Gopher Women's Hockey: Bozek Receives Nomination for Hockey Humanitarian Award

Twynntown

Reaction score
Senior captain Megan Bozek of the University of Minnesota women’s hockey team has been listed as one of the 11 nominees for the 18th BNY Mellon Wealth Management Hockey Humanitarian Award. This annual award is given to one men’s and women’s hockey player at the Division I or III level who excels not only on the ice, but those that show exceptional personal character off the ice in the community.

Bozek, who is one of the highest scoring defenseman in the country this year, has been highly active in the community with volunteering at local schools, Feed My Starving Children and HopeKids. Over her four-year span at Minnesota, the Buffalo, Grove, Ill. native has accumulated over 200 hours of volunteering/community service.

The All-American defenseman, who has suited up with the U.S. Women’s National Team the last two seasons, is third on the Gopher squad in points with 37 (12g-25a). Earlier this season, she became only the fourth defenseman in Minnesota history to reach the 100-point career milestone. Now, Bozek sits second on that list and is just eight points away from matching school record holder Winny Brodt (134 points).

Finalists will be announced in February, and this year’s recipient will be introduced and honored in a ceremony on Friday, April 12 in Pittsburgh as part of the 2013 Men’s D-I Frozen Four weekend. Below is a list of all 11 nominees.

Bozek and the Gophers are currently 24-0-0 on the year and are on an NCAA record 32-game winning streak, which is also tied with the NCAA unbeaten streak. They hit the road this weekend to face rival Wisconsin on Friday and Sunday with both games beginning at 2 p.m.

**Courtesy Cory Hall & University of Minnesota Athletic Department

Top Bottom