Dre JUST CAN'T PICK UP Two First Half Fouls

Reaction score
The Gophers' biggest mistake in the Michigan game was because Dre picked up that second foul. He was being aggressive but the team simply can't afford him to be off of the floor against Mich, Indie, OSU, MSU or even WIS for extended periods. Dre must himself appreciate his seminal role on this team and not pick up rataliation or impulsive fouls. Julian can cover against slower opposing points but not against at least 4 of the first 5 teams' PGs just listed. Thus I hope the coaching staff preaches this point to Dre and makes it clear to Coleman, Austin, Julian and even Rodney that they must help Dre if he gets broken down by the opposing PG so Dre stays on the floor.

Dre is THE most important player to be on the floor for this team most of the time. As such, you're correct. On the other hand, that first foul was total crap.

Why Tubby doesn't go straight to Welch this year as Dre's backup is beyond me. Mav looks frightened out there in the big games. Welch holds his own. Go to Welch to stem the tide. Also, looks like perhaps Welch got his shooting touch back with some nice shots last game. We can hope, anyway.

I agree - and get a lead and hang on to it - by the way anyone see PennState choke with 5 missesd ft's in the last 20 seconds or so...

Dre's 2 first half fouls chaged the flow of the game. One of them he was defending closely and got the call trying to stop what would have been an easy shot. The other one came out of frustration after he turned the ball over. That is the one he has to learn to not do.

We need him 35 minutes a game. Mav gave up 2 turnovers and really almost had 2 others in 4 minutes. He has ability but he does not seem to be as intense with the ball sometimes as he needs to be and other times he just trying to force something that is not there.

It's been a problem for 2 years now. He has to realize how important he is to the team. The back up point isn't a big deal if dre is not in foul trouble.

Here is how it works, sports fans. When I was a pup, I went into a game so hyped up and super mental, that I started the game saying to myself "I am gonna be so aggressive I might just foul out tonight." I was aggressive, true to my word to myself, that my reactions were such that I did what I wanted to do, and did not foul out. It was a mind game to myself, and I played out of my mind. In addition, I have been out of my mind ever since.

GO GOPHERS!!! BE AGGRESSIVE AND GOPHER IT!

Another option is to let him play in that situation. There's no rule that says you have to sit a guy with 2 fouls until the second half.

bottom line however is avoid the frustration fouls that Dre (and Rodney) picked up. To be an elite team, we DO need Dre on the floor for 32-37 minutes per game. That said, Tubby needs to commit to the big Dre minutes too.

Adreneline is a powerful influence over the mind;applying it wisely is the key.

Another option is to let him play in that situation. There's no rule that says you have to sit a guy with 2 fouls until the second half.

No way. Especially when Welch was giving quality minutes. If he picks up that third foul he is F-ed. Any coach does that.

Top Bottom