Guard play

EG#9

Reaction score
I know I am not exactly breaking any news with the post, but watching the Tournament this weekend I have been struck by the guard play. It seems like a playmaking guard (one who can create for others and make shots on his own) is a mandatory component of a Sweet 16 team. Even teams that lost in the round of 32 like Marquette, Oklahoma State, and Siena had some impressive guard play.

I hope one of our current guards can become what I've seen this weekend, but it will take a ton of work for Nolen, Westbrook, or Joseph to reach that level. I hope we are looking heavily at out of state guards for the 2010 class.

Guards that can score from 3, and drive to the rim seem to be the key to a deep tourney run. And most of the time it seems they are creating their own shot. If Westbrook can cut down his turnovers and poor shot selection he might be more effective but Im not sure his game will change a lot from what we've seen thus far though. Nolen obviously really needs to become a better shooter, but I would even settle for him learning to finish in traffic with confidence, because he can get to the rim when he wants, but for some reason he cannot finish. I really hope Devoe can build a more well rounded game. He obviously can shoot, but needs to get stronger and more agressive in going to the rim. Cobb and Bryant Allen who knows.

We will also obviously need to have a well rounded team to win games, get to the tourney and all that, but I agree that having guards that can take over the end of games is a real key.

See Jonny Flynn, Kalin Lucas, Levance Fields, Ty Lawson, Sherron Collins.....

Top Bottom