No
Tradition? No
NCAA Tourney Success? No
Conference Tourney Success? No
Conference Reg Season Success? No

What exactly is it that makes MN better than USC?

Recruiting as the only D-1 school in a major metro area instead of an afterthought to UCLA. Being the only D-1 school in a state of 5 million people. Better fan support. Tradition and past success are largely a wash though USC hasn't had a run as successful as we had in the 90's.

Are USC's facilities nicer? Yes, though I'd take a full Barn on game day over a half-full shiny new arena. Is the weather nicer? Of course, but that is true of most jobs. USC is not in the upper-half of jobs in the Pac 12, IMO.

Recruiting as the only D-1 school in a major metro area instead of an afterthought to UCLA. Being the only D-1 school in a state of 5 million people. Better fan support. Tradition and past success are largely a wash though USC hasn't had a run as successful as we had in the 90's.

Are USC's facilities nicer? Yes, though I'd take a full Barn on game day over a half-full shiny new arena. Is the weather nicer? Of course, but that is true of most jobs. USC is not in the upper-half of jobs in the Pac 12, IMO.

Our run in the 90s happened before most of the current high school juniors were out of diapers. We haven't won an NCAA tourney game since 1997. USC has been to two Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight since then. The new USC coach will always have a larger pool of talented, homegrown basketball players to recruit.

Which fundamentals besides weather? Being a football school? Being UCLA's red-headed step-brother? Playing in a worse conference? The arena is nicer but often half-full. I don't see it.

I agree that Maryland is the job I always thought he'd leave for. It opened 2 years ago. They hired someone else. That window is closed.

1. The weather.

2. Los Angeles is the most fertile recruiting ground west of Chicago year in and year out.

3. The conference sucks, and your chance to win titles is a lot better than stepping into the B1G. Your only consistent legitimate threat in the Pac-12 is Arizona, and they are just "coming back". UCLA isn't a dumpster fire, but they are hardly the Bruins of old. Oregon is an enigma because of Nike $$$ and the possibility that Altman brings them back.

4. The weather.

5. The facilities are much better than Minnesota's.

6. Did I mention the weather?

Top Bottom