Who's Your Dream Coach (hypothetical)?

JDGopher

Reaction score
Let's say you are starting a new men's basketball program and are given enough of a budget (and have enough clout, etc) to hire any coach you want to run your program. Let's assume that (somehow) all coaches in the country would accept your offer, so you have unlimited options.

I initially thought of Coach K, or someone like that, but I think you'd want to go a bit younger since I bet he has only a few years left. But maybe that's just me.

A list of people I'd want, somewhat in order:

1. Bill Self
2. Mark Few
3. Brad Stevens

Guys I'd also consider: Sean Miller, Shaka Smart, Tom Crean, John Calipari

Guys I wish were younger and then they'd be on the list: Rick Pitino, Coach K, Tom Izzo, John Beilein, Bo Ryan, Tubby, Roy, etc., etc.

So... Who's your coach? (also, let me know if you think I really forgot someone).

Shaka Smart would bring his HAVOC type of play to the BIG. IMO

I would go with a young guy. As much as I like VCU's style of play I would list Brad Stevens as #1 and Shaka Smart as #2.

Tom Izzo, easily. Maybe Billy Donovan. I sense Bill Self and his slick hair have dirty laundry, wouldn't be shocked if Donovan does too.

Realistically, Brad Stevens, Tim Miles or Shaka Smart.

Izzo is a bit younger than I thought (57), so I'd probably put him right up there on my list.

I would go with Brad Stevens, but Billy Donovan and Shaka Smart would also be high on my list.

Flip Saunders. His NBA experience would attract recruits and I think he's just a great coach and person. He obviously went to the U so if he were ever to coach in college i'd think we'd be close to the top of his list. Shaka and Stevens would be a close #2 and #3. Obviously people would love to have Calipari but I love watching the players develop and I think you cheer that bit more for players who aren't one and dones.

I believe Dr Don voted for himself again but who knows what thread it ended up on.:rolleyes:

Didn't know he was busted for cheating at Kentucky?

Yeah...given both Kentucky's and Cal's past and his and continued association with World Wide Wes, I'm sure everything is pure as the driven snow there. No doubt.

Also, I have some land to sell. It's a great deal! PM me for details!

If I thought Brad Stevens would stay long term it would be him no doubt.

Did you see the video of his team hitting the game winning shot against Gonzaga?

Has his arms crossed mouth closed from the inbound to when the shot went in.

Quietly walked towards Few to shake his hand.

Dude is icy.

If I thought Brad Stevens would stay long term it would be him no doubt.

Did you see the video of his team hitting the game winning shot against Gonzaga?

Has his arms crossed mouth closed from the inbound to when the shot went in.

Quietly walked towards Few to shake his hand.

Dude is icy.
I missed the end of the game, but I saw his quick interview at halftime and like the way he handled himself. He would be my choice. I think I read that they've beaten 3 teams that were in the top ten this year.

I caught the interview of Stevens after the game with Gonzaga. He said he tells his kids that he doesn't care as much about winning as he does about competing so that you have no regrets. Very classy and he seems to represent integrity in everything he does. I'd love to have Stevens as a coach with the Gophers.

I'll take those boring wins.

So let me get this straight, you'd take the head coach of the Gophers biggest rival because he wins, even if it is boring? So you are telling me Bo Ryan is essentially the best coach in the nation. He wins so much more than any other coach that his boring play and status as the head coach of the Gophers biggest rival doesn't matter. To you, he wins more than Stevens, Izzo, K, Shaka Smart, Calipari, Donovon, even someone like Phill Jackson or Doc Rivers?

That is an outrageous view point by anyone, let alone a Gophers fan. Little confused here ...

So let me get this straight, you'd take the head coach of the Gophers biggest rival because he wins, even if it is boring? So you are telling me Bo Ryan is essentially the best coach in the nation. He wins so much more than any other coach that his boring play and status as the head coach of the Gophers biggest rival doesn't matter. To you, he wins more than Stevens, Izzo, K, Shaka Smart, Calipari, Donovon, even someone like Phill Jackson or Doc Rivers?

That is an outrageous view point by anyone, let alone a Gophers fan. Little confused here ...

scher...with all of the names you dropped??? I'd be confused too. :confused:

Top Bottom