Sounds like the new b-ball practice facility is GOING to happen....

Reaction score
President Bruininks quote in Sid's latest Mpls Tribune article: "We've got the best basketball coach in the country, he is happy here, and we are going to build that basketball pavilion and keep him happy," Bruininks said.

Nice to see we finally have an administration at the U who fully understands that you can have quality academics AND fully support your athletic programs at the same time. That they are not mutually exclusive to a top-notch university. Some previous administrations over the last 30 years or so were so one sided on this issue that they "couldn't see the forest for the trees" and unfortunately really hampered the U's ability specifically in football to get the program back where it was when Bierman and Warmath were at the helm.

Thank you Pres. Bruininks! Thank you! :clap:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/41662642.html?page=1&c=y

This is good news. I will be interested to see where they decide to put it. Anyone know or have ideas?

I thought

This is good news. I will be interested to see where they decide to put it. Anyone know or have ideas?

I thought it would be adjacent, to the west of Williams, towards Dinkytown ... In any case I hope they build a heated skyway to Tubby's condo to boot ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Feb 18 2009

I've said it a few times, but everyone needs to take a deep breath on the whole practice facility thing. I have heard from a couple people that there's more money in place than is being publicly ballyhooed, and that this isn't as far away from happening as many people seem to think.

Jan 29 2009

I can't confirm anything, but in overhearing some whispers from a couple folks that know, there is more private donation money set up for this facility than has been reported publicly. I don't know anything about specific plans, but do know that this will happen sooner rather than later. People can cool out in worrying that plans (or lack thereof) for a practice facility will be a reason for Coach Smith to leave.

All congratulatory cards can be sent directly to my Minneapolis address. Thank you.

ParkingLotGopher
It would seem as though you've had your ear to the ground regarding this matter.

Now there's a new question: how will fat pat try to connive this into being a negative story?

Is this parking lot just west of Williams Arena the area they are thinking about building the practice facility?

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 18

Anyone have an clue on a time line...I remember how exciting it was when plans for the football stadium were revealed. I know they are doing things to save money with this project, but i have no reason to believe this practice facility will be anything short of top notch.

Facilities are Critical

no matter who the coach is. There was an article in the WSJ around bowl time that talked about schools that made decisions to invest in facilities, instead of high coaches salaries, and had good success in doing so. Utah was the one that struck me. They lost coaches to higher profile and higher dollar schools, but have continued to be competitive with lower paid coaches. They cite their willingness to invest in facilities as the reason for their scuccess.

Facilities are important, and its not just keeping up with the Michigan State's, or keeping the coach. If we expect these guys to be students, it seems only right that the practice facilities be such that practices are not a scheduling nightmare for the team, as Tubby indicated a while back. That having been said, raise the money through private donations. I am willing to pony up for one square foot on a new floor if they ask.

Is this parking lot just west of Williams Arena the area they are thinking about building the practice facility?

There was mention somewhere that it was to be built to use the current locker rooms. Would that mean it is on the other side of Williams Arena? The street layout has changed with TCF Bank stadium.

This is where I recall it being built. Just thinking about all of the area around Williams, where else would there be room to put it?

I just hope they build a silo adjacent to Williams Arena as part of this project! How cool would it be if the Barn got a Silo!

I posted this on thread a week or two ago it's just a quick idea of what I came up with where the practice area could go. It could be the red area or one or more of the Yellow Blue or Green areas if they are continuos meaning that they wouldn't do both the yellow and green area's.

Attachments

• Williams.JPG
    Williams.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 9

Top Bottom